New Article: Explosive Conditioning for MMA

EZA,

Thanks for the explanation. It's much appreciated.

When is the book coming out because following these concepts in thread form is giving me a headache?

I like to loop my HR monitor through the draw string of my shorts. I haven't sparred that way but for conditioning it is out of the way of the gloves and dosen't take a lot of shock. I suppose sparring someone would have to hit me pretty low to hit the monitor.

I'm trying to have it out by the middle of fall or so but it always takes me longer than I expect. The book is going to cover every aspect of strength and conditioning for the final 8 weeks of preparing for a fight. I'll have all the tests I use to analyze exactly where your strengths and weaknesses are and then a blueprint of exactly what to do week by week to get yourself in fight shape. I'm also filming some high level guys I'm preparing for fights in the UFC and DREAM now so I can put it on a DVD to go with it. Even if you're not preparing for a fight there will be a lot of methods and techniques people have never heard of or seen before that are incredibly effective. Anyway, hopefully it'll be done in the fall but I'll post bits and pieces of it on here as I work on it.

Is it going to be an e-book, or a regular paper book? Where will it be available for purchase?

It will be a regular paper back, probably around 100-150 pages or so plus the DVD of training footage. I've already got some great footage of Rich Franklin, Mach Sakurai and Jorge Gurgel all working out together. I'll get a website up in a month or two where I'll start posting videos and blogs of fighters I'm preparing for fights along with new articles and you'll be able to purchase it there. I'll keep it reasonably priced. I'm open to suggestions about what people want covered in the book.

I'm still trying to get a grip on everything you've covered in here already, lol. So much of this is new to me that it's a bit overwhelming at times. I'm just trying to take it all in for now, then I'm going to start a Smolov cycle when I get back from vacation then after that I'll be looking at customizing my workouts some.

Man, your book/dvd combo sounds sweet. Keep us updated, because I know myself and a lot of the others here will be excited to check it out.

Wow I was going to start a thread asking how to increase my speed and etc but I had the dubbs, and magically this thread appears. Thanks so much man!

This is a great thread, I'm also a little curious how Rich Franklin has been coming along, it's been posted on these boards that his training methodology in the past has looked weak, his ability to overcome that is a testament to his intensity and determination.

Now that he's hooked up with a legitimate top trainer is he showing significantly better results?

EZA I think I speak for other people too: stop fucking about on the internet and write your book already! I want it NOW!!!

Very well thought out!
Thanks for the post !

I'm busy working on the book, look for it to be out by late fall and I guarantee there is not another book like it on conditioning for MMA. The title is "8 Weeks Out" and it will go day by day, week by week, through the final 8 weeks of training for a fight. A lot of the methodology I'll cover has never been written about before that I've ever seen. I'll have a website up with more information and some good training videos and a fighter's blog up one of these days.

Good shit. I'm looking forward to it Joel.

i have a question re; conditioning vs skill training.

for a hobby mma player like myself who is at most going to be training 10 hours a week over 7 or 8 sessions

should i be doing extra work eg wegiths or conditioning or should that time be concentrating on skill work

what i mean is say i have 8 sessions
3 bjj 3 boxing then 2 weights or something
or would i be better having 4 bjj and 4 boxing

i hope thats clear

thanks

In that scenario I would still suggest doing 1-2 lifting sessions per week simply because strength training causes a huge release of hormones that stimulate a lot of important processes in the body to take place faster, and because its important for injury prevention and performance in MMA to strengthen certain ares of the body like the hips, low back, and shoulders in particular. I would do your conditioning work as part of your MMA at the end of training or do some extra work on the weekends. If you were to prepare for a fight then obviously you would want to increase your conditioning accordingly.

Good to see ya Joel. I thought you'd disappeared on us.

How's the book coming? Any interesting developments?

I'll tell you one thing, writing a book takes forever. It'll be awhile but I'll get it done sooner or later. Look for it by the end of fall. Next week we'll have 5 guys in town all preparing for fights in September so that'll slow me down for awhile too.

Back