New Article: Explosive Conditioning for MMA

No problem, I'll finish it up the rest of the article and try to answer the remaining questions from people's post over the weekend.

The aerobic base necessary to establish is individual specific and sports specific but if you're looking for broad generalizations then in MMA if your resting heart rate is down around 50 and you can maintain a pretty good pace in the ring or on the mat while keeping your heart rate down it's a pretty safe bet you have a decent aerobic base to work with.

You should also look at your heart rate recovery and try to get it back down into the low 130s and 140s between rounds, that ia also an indicator of your aerobic base because it's a fairly good indicator the activty of your parasympathetic nervous system.

EZA, excellent post here and in general throughout the forum.

i have a question.

what books would you recomend for someone looking to learn about
training?

im interested in something more theoretical(as opposed to something that just has routines in it) . do you think it is better to read books on human biology in general ?

thanks

For general understanding of training in general read The Stress of Life by Hans Selye or Why Zebras Don't get Ulcers by Sapolski. Either of them will provide an excellent foundation for future learning. From there I would suggest Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Special Strength Training by Verkhoshansky and Adaptations in Sports Training by Viru. After that you can get Supertraining by Siff or any of the rest of Verkhoshansky's books. These books will provide you with all the learning you are looking for.

The aerobic base necessary to establish is individual specific and sports specific but if you're looking for broad generalizations then in MMA if your resting heart rate is down around 50 and you can maintain a pretty good pace in the ring or on the mat while keeping your heart rate down it's a pretty safe bet you have a decent aerobic base to work with.

You should also look at your heart rate recovery and try to get it back down into the low 130s and 140s between rounds, that ia also an indicator of your aerobic base because it's a fairly good indicator the activty of your parasympathetic nervous system.

When you talk about the low 130's and 140s, what age range are you taking into account. I assume 140's would be early 20's and 140's would be nearing mid 30s?

In a high intensity but well paced 2 minute round I wouldn't expect to see your heart rate go above 160-170 and it should get back down into the low 130s or below after a minute of rest if you're well conditioned.

Hey EZA, I picked up a Polar F6 and tried this out yesterday. I did three rounds with all out intensity on the heavy bag with varying combinations. My average peak HR over 3 rounds was 166 and my maximum peak was 167. During the 1 minute rest period my HR dropped to an average of 141 over the 3 rounds and my lowest rating was 138 before round 3 started.

What's your opinion on my numbers and do you have any suggestions on how to improve them? Thanks!

Hey EZA, I picked up a Polar F6 and tried this out yesterday. I did three rounds with all out intensity on the heavy bag with varying combinations. My average peak HR over 3 rounds was 166 and my maximum peak was 167. During the 1 minute rest period my HR dropped to an average of 141 over the 3 rounds and my lowest rating was 138 before round 3 started.

What's your opinion on my numbers and do you have any suggestions on how to improve them? Thanks!

*gets out pen and paper in advance for reply*

*realises this is the internet and everything is written down*

*surfs ebay*

Monger,

How long were your bag rounds? If they were 5 minute rounds those heart rates sound fine for an off-season level of conditioning. Prior to a fight you'd want to be able to get down to the low 130s from the upper 170s and low 180s. Getting those numbers better is the result of your entire training program from your skill work to your strength and conditioning work.

The 130s-140s is just the range of Heart Rate Recovery that I've seen that is ideal after working with fighters over the years, the lower the better.

EZA,

The rounds were only 2 mins because that's all I have to fight. The resting period was 1 min. Does this change anything? I'm actually fighting in about 4 weeks in Muay Thai.

Monger,

After only a 2 minute round you should be able to get your heart rate into the low 130s at least if you're well conditioned. My goal with UFC fighters is to get their heart rate down that low in between intense 5 minute rounds so after only 2 minutes if you're well conditioned it should easily get down to 130 or below with proper training.

The easiest way to start working on this is to let it come down to the low 130s between rounds rather than going on the standard 1 minute interval. Use that mark as a guide for all your intervals for the next couple of weeks rather than set time periods. As you continue your training and conditioning you should see the time it takes to get down that low decreasing and if you do things right the time it takes should get down to the 1 minute mark within 2-3 weeks. If you can maintain a high pace and consistently get it into the low 130s between rounds for however many rounds your fight is, it's a good indication you're ready to go.

Monger,

After only a 2 minute round you should be able to get your heart rate into the low 130s at least if you're well conditioned. My goal with UFC fighters is to get their heart rate down that low in between intense 5 minute rounds so after only 2 minutes if you're well conditioned it should easily get down to 130 or below with proper training.

The easiest way to start working on this is to let it come down to the low 130s between rounds rather than going on the standard 1 minute interval. Use that mark as a guide for all your intervals for the next couple of weeks rather than set time periods. As you continue your training and conditioning you should see the time it takes to get down that low decreasing and if you do things right the time it takes should get down to the 1 minute mark within 2-3 weeks. If you can maintain a high pace and consistently get it into the low 130s between rounds for however many rounds your fight is, it's a good indication you're ready to go.

I'd never heard that before, but damn that's a good idea. I like that.

Yes using heart rates to dictate your work:rest intervals has many applications when it comes to conditioning. It's much more effective than using standardized intervals all the time - see Jorge Gurgel's comments about his improvement in heart rates as a result of this approach in his interview on here.

Eza, how in the world are you supposed to sell your book if you keep leaking your own material on the Internet? :)

Eza, how in the world are you supposed to sell your book if you keep leaking your own material on the Internet? :)

quiet you!!

*presses print screen button again and again and again*

I'll still buy it just on principle. Gotta show support to those who are so willing to help us all.

Im getting the good feeling that we only are seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

Monger,

Thanks a lot, EZA. I'll try this approach ASAP. I only have 3 weeks of training left so I'll give it my best. I wish I knew this 8 weeks ago :D

Back