Social New APA Guidelines for raising Boys: Masculinity = harmful

Suppressing everything is what qualifies as masculinity now?

This was kind of my approach to this idea too lol. I don’t think of masculinity when I think of suppressing emotions.

Is there really such a thing as "Traditional masculinity"?

There was a time when the most masculine of men, the "alphas" of society, wore dresses, wigs and flamboyant colors. And these were much harder times than ours.

Standards of what is deemed masculine or not, change with the times. But the spirit of "masculinity", if we can define there to be such a thing, will remain the same, regardless of time and place. And it will always be a force for both good and evil.

Emotional suppression, as some have stated, is not really a "masculine" trait, more of a "humble worker bee" trait for blue collar types. The kind of a guy who is expected to work 9 to 5 every day without complaints, taking shit from his bosses and just about everybody else. It has more to do with worker culture than "manliness". The "masculine" response to emotions is to act out on them, rather than suppress. The loud and obnoxious type is seen as more "masculine", than the silent, stable, humble type.

Trump has often been declared a "toxic" person, and a lot of that has had to do with him putting no effort into suppressing his emotions, in favour of making rational decisions.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that the social engineers are willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak when it comes to gender roles. I'll be raising my boy to be a man, however.

Reported...to the mods on this forum...and to the authorities for child abuse.

How dare you

Horatio Nelson the man Byron described as 'Britannia's God of War' who's statue stands on a tall column in the center of our capital was a somewhat short and slightly built man and by all accounts a warm tactile and considerate person and probably not at all what some shit head sherdoggers would consider an Alpha Male .

It's intelligence, confidence, assertiveness, physical fitness, virility and in recent times apparently just having the fucking spine to tell things as they are.

Not sure. These may be what differentiates the ''good" men from the losers. But not possessing the attributes you mention does not someone 'feminine'. So they are not necessarily differentiating in that sense.

The APA also advocates for transitional surgery and hormone blockers (permanent and irreversible methods that aren't supported scientifically to a satisfactory degree, with regards to success), while condemning conversion therapy (non-permanent, reversible method of counseling).

The organization should be treated with suspicion.

It's true.

You need to raise your boys to show emotion or else the crowd won't buy their comebacks.

You've got to know how to sell and get the heel his heat in order to be a true baby face.

So basically people who impose their will with no empathy for others make life suck for others...

Yep, sounds like America.

How can such a small pocket of our population have so much power over societal standards?

The APA also advocates for transitional surgery and hormone blockers (permanent and irreversible methods that aren't supported scientifically to a satisfactory degree, with regards to success), while condemning conversion therapy (non-permanent, reversible method of counseling).

The organization should be treated with suspicion.

It is possible that one can think the first should be treated with great caution, and the second is abusive. "Non-permanent" has no bearing on whether it has any efficacy or not.

Suppressing masculinity seems to be working well for young Japanese men

I read the article but not source in it. I didn't see anything that crazy. It'd be great if more dudes were cool being themselves and stopped the chest puffing and pretense, then we'd have less insecure dicks trying to live up to "being a man", whatever the fuck their definition of that is. That shit causes problems for everyone around including the individual.

Who said they were pretending and "not being themselves"?

Trump has often been declared a "toxic" person, and a lot of that has had to do with him putting no effort into suppressing his emotions, in favour of making rational decisions.

Emotional and irrational is a toxic combination.

Think of it like a cultural strawman argument. Complete suppression of emotion has never been a traditional masculine virtue and has never been encouraged in any widespread way in the US. I do see men encouraged to show a bit of stoicism and to learn to control their emotions, which I think are also healthy for women as well, but that's a far cry from what they are describing here.

I do believe that there are forms of masculinity that are unhealthy, and the same goes for femininity as well. A good example would be young men who grow up without fathers to teach them a bit of stoicism and how to control their feelings. These young men have a higher chance of being aggressive and violent, spending time in jail, dropping out of school and drug addiction than their peers. But people who lament toxic masculinity almost never mean that.

The unhealthy aspects of Masculinity is not rooted purely in Masculinity at its more rooted in humans primal behavior to be competitive its more toxic animality.

I hear a lot of Handsome Men complain that the rich uglies always get the women and they tend to dispise women who date uglier men because they are richer than mr.handsome calling them diggers,money honey whorw etc.

But thats just some view relationships and security women wants a secured environment for their kids as well.

In before "You sound ugly"

It's too bad many people will simply over-react to the concept of harmful masculinity based on headlines and not take the time to read the report itself.
https://www.apa.org/about/policy/boys-men-practice-guidelines.pdf

It's worth looking at. They address many of the things that people say are gendered against men and boys and provide guidelines for how to minimize the psychological impact of them, including gender bias in therapy itself.

As the father to a son, it would be irresponsible to simple dismiss something like this without thoroughly reading and digesting it. The contents directly address both myself and my child and could provide life benefiting information I wouldn't have otherwise.

Because reading is so femfem

Horatio Nelson the man Byron described as 'Britannia's God of War' who's statue stands on a tall column in the center of our capital was a somewhat short and slightly built man and by all accounts a warm tactile and considerate person and probably not at all what some shit head sherdoggers would consider an Alpha Male .

Lil.Horatio loves em big Sailors I heard.

Obviously some forms of hypermasculinity can be harmful to society, but to speak of it as if there isn't a mirror image of that from the female population, I.E : Hyper sensitivity, emotional instability, and fascist behavior etc is just sexist, misleading, and politically motivated.

It's disgusting and I fell vindicated every time I see radical feminism creep more and more into science.

I predicted this 10 years ago on these forums many times.

It's true.

You need to raise your boys to show emotion or else the crowd won't buy their comebacks.

You've got to know how to sell and get the heel his heat in order to be a true baby face.
Go out and get some fans.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Back