International NBA cowtowing to China

How much is the NBA beholden to China?

• Total voters
LOL. I can tell you didn't read the thread . Everything you said in your first paragraph has already been acknowledged and talked about. You're like the person that shows up late for a party and all the booze is gone.

Uh, okay thanks for that. I guess that makes you the drunk turd in the corner?

I think you have a fundamental misreading of the typical Han Chinese mindset.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny.../china-nba-hong-kong-basketball-fans.amp.html

The people who need to get upset are all of the world’s non-mainland-Chinese. Those “I stand with HK” signs should be waved at every game until the NBA comes to understand they can’t afford to be the CCP’s henchmen. Same for Blizzard and every other corporation that attempts to enforce China’s will

I see, well sort of. How exactly is the NBA the Party's henchmen again?

I see, well sort of. How exactly is the NBA the Party's henchmen again?

Preventing players answering and media from asking questions about the subject, fans getting ejected from games for HK tee shirts, etc. All shit that would be illegal for our government to coerce. Yet we’re supposed to tolerate it from fucking China?

Preventing players answering and media from asking questions about the subject, fans getting ejected from games for HK tee shirts, etc. All shit that would be illegal for our government to coerce. Yet we’re supposed to tolerate it from fucking China?

Wasn't the fan ejection in a foreign country? Not sure how NBA is responsible for that. As for the blocking of a question, I'm really don't think that equates to the league being a henchman. Not at all.

for real.
A guy like Silver will alway sell out America for silver and gold.

NO, It was in Philadelphia!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...m-a-game-in-philly-for-yelling-free-hong-kong

You seem determined to be on the wrong side of this issue

Okay so that's lame they got kicked out. They should be able to wear their shirts but yelling political stuff and blocking someone's view with a sign it pretty lame. I used to have season tickets to the Warriors and would not have like this if they were sitting next to me.

Still, these are pretty isolated incidents. In no way whatsoever would I classify this as the NBA being the Communist Party's henchman. That's just a blatant and dishonest mischaracterization.

Steve Kerr and Popovich are cowards and hypocrites. They'll attack Republicans, but they won't say anything about a real Chinese dictator who kills people and censors Winnie-the-Pooh.

Leftists are full of hypocrisy.

Steve Kerr and Popovich are cowards and hypocrites. They'll attack Republicans, but they won't say anything about a real Chinese dictator who kills people and censors Winnie-the-Pooh.

Leftists are full of hypocrisy.
theres definitely some hypocrisy going on but its also normal to care more and speak more about issues in your own backyard. I mean I dont see NBA people talking about issues pretty much anywhere in the world outside of the USA because thats their home. Its one of the many things that makes this country great, people can speak out about things. I would say its also hypocritical of people (damn near everyone) that partake in some form of business with China but only call out the NBA. Hows those iphone sales going these days?

Be assured, Sir Kerr will be giving his opinion regularly on anything that won't harm his bank account.

So NYTimes just did an article saying that the Chinese are feeling backlash from their citizens on how they reacted to the NBA over this and they are afraid that its actually drawing more worldwide scrutiny to the issues in Hong Kong and whether other countries sports leagues might push back on China with 2022 Beijing winter games right around the corner. Apparently China, who was all over the NBA's ass for not giving a full blown apology they found acceptable and threatening cutting ties with the NBA, now is backtracking a bit.

I cant read the article entirely but saw some snippets of it on another site so my apologies if Im leaving any key details out.

Okay so that's lame they got kicked out. They should be able to wear their shirts but yelling political stuff and blocking someone's view with a sign it pretty lame. I used to have season tickets to the Warriors and would not have like this if they were sitting next to me.

Still, these are pretty isolated incidents. In no way whatsoever would I classify this as the NBA being the Communist Party's henchman. That's just a blatant and dishonest mischaracterization.

Fuck you. They literally are stopping journalist questions at the demand of the chinese government.

Fuck you. They literally are stopping journalist questions at the demand of the chinese government.
im guessing you are pulling that out of thin air. The NBA does not want to lose the billions of dollars in revenue they have set up with China. They arent bending over because they are demanded to otherwise they would have done so when china wanted a full apology. They want this to disappear because it is in their own best interests. Keep in mind even retired players have money coming in from china. The basketball market is huge their. the NBA Just signed a 1.5 billion dollar tv deal in china last year. NBA is watching out for the NBA on this. As for the fans who were protesting, the reports were they were warned 3 times to quiet down. NBA arenas can actually get pretty quiet and people yelling stuff can get annoying as fuck and they wouldnt be the first people to be kicked out of a game for being disruptive.

im guessing you are pulling that out of thin air. The NBA does not want to lose the billions of dollars in revenue they have set up with China. They arent bending over because they are demanded to otherwise they would have done so when china wanted a full apology. They want this to disappear because it is in their own best interests. Keep in mind even retired players have money coming in from china. The basketball market is huge their. the NBA Just signed a 1.5 billion dollar tv deal in china last year. NBA is watching out for the NBA on this. As for the fans who were protesting, the reports were they were warned 3 times to quiet down. NBA arenas can actually get pretty quiet and people yelling stuff can get annoying as fuck and they wouldnt be the first people to be kicked out of a game for being disruptive.

Wrong, again. I got it from this thread, 7 posts ago. You are determined to make excuses for the chinese government telling the NBA what speech is allowed in America. Lick that Chinese butthole you anti american piece of shit.

Wrong, again. I got it from this thread, 7 posts ago. You are determined to make excuses for the chinese government telling the NBA what speech is allowed in America. Lick that Chinese butthole you anti american piece of shit.
i didnt say you pulled the fact they shut a question down out of thin air. I clearly meant you pulled the fact they shut a question down from a reporter due to the chinese government demanding it. There is nothing that supports that theory. The NBA is looking out for the nba on this like I said. Id imagine they are quite pissed at the rockets GM for making the tweet in the first place getting all this going but they cant exactly come out and condemn him for it because then the US will jump down their throats which in many ways they already are. Oh yeah, and you are a butthole licking piece of poop so there

i didnt say you pulled the fact they shut a question down out of thin air. I clearly meant you pulled the fact they shut a question down from a reporter due to the chinese government demanding it. There is nothing that supports that theory. The NBA is looking out for the nba on this like I said. Id imagine they are quite pissed at the rockets GM for making the tweet in the first place getting all this going but they cant exactly come out and condemn him for it because then the US will jump down their throats which in many ways they already are. Oh yeah, and you are a butthole licking piece of poop so there

"Approximately 3 1/2 hours before tipoff, an NBA spokesman informed reporters there would be no media availability of any kind for either team and that commissioner Adam Silver’s previously scheduled pregame news conference was canceled.

The stipulation, sources said, was at the behest of the Chinese government, which also had a hand in canceling two NBA Cares events, an NBA 2K League logo unveiling and a fan appreciation event in the days leading up to the game, causing many to question if the Lakers and Nets would make the lengthy trek and never even get a chance to face one another."
- Dave McMenamin

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27812008/nba-game-china-played-some-restrictions

Back