International NBA cowtowing to China

How much is the NBA beholden to China?

• Total voters
For me it's more about Silver groveling at the feet of China apologizing for what Morey said that is the issue.

I didn't think he grovelled that much:

Silver said Tuesday during a speech in Tokyo that he was "apologetic" regarding China’s reaction to Morey's tweet, but he added: "We are not apologizing for Daryl exercising his freedom of expression. Daryl Morey, as general manager of the Houston Rockets, enjoys that right as one of our employees. What I also tried to suggest is that I understand there are consequences from his freedom of speech, and we will have to live with those consequences."

I didn't think he grovelled that much:
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/464748-nba-sparks-anger-with-china-apology

The NBA moved to contain the fallout, faced with the prospect of a serious setback to its work in China's lucrative market. Morey deleted the tweet and expressed his regrets. The NBA also issued a statement Sunday apologizing for the tweet, and both Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta and All-Star power forward James Harden distanced themselves from Morey.

Commissioner Adam Silver's handling of the matter threatens to damage the reputation of the NBA, which has been seen as one of the more progressive sports leagues in the U.S.

This is a huge story going on with business and big money between the NBA and China. Its more than just what some guy said.
Yeah. China wants it's rules applied across the world, while refusing to play by the world's rules at home. China sucks

This sort of thing is a real problem for the west. Our corporate economic system puts profit over all, and that doesnt interact well with a huge central economy like China.

WTF has Blizzard done now?

They fired a tournament winner who talked about Hong Kong, and the interviewers who didnt stop him.

More importantly, afterwards they declared that they will always defend the honor of the nation.

They fired a tournament winner who talked about Hong Kong, and the interviewers who didnt stop him.

More importantly, afterwards they declared that they will always defend the honor of the nation.
Jesus fuck. Just when I'm getting into PC gaming I've found a company to try and avoid.

Jesus fuck. Just when I'm getting into PC gaming I've found a company to try and avoid.

The big ones are all kinda evil. Activision/Blizzard is one of the worst. Nothing quite like this has happened before though.

So just to recap for myself:
Trump is told by Chinese President to not speak about Hong Kong before trade talks.
-Trump bends the knee
NBA coach tweets support for Hong Kong, catches hell, deletes tweet. China removes broadcasting for some preseason.
-NBA apologizes and bends the knee
Blizzard Hearthstone tournament winner speaks about support for Hong Kong during postgame victory speech.
-Blizzard fires player, removes winnings, bans him from play next year and just for good measure fires the two interviewers also. -Bends the knee and sucks the cock....deep

So......China runs this shit now huh?

-NBA apologizes and bends the knee

Apparently not Chinese satisfaction, based on lost corporate sponsorship and the government cancelling their charity event. People are still unsure if the Lakers/Nets game is gonna take place, although it seems likely at this point. I think I read teams were re-figuring the cap for next year based on losing that income stream.

The big ones are all kinda evil. Activision/Blizzard is one of the worst. Nothing quite like this has happened before though.
It's insane because Blizzard used to be the standard on how gaming companies should act.

I don't feel like the correct answer was a polling option. They aren't 100% beholen or they would have officially apologized. But it's pretty close to that, they are humping the shit out of the poor fence.

But yeah an embarassment given their recent standard of moral integrity. And of course they sidestep the issue and freedom of speech virtue signal as an alternative to addressing the league's position. If you going to sell out Hong Kong sell out Hong Kong and be honest don't give us that "everyone can express their freedom of speech(in theory not reality, Morey deleted his post) and this is a complicated issue with two sides" It ain't a complicated issue with 2 sides, not at all. China's side is that Hong Kong is nearby and the British who conquered the island said it's there's, Hong Kong's side is they don't want the Chinese to be involved in their governance. Pretty simple and only reason they are feigning ignorance is cause it's convenient af.

If this was a US social issue the Nets owner would be forced to sell the team right about now. Instead he is reciting Chinese propaganda to Americans and allegedly "woke" Americans are all nodding the way Chinamen would.

Talk shit get hit.
Write something stupid on Twitter and then delete it - what a hero :D why write it at all?
Everyone in the world has right to talk, so does everyone has right to react, by stopping deals with the NBA for example. Is normal

china equals billions of dollars to the NBA so of course they want everyone to bite their tongue and let it slide. Honestly, tons of people are being hypocrites if they think the NBA is doing anything almost everyone else isnt also doing when it comes to China.

However China is really just being babies here. The GM who posted the original tweet apologized. The teams owner apologized. The NBA commissioner apologized too except he didnt full on blow China and he knew there was going to be American backlash to coming off weak so he reiterated that he supports freedom of speech. But all that wasnt enough for China so they are threatening to take their ball and go home. The NBA would lose money but basketball is huge in China so the fans over there would probably be upset to see the relationship dissolve as well. My guess is everyone involved with the NBA will stay quiet and hope this blows over and it will.

the nba has it written in the collectively bargaining agreement for decades that all players must stand for the playing of national anthems at games. Its one of the things that kinda made the nba players hypocrites when they attacked the nfl for blackballing Kapernick since nba players play in a league where they have no choice but to stand.

the nba has it written in the collectively bargaining agreement for decades that all players must stand for the playing of national anthems at games. Its one of the things that kinda made the nba players hypocrites when they attacked the nfl for blackballing Kapernick since nba players play in a league where they have no choice but to stand.
Buzz Killington.

Also. Read the article.

I think this whole NBA debacle is a true testamant to how hypocritical liberals and Democrats are, especially athletes. They'll use their platform to virtue signal one thing, and then completely disregard the something else because it's not "cool".

Reminds me of Kaepernick, who whines about White people holding black people down while ignoring the high crime and murder rate of African Americans in their own god damn neighborhoods.

Fuck the NBA. Besides Having LeTrash James be your spokes person for everything, yet he's dumb as rocks speaks volumes. Hope he enjoys his 3-6 Finals record.

It is trendy to be a mindless activist these days. If it were fashionable and profitable to be a Nazi, then the same people buying into the activist nonsense would be jumping on the Nazi bandwagon.

Back