International NBA cowtowing to China

How much is the NBA beholden to China?

• Total voters
"Approximately 3 1/2 hours before tipoff, an NBA spokesman informed reporters there would be no media availability of any kind for either team and that commissioner Adam Silver’s previously scheduled pregame news conference was canceled.

The stipulation, sources said, was at the behest of the Chinese government, which also had a hand in canceling two NBA Cares events, an NBA 2K League logo unveiling and a fan appreciation event in the days leading up to the game, causing many to question if the Lakers and Nets would make the lengthy trek and never even get a chance to face one another."
- Dave McMenamin

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27812008/nba-game-china-played-some-restrictions
Im saying the NBA wants to squash this stuff on their own behalf. Players like james harden were apologizing from day one. Obviously china is pushing for the NBA to go public with support for them but the NBA cant go that far without drawing the ire of the USA so they are reverting to just not answering questions. People are acting like the nba wants to go after china on this but china is pulling all the strings. There is so much money for the nba in china, they dont want to go after them at all and other than one guy giving off one tweet which he deleted and apologized for, nobody from the nba is taking china to task because they do not want to.

Steve Kerr and Popovich are cowards and hypocrites. They'll attack Republicans, but they won't say anything about a real Chinese dictator who kills people and censors Winnie-the-Pooh.

Leftists are full of hypocrisy.

kerr has back pain because he is spineless

Left, right, whatever, remember this.

It is easy to talk tough when speaking against your local political enemies.

A whole other thing to talk tough against a billion people with money, power, and a world of anger.

All the more reason to stand up for what is right, but most have forgotten what it means to stand up for freedom to begin with.

Try not to forget, and if you want to resist something in your life, do resist real-world-tyranny.

No one is a leftist when big money is on the line.

You are 100% right, it is also 100% true that Trump has been silent or supportive of Beij/ing's 70th anniversary bash and heavy handed tactics of the HK police.

Now here this: WHO CARES?

Today is a new day, and I would love to see Kerr, The President, the NBA commish, and whoever grow a pair and refuse to bow to the worst of the worst.

Support Hong Kong, they have to fight for freedom, the least we can do is use our words to support the struggle for that freedom.

This is fucking disturbing.

China is notoriously racist towards blacks, known for an alarming amount of pollution, known for exploiting the workers...i could go on.

The uber left NBA chooses them as their buddy. You can't call owners or franchises owners anymore, but you partner with China? Oh yeah, for money. Its all about money. Most of the fans are too fucking stupid to understand this. They listen Lebron James for political wisdom.
They along with blizzard can eat shit. Way to support a brutal dictatorship you cowards.
Watch how people arenup in arms when Trump says happy anniversary to China he's literally Hitler.
Those same people then support a league that does business and supports that same Country.
I don't really watch, so no dog in this fight... I do find it interesting that you conservatives are more concerned over a corporation's silence on Hong Kong than our own government's.

And I'm sure you are just as angry about Trump's buddy Vince MacMahon being completely in bed with Saudi Arabia, right?

I don't really watch, so no dog in this fight... I do find it interesting that you conservatives are more concerned over a corporation's silence on Hong Kong than our own government's.

And I'm sure you are just as angry about Trump's buddy Vince MacMahon being completely in bed with Saudi Arabia, right?

My post was related to the fact of like I said China's known racism towards blacks, exploiting their workers, and massive environmental polution. The NBA likes to let their employees voice their opinions on many social injustices during company time, and often on air to the media. I don't like that. Thats what my post was referring to.

But...but..but...Drumpf!!!!!!! Jesus, stick to the topic will you?

Vince has been a known piece of shit for a long time, for a number of reasons. It's why I refuse to support anything he touches.

As for the government, that's no surprise either. Most of them would sooner let China do its thing rather than risk tanking the world economy.

Steve Kerr and Popovich are cowards and hypocrites. They'll attack Republicans, but they won't say anything about a real Chinese dictator who kills people and censors Winnie-the-Pooh.

Leftists are full of hypocrisy.

hi brownsmith76,

the Spurs coach made his feelings known, lauding commissioner Silver's statement that “We will protect our employees’ freedom of speech”.

here's Mr. Popovich;

"He came out strongly for freedom of speech (today). I felt great again. He's been a heck of a leader in that respect and very courageous. Then you compare it to what we've had to live through the past three years, it's a big difference. A big gap there, leadership-wise and courage-wise. It wasn't easy for him to say. He said that in an environment fraught with possible economic peril. But he sided with the principles that we all hold dearly, or most of us did until the last three years. I'm thrilled with what he said. The courage and leadership displayed is off the charts by comparison.

"We've all talked about or heard about all the talking heads have and everybody for the last three years, 'What kind of country do you want to be? Who are we? Where do we want to go?' Adam said something that helps you understand what direction you need to go in, rather than the cowardice of not being able to respond to something of the murder of Mr. (Jamal) Khashoggi. There are many, many incidents like that where leadership and courage mean nothing. It's all about personal aggrandizement. I was thrilled."

Popovich ended his comments with this: "Anybody got anything about the game or anything like that?"
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...raises-commissioner-s-courage-in-14502199.php

so, the many of you who have lambasted Coach Popovich for breaking with President Trump regarding the unrest in Hong Kong (our POTUS told Xi that he had nothing to worry about as far as the leader of our country speaking out about the situation), give him a break.

he's just being consistent.

- IGIT

But...but..but...Drumpf!!!!!!! Jesus, stick to the topic will you?
Well, the topic is how an American entity should respond to China's treatment of Hong Kong, correct?

It the US government not an American entity?

Is there a reason we should be holding a corporation to a higher standard of practice than the US government?

Left, right, whatever, remember this.

It is easy to talk tough when speaking against your local political enemies.

A whole other thing to talk tough against a billion people with money, power, and a world of anger.

All the more reason to stand up for what is right, but most have forgotten what it means to stand up for freedom to begin with.

Try not to forget, and if you want to resist something in your life, do resist real-world-tyranny.
Too late for that. People would rather fight for their political hero to take some rights away to keep them safe than fight for freedom.

Be assured, Sir Kerr will be giving his opinion regularly on anything that won't harm his bank account.

hiya KeepItRealist,

Mr. Kerr is only doing what our President is doing.

now, at one point, Kerr may voice his thoughts on the unrest in Hong Kong...but Mr. Trump has promised Xi that as long as trade talks get underway (because $$$), Mr. Trump won't comment about what's going on in Hong Kong.

- IGIT

Bu-bu-but Vince Mcmahon....LOL. That's some desperate shit.

Here's the thing the with the NBA. They should just own it. Vince did. He didn't give a fuck. The NBA trying to squirm their way out of admitting they just like money more than anything else, is so utterly pathetic. Now they're fucking acting like China, and trying to silence the media. It also comes down to plain hypocrisy. Remember "Shut up and dribble"? The NBA didn't like that. They stand behind, and encourage their players to speak out on what they believe in, dammit! Just...not this time.

Well, the topic is how an American entity should respond to China's treatment of Hong Kong, correct?

It the US government not an American entity?

Is there a reason we should be holding a corporation to a higher standard of practice than the US government?

hi luckyshot,

i can think of a reason.

the POTUS doesn't pretend to care about human rights issues. for him, its about money. that's why President Trump bowed before Xi on the Hong Kong issue and assured him that the leader of free world would have "no comment" on the topic.

but the NBA has made these issues part of their image, unlike Mr. Trump. so i guess you could say that the NBA and its more outspoken progressive players and coaches ought to have something to say.

just because our President has no fucks to give about human rights abuses in Hong Kong doesn't give people who play sports a free pass to do so.

right?

- IGIT

Last edited:
hiya KeepItRealist,

Mr. Kerr is only doing what our President is doing.

now, at one point, Kerr may voice his thoughts on the unrest in Hong Kong...but Mr. Trump has promised Xi that as long as trade talks get underway (because $$$), Mr. Trump won't comment about what's going on in Hong Kong.

- IGIT

Another "but Trump". LOL.

Is this all you guys have? Change the fucking record already. You're embarrassing yourselves.

theres definitely some hypocrisy going on but its also normal to care more and speak more about issues in your own backyard. I mean I dont see NBA people talking about issues pretty much anywhere in the world outside of the USA because thats their home. Its one of the many things that makes this country great, people can speak out about things. I would say its also hypocritical of people (damn near everyone) that partake in some form of business with China but only call out the NBA. Hows those iphone sales going these days?
this is true, but i think it creates a misrepresentation in terms of perspective on what and who is truly evil, at least for the uninformed. Not just this specific case, but in the broader scope. This is a cultural norm, to turn scrutiny hard on ourselves, but not on ‘the others’. It leads the majority into thinking Trump is fascist without regard to real fascist leaders currently out there. It leads to hating and ridiculing rightwing American Christians in the South while sticking up for further rightwing Muslims.
It is good to turn the microscope on yourself, and it is the mistake of many to never do so, however, as a culture, we have gone way too far this way. Its left a lot of people hating and afraid our culture, which is wrong because, although it has tons of problems, its pretty good overall (largely due to its ability to criticize itself)
If you CAN openly criticize your leader, or the people in charge around you, then things probably arent THAT bad. But we often dont know what bad really is, because we dont scrutinize the other guys enough.

All shit that would be illegal for our government to coerce. Yet we’re supposed to tolerate it from fucking China?

hi Gunny and good morning,

but our government isn't coercing this activity - its China's government that has dictated what is and is not to be said regarding Hong Kong.

both President Trump and the NBA are just towing the line. the POTUS, players and coaches may still speak out about domestic issues here in the United States - they've just been forbidden to discuss Hong Kong.

their first amendment rights are alive and well - its just that they've been told not to think they apply to Chinese issues of governance.

you can't blame them, anymore than you can blame Mr. Trump. they are both chasing financial deals, you know?

that's America.

- IGIT

Another "but Trump". LOL.

Is this all you guys have? Change the fucking record already. You're embarrassing yourselves.

hi HereticBD,

i think that's been my position all along, HereticBD. you can't blame Mr. Kerr or the NBA in general for just doing what the POTUS has been doing...and if you think about it, i haven't heard a thing from the many, many multinational US corporations who ply their trade in China.

have we heard anything from the brass at GM, who have made serious bank in China? how about the UAW? nothing, nothing at all.

all of these entities, like our President, realize that there's monetary transactions to be had with the Chinese - and no one wants to put that money at risk.

they've been told to keep their pieholes shut regarding Hong Kong and they are doing as they've been told.

- IGIT

Be assured, Sir Kerr will be giving his opinion regularly on anything that won't harm his bank account.

He actually compared a country with a direct and continuing lineage to the Maoist atrocities and the largest continuing human rights violator to the freest country in the world by talking about AR-15s. This is the mental disease that afflicts the left.

And people say that he doesn’t hate America, he only has a problem with Trump.

Today is a new day, and I would love to see Kerr, The President, the NBA commish, and whoever grow a pair and refuse to bow to the worst of the worst.

hello InternetHero,

i don't know about the NBA, or Mr. Kerr, but its not fair to include President Trump in your list.

Mr. Trump promised Xi directly that he would not say anything regarding Hong Kong that would cause Xi grief. you have to understand that US soybean farmers are getting more and more anxious about their business deals with the Chinese.

when you think "PATRIOTIC AMERICAN", the noble US farmer is one of the first images to come to mind. have they had anything to say about Hong Kong? i mean, think about it, lol. has the American Farm Bureau Federation said a single thing about Hong Kong?

no, they haven't.

*muses*

the NBA has alotta nerve, actually. who do they think they are to defy the Chinese when the rest of our country just wants to get a trade deal struck with China?

- IGIT

Back