News NAC withholds Igor Severino’s purse after biting incident

How famous of a player was he? I don't follow soccer.
Very famous. Luis Suarez is the all-time leading goalscorer for Uruguay in international soccer and has played for them at 4 World Cups (2010, 2014, 2018, 2022). He's played for some big clubs in his career including Liverpool and Barcelona.

He's 37 now which is ancient in soccer but he's still playing professionally in MLS as far as I know. Some of the best players like to finish their careers in MLS when they get old since it's a step down in competition from the big European leagues.

Suarez bit opponents on 3 separate occasions.

Bad decision on Severino's part for sure. That said, the ref really should've called the multiple fence grabs that absolutely impacted the course of the fight. It may have prevented this whole thing from happening, and even if it didn't, it's pointless to have a rule like that and not even pretend to enforce it.

Bad decision on Severino's part for sure. That said, the ref really should've called the multiple fence grabs that absolutely impacted the course of the fight. It may have prevented this whole thing from happening, and even if it didn't, it's pointless to have a rule like that and not even pretend to enforce it.
We see it every week too.
Enforcing rules, or hard warnings at the very least should be mandatory.

Didn’t they just buy Bellator?
Bellator is only putting 8 shows a year now, none of them in Brazil so far and the lowest weight class they've gone to since coming back is BW (they also very rarely did Flyweight fights in the Coker days but it wasn't a proper division).

There's no telling if Igor is going to lose his license to fight in the States, which if it does happen his best bet might be going to ACA. I'd say ONE, but they always give this whole spiel of caring about proper sportsmanship and the spirit of martial arts, so I don't see them touching Igor for a good while.

Tognoni is just a dogshit ref, he's the reason Lacerda vs Chairez had to happen again. He also let Ed Herman get away with faking a groin shot to avoid getting finished years back.

Bellator is only putting 8 shows a year now, none of them in Brazil so far and the lowest weight class they've gone to since coming back is BW (they also very rarely did Flyweight fights in the Coker days but it wasn't a proper division).

There's no telling if Igor is going to lose his license to fight in the States, which if it does happen his best bet might be going to ACA. I'd say ONE, but they always give this whole spiel of caring about proper sportsmanship and the spirit of martial arts, so I don't see them touching Igor for a good while.

He’s not gonna lose his license permanently, hell, I can’t think of any fighter off the top of my head who’s lost their license over something like this. Worst case scenario he gets suspended for a year from fighting in the states and has to reapply to get his licence approved

He’s not gonna lose his license permanently, hell, I can’t think of any fighter off the top of my head who’s lost their license over something like this. Worst case scenario he gets suspended for a year from fighting in the states and has to reapply to get his licence approved
It's never happened before in the UFC though. Biting? Sure, a few guys have been bitten before, but a DQ due to it where it got highlighted? First time, and they made an example out of him by immediately releasing him.

I don't think he'd be permanently suspended, but it might be similar to Yvel's case where he had to show good sportsmanship for years before he got granted his license to fight Stateside.

Literally the only thing Igor's got going for him right now is the fact he's only going to be turning 21 this year - he's young, but the moment's gone so viral that he'll be known as the bite guy for quite a while.

Imagine fighting under a ruleset that allows like 95% of all unarmed techniques possible to be used legally, but for some reason still feeling the need to resort to using the other 5% so you lose your big opportunity and your money. Guy is a schizo.

Guy is a schizo.
Definitely something ain't wired right in his head.
The look on his face when he denied the bite is what stuck with me, just this emotionless, blank head-shake.
It wasn't "it was an accident" or "shit, I'm sorry", it was "no, it didn't happen".

Dude, the guy has your teeth marks in his arm and we saw the video.

Back