my new workout

B

Butcher101**

hey guys this is my new workout, look like my old one but i put more compound excecises in it

Day 1:
Shoulder presses
incline dumbell press
shoulder shrugs
Seated incline dumbell curls
standing alternating curls
Dips
lying trisept extention

Day 2:
squats
seated leg presses
standing calf raises
lying leg curls
leg extention

Day 3:
Flat bench press
incline bench dumbell press
chin ups
one arm rows
deadlifts

day 4: same as day1
day 5: same as day2
day 6; same as day 3
day 7: rest

i do 3 sets of 5 rep.
what do u think

I can't figure out what you are trying to do. This screams body building still, but then you say 3 sets of 5 repetitions... This is one confused program. Deadlifts and bench press on the same day? Calf raises? Leg presses? Again what are you trying to accomplish here?

im trying to building strengh and explosiveness for my bjj.

Day 1:
Shoulder presses you mean overhead presses right? I'm not trying to be an ass about this one I just want to make sure we're on the same page. Barbell or dumbell?
incline dumbell press
shoulder shrugs
-I don't really like these, and if you deadlifted heavy you wouldn't need them I say cut them
-pick one curl per week.
Dips
lying trisept extention
once again it's a matter of cutting things you don't need. you won't overtrain by doing these keeping shrugs, lying tricep extentions or two curls, but they're unneccessary and they don't contribute a lot. I say cut them out, stick to the basics

Day 2:
squats
seated leg presses
-consider front squats
standing calf raises
-these have so little carry over to athletic applications it's obscene that they even get tossed into strength based routines. Drag a sled, push a car, grab a sandbag and sprint up a hill. I guarantee you will get better results for your sport and doing pussy calf raises.
lying leg curls
-shit isolation exercise, consider romanian deadlifts, Stiff legged deadlifts, good mornings, etc.
leg extention
-just get rid of this altogether.

Day 3:
Flat bench press
chin ups
one arm rows
deadlifts
to be honest, this day isn't so bad, but I don't like that you just tacked on deadlifts at the end, like you don't really think they're important. Also you need more posterior chain work to assist your deads. consider doing one of the following RDL, good mornings, or SLDL, pull throughs, etc. after deads. furthermore as a grappler deadlifts may be the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT LIFT that you perform. I'll say that again, as a grappler dealifts may be the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT LIFT you perform.

In the grand scheme of things you may or may not need another incline press, and if you do keep it, consider changing it to barbell instead of dumbell on this day. Shit who am I kidding, you're so wrapped up in the more is better mindset you'll keep the incline press here no matter what I say. so here, if you insist on another press consider clos grip bench for this day.

day 6; same as day 3
I want you to listen and listen good. MORE IS NOT BETTER. CUT DOWN TO THREE DAYS A WEEK AND DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DEADLIFT THE DAY AFTER YOU SQUAT! THAT'S JUST PLAIN FUCKING WAITING FOR THE LEVIES TO BREAK IDIOCY! in fact your days should be day 2 or 3, then day 1 then day 2 or 3 that you didn't do the first time around. THREE days a week for you... Let me say that again, THREE DAYS A WEEK!!!! you're going to overtrain, burnout and/or get injured going at this rate. I PROMISE you these things will happen.

i do 3 sets of 5 rep. what do u think I think that my web page needs some updating. Your main lifts should be heavy, assistance lifts can be higher reps (8-10). For example, I do heavy military press then after I'm done with my sets on military press, I may go over to incline bench for 3 or 4 sets of 8. it is not neccessary to train heavy on everything. and some exercises (for some people) don't respond well to low reps. people often find pullups respond better to the 8-12 range, and calf raises (though be sure to mind my note earlier) to the 20 rep range. and abdominal training (interesting to note that you have NONE in here) to a variety of rep ranges and schemes.

Try out the routine see how long you last.

Then I think we could help you out fully.

Right now, you aren't convinced with our help.

urban u make me cry.
boohoo

thx for the hardass advice. lol

Ted-P said:
Try out the routine see how long you last.

Then I think we could help you out fully.

Right now, you aren't convinced with our help.
im quite happy with the results i ve got so far. but ppl are scaring the fuck out of me lol.
my benching has gone up 20 pounds and squats have gone up 30 pounds in three weeks.
what i think is happening here is that im not getting tired cause im not lifting as heavy as you guys?
right now i only bench 130 pounds where as alot of ppl here bench at least their own weight.

Urban said:
Day 1:
Shoulder presses you mean overhead presses right? I'm not trying to be an ass about this one I just want to make sure we're on the same page. Barbell or dumbell?
incline dumbell press
shoulder shrugs
-I don't really like these, and if you deadlifted heavy you wouldn't need them I say cut them
-pick one curl per week.
Dips
lying trisept extention
once again it's a matter of cutting things you don't need. you won't overtrain by doing these keeping shrugs, lying tricep extentions or two curls, but they're unneccessary and they don't contribute a lot. I say cut them out, stick to the basics

Day 2:
squats
seated leg presses
-consider front squats
standing calf raises
-these have so little carry over to athletic applications it's obscene that they even get tossed into strength based routines. Drag a sled, push a car, grab a sandbag and sprint up a hill. I guarantee you will get better results for your sport and doing pussy calf raises.
lying leg curls
-shit isolation exercise, consider romanian deadlifts, Stiff legged deadlifts, good mornings, etc.
leg extention
-just get rid of this altogether.

Day 3:
Flat bench press
chin ups
one arm rows
deadlifts
to be honest, this day isn't so bad, but I don't like that you just tacked on deadlifts at the end, like you don't really think they're important. Also you need more posterior chain work to assist your deads. consider doing one of the following RDL, good mornings, or SLDL, pull throughs, etc. after deads. furthermore as a grappler deadlifts may be the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT LIFT that you perform. I'll say that again, as a grappler dealifts may be the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT LIFT you perform.

In the grand scheme of things you may or may not need another incline press, and if you do keep it, consider changing it to barbell instead of dumbell on this day. Shit who am I kidding, you're so wrapped up in the more is better mindset you'll keep the incline press here no matter what I say. so here, if you insist on another press consider clos grip bench for this day.

day 6; same as day 3
I want you to listen and listen good. MORE IS NOT BETTER. CUT DOWN TO THREE DAYS A WEEK AND DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DEADLIFT THE DAY AFTER YOU SQUAT! THAT'S JUST PLAIN FUCKING WAITING FOR THE LEVIES TO BREAK IDIOCY! in fact your days should be day 2 or 3, then day 1 then day 2 or 3 that you didn't do the first time around. THREE days a week for you... Let me say that again, THREE DAYS A WEEK!!!! you're going to overtrain, burnout and/or get injured going at this rate. I PROMISE you these things will happen.

i do 3 sets of 5 rep. what do u think I think that my web page needs some updating. Your main lifts should be heavy, assistance lifts can be higher reps (8-10). For example, I do heavy military press then after I'm done with my sets on military press, I may go over to incline bench for 3 or 4 sets of 8. it is not neccessary to train heavy on everything. and some exercises (for some people) don't respond well to low reps. people often find pullups respond better to the 8-12 range, and calf raises (though be sure to mind my note earlier) to the 20 rep range. and abdominal training (interesting to note that you have NONE in here) to a variety of rep ranges and schemes.

I like I said Urban let him try out that routine.

It won't last long.

I suggest you read it twice. Cause 1) it didn't seem to sink in the first time around, and 2, I edited in some notes on rep schemes and calf training. also, what lift are you focusing on more, flat bench or overhead press? or dips even. any grapplers here have any input on the press with the most carryover to their sport? I personaly have taken flat bench out of my routine for a while and chosen to focus instead on overheads, but I'm not sure how this would play out for a grappler.

Butcher101 said:
im quite happy with the results i ve got so far. but ppl are scaring the fuck out of me lol.
my benching has gone up 20 pounds and squats have gone up 30 pounds in three weeks.
what i think is happening here is that im not getting tired cause im not lifting as heavy as you guys?
right now i only bench 130 pounds where as alot of ppl here bench at least their own weight.
It's because you havent been lifting that long.

It's beginners gains.

And yes lifting heavy all the time can wear down your CNS so you gotta switch off your rep scheme at times and let yourself rest.

Butcher101 said:
as a newb your central nervous system is adapting quickly to the new stimuli. No matter how shitty your routine is you will benefit for the first 6 months. I say, use a good routine, get into good habbits, build a solid foundation now, and you won't have to stress about it later.

Butcher101 said:

Yeah, you can't really judge your routine on weight increase at this point. When you hit a wall, you'll know why this routine is just killing you. Going from 110 to 130 on bench in three weeks is not magic. Now if you were talking say 430 to 450 in three weeks, then that might mean something.

aright thx guys.
so this is what im gonna do then.
work out on monday =day1
day off
wendsday=day2
day off
firday=day3

then take the weekend off
is that good?
i ll cut on the isolation work outs a bit more thx.

Yea that's better.

And eat good food.

Ted-P said:
Yea that's better.

And eat good food.
ok
should i like the entire day off or can i do cardio like running or swimming. cuz im trying to lose some fat 2.

Cardio on off days is fine absolutely ok. That is, in fact the ideal place for it.

Urban and ted
can you show me your own workouts please i wanna compare it to my own and see if im doing things right.
i just wanna see how you combine your main and secondary lifts toghether. And see the number of your reps and sets thx.

napoleon1.jpg
Urban feeling the pressure of locker room angst:

Butcher101 said:
Urban and ted
can you show me your own workouts please i wanna compare it to my own and see if im doing things right.
i just wanna see how you combine your main and secondary lifts toghether. And see the number of your reps and sets thx.
My workout doesn't compare to Urban or is it anywhere near sophisticated as his.

I have been using the shotgun approach where I try to improvise.

Basic chart

Main lift
1 or 2 assistant exercises

CarnalSalvation said:
napoleon1.jpg
Urban feeling the pressure of locker room angst:
another sac-tap victim... We've started a support group for those still recoving from their last tap.

Back