my new workout

Butcher your biggest flaw in that workout you posted is that you have too many exercises.

Try out more of a basic and simple routine and evolve it into something more complicated.

no concentration curls? don't you want the peaks

mine goes like this:
Monday heavy day -
Heavy overhead pressing movement up to a 1 rep max, 10 or so reps in as few sets as possible @ 90%
heavy squat or deadlift up to a 1 rep max, 10 or so reps in as few sets as possible @ 90%
Pressing assistance movement - 3-5 x 8-10
Squat or dead assistance movement - 3-5 x 8-10
some rows or pullups or whatever I feel needs to be done. Depends on what I'll be doing on wednesday.

Wednesday - strongman even training. Pick two events, perform max reps in 20 minutes, if a goal is accheived increase the weight next time.

Friday Dynamic effort or complex training day (alternates every two weeks)
DE day looks similar to monday though I'll choose different lifts to perform explosively with around 60%. I'll also toss in an oly lift here from time to time.
Complex training day involves supersetting low rep heavy movements (3-5 reps) with plyometric movements (5 reps).

and I fill in the gaps with GPP and conditioning and such. It's far to complicated a routine for a beginner I think (for a number of reasons) but you asked so I told you. I'm not a combat athlete, I'm training to be a firefighter, so I've arranged my training to reflect those needs the best I can. Peak strength, explosive strength and conditioning are whats most important to me right now, and the strongman events often mimic the kind of activities I'll have to deal with on the job. The weight training is loosely structured (reflected in the vague exercise selection) and I go mostly by what I feel I should work on and what I haven't done in a while.

I'm just starting out like you, this is my routine (I can only get to the gym twice a week, BJJ/MMA takes the rest of my time);

Day 1;

- Bench Press
- Two or three of the following: Incline Press, Military Press, Push Press, Overhead DB Press, Tate Press, Dips
- 3x10 Saxon Side Bends, sometimes normal Side Bends as well/instead of
- Pinch Grip (I have a problem with this, I may post a question about it soon)

Day 2;

- Squat or Deadlift (I DL every third week)
- One or two of the following: Upright Row, Bent-over Row, Seated Row, Pull Ups.
- One of the following: RDL, Good Mornings, SLDL
- 3x10 Decline Sit Ups
- Support Grip

At the moment I'm mixing up the reps, I've got past the build up stage of higher reps, and doing around 3-8 sets of 3-8.

Lately I've been able to do 3 or 4 days a week so I've changed it around a bit.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone.

Ok here's another thing, and oh damn this might start some crazy inferno... But bench and grappling... Kind of not mutually inclusive. I've actually droppped it completely and any of its variants. Just isn't really applicable as say a push press. Just a thought.

Sean S said:
Ok here's another thing, and oh damn this might start some crazy inferno... But bench and grappling... Kind of not mutually inclusive. I've actually droppped it completely and any of its variants. Just isn't really applicable as say a push press. Just a thought.
Grapplers need to treat their pulling exercises better.

Back