GSP, Demetrious Johnson and Islam Makhachev are the top 3 most technical MMA fighters in history

Whats up with you and GSP's striking? He wasn't that good of a striker, He had a jab and some kicks, no boxing flow no nothing apart from that. Dude would never commit to a combo in fear of getting hit back & only threw aganist who he considered inferior on the feet. Even then he was tentative. See last Kos fight.

He became very conservative during his reign, but he actually had decent hand power, speed, and versatility. Very sound boxing fundamentals, a great jab, a very handy superman punch, strong clinch striking, fast kicks with lots of power. Sound defense too, hands up always. Earlier in his career when he took more risks you could see his arsenal much more in display. He trained under Roach and did a pretty extensive training in Thailand for MT. He had much better footwork, and was quite good and moving in and out.

And when he came back he knocked Bisping down with a very strong left hook and showed a much larger arsenal of strikes.

If you think Islam has better striking than GSP you have no idea about striking.

Last edited:
Islam has more ko power than gsp imo

There's no basis for that claim. GSP had a lot of power in his kicks, and knocked down Bisping with a hook, and obliterated a bunch of people at WW earlier in his career. Islam's striking has only looked good against a much, much smaller Volk, and went toe to toe in the first fight. He is not nearly at GSPs level skillwise, and other than the kick KO he hasn't shown punching power. GSP had a lot more speed.

There's no basis for that claim. GSP had a lot of power in his kicks, and knocked down Bisping with a hook, and obliterated a bunch of people at WW earlier in his career. Islam's striking has only looked good against a much, much smaller Volk, and went toe to toe in the first fight. He is not nearly at GSPs level skillwise, and other than the kick KO he hasn't shown punching power. GSP had a lot more speed.
In either case Islam is finishing his opponents...gsp was a decision machine

If Arona's BJJ is that good... where are his finishes?

If Paulo Filho's BJJ was so good... where are his finishes?
Did they have as many takedowns as GSP did?

It's the combination that is the question.

GSP landed takedowns on everyone and even had control most of the time. But rarely can pull off a finish.

If either Arona or Figo could land even 75% of GSPs takedowns, u better believe they will get more finishes on the ground.

Conclusion ...
GSPs BJJ was good but nothing crazy or elite.

I bet u thought ur post was smart.

Did they have as many takedowns as GSP did?

It's the combination that is the question.

GSP landed takedowns on everyone and even had control most of the time. But rarely can pull off a finish.

If either Arona or Figo could land even 75% of GSPs takedowns, u better believe they will get more finishes on the ground.

Conclusion ...
GSPs BJJ was good but nothing crazy or elite.

I bet u thought ur post was smart.

Filho and Arona were some of the most effective offensive takedown grapplers in the sport. They took down most people and kept them there. See Arona vs Fedor, Ninja, Hendo, Silva...

And GSP didnt take down Kos in the second fight, Kept Shields on his feet, stood up with Hieron, blasted Trigg, mostly struck with Fitch, and Bisping.

GSP has excellent jitz. Better than his striking.

You don't know what you're talking about.

No one else brought a high level in striking, wrestling and jiu-jitsu combined like them

Volkanovski is close but doesn't have a bjj in that level
BJ doesn't have a wrestling in such high level

I can't to think of someone as well rounded as these three
DJ is the only that actually incorporated an entire MMA arsenal in most of his fights. The other two were very wrestling heavy, especially at the peak of GSP's career

I agree, these 3 are the most well rounded ever. All other "GOATs" have some holes in their skillset - Jones' boxing, Silva's wrestling, Khabib's striking, Aldo's offensive grappling, etc.
Aldo has a hole in his offensive grappling? he passes guards like butter. you’re bugging. also, Jon’s boxing isn’t awful. He’s only had a few close fights. His boxing is solid he dropped machida with his hands. He also landed great punches in the clinch against glover.

Filho and Arona were some of the most effective offensive takedown grapplers in the sport. They took down most people and kept them there. See Arona vs Fedor, Ninja, Hendo, Silva...

And GSP didnt take down Kos in the second fight, Kept Shields on his feet, stood up with Hieron, blasted Trigg, mostly struck with Fitch, and Bisping.

GSP has excellent jitz. Better than his striking.

You don't know what you're talking about.
GSP tried taking Kos down in round one but got shoved, then jabbed for 4.5 more rounds.

Also to answer this: If you think Islam has better striking than GSP you have no idea about striking.

WTF is everyones problem when someone doesn't share an idea, that someone has no idea. I've trained in striking for over 12 years, I am no pro but understand fundamentals. GSP was awkward with his striking but it worked for him because he was fast and strong and had that takedown threat, but he didn't have better form than Islam or MM, at all.

Also Bisping looked stuck in the mud when he fought GSP, never seen him move so little in a fight. Hard for me to use it as any type of mesuring stick.

GSP tried taking Kos down in round one but got shoved, then jabbed for 4.5 more rounds.

Also to answer this: If you think Islam has better striking than GSP you have no idea about striking.

WTF is everyones problem when someone doesn't share an idea, that someone has no idea. I've trained in striking for over 12 years, I am no pro but understand fundamentals. GSP was awkward with his striking but it worked for him because he was fast and strong and had that takedown threat, but he didn't have better form than Islam or MM, at all.

Also Bisping looked stuck in the mud when he fought GSP, never seen him move so little in a fight. Hard for me to use it as any type of mesuring stick.

GSP did that in the second Kos fight, though in the first he handily outwrestled him. Late GSP was happy to win with minimum risk. Why risk anything if you can jab your way to victory? When he came back against Bispig he was much more aggressive. I also don't agree about Bisping looking that bad; he adapted very well after the first round.

I have been more precise in former replies about why I think GSP had very good striking. I don't think it's exceptional either. But it is far better than Islam's, and I think anyone who doesn't see this has a very limited understanding of the craft.

GSP did that in the second Kos fight, though in the first he handily outwrestled him. Late GSP was happy to win with minimum risk. Why risk anything if you can jab your way to victory? When he came back against Bispig he was much more aggressive. I also don't agree about Bisping looking that bad; he adapted very well after the first round.

I have been more precise in former replies about why I think GSP had very good striking. I don't think it's exceptional either. But it is far better than Islam's, and I think anyone who doesn't see this has a very limited understanding of the craft.
So if Islam and GSP both put on 14 or 16oz gloves and had a few rounds, ¿who do you think would be landing more? Box or kick box, I don't care.

So if Islam and GSP both put on 14 or 16oz gloves and had a few rounds, ¿who do you think would be landing more? Box or kick box, I don't care.

I think GSP would soundly beat him and outland him in either boxing or kickboxing or MT rules. I honestly don't understand how anyone can think otherwise unless they don't understand striking well enough. GSP is faster, has more dynamic arsenal of offensive options, has better vertical movement, better head movement, better clinch striking, a sounder jab... it's actually not even close. Islam is pretty solid in keeping his hands up, throwing basic combinations, but is very stiff and has very limited movement. Just GSPs jab is categorially superior, and nothing is more important than the jab. Islam is effective, but not a particularly good striker. GSP is not exceptional, but very good.

I think GSP would soundly beat him and outland him in either boxing or kickboxing or MT rules. I honestly don't understand how anyone can think otherwise unless they don't understand striking well enough. GSP is faster, has more dynamic arsenal of offensive options, has better vertical movement, better head movement, better clinch striking, a sounder jab... it's actually not even close. Islam is pretty solid in keeping his hands up, throwing basic combinations, but is very stiff and has very limited movement. Just GSPs jab is categorially superior, and nothing is more important than the jab. Islam is effective, but not a particularly good striker. GSP is not exceptional, but very good.
That jab he does, with no threat of a takedown would get blast countered after a few attemps in a pure striking match. C'mon now.

That jab he does, with no threat of a takedown would get blast countered after a few attemps in a pure striking match. C'mon now.

Blast countered with what exactly? GSP is a lot faster. Islam has shown no real talent for counter punching. He's a pretty sloggish and slow striker actually. Good fundamentals, but he's very much still developing.

Blast countered with what exactly? GSP is a lot faster. Islam has shown no real talent for counter punching. He's a pretty sloggish and slow striker actually. Good fundamentals, but he's very much still developing.
He indeed is still developing, and by whatever he chose to counter with. Not saying he would KO GSP, especially with big gloves on, but he would time it after a few attemps for sure & GSP would have to stop using it.

They're all highly technical fighters but they also have a lot of athletic advantages that probably make them look more technical than they are (GSP and Makhachev in particular).

I'm not sure if it's true that they are more technical than someone like Damian Maia or Lyoto Machida.

Well roundedness and being technical aren't quite the same thing.

Were pretending GSP is an expert submission artist now?

Mighty Mouse I can agree with. Islam is up there I suppose but I'd need to put more thought into it. But if you're discounting Jones I don't see why you're adding GSP.
People need to rewarch GSP vs Hardy aka 24 mins to not secure an armbar

No one else brought a high level in striking, wrestling and jiu-jitsu combined like them

Volkanovski is close but doesn't have a bjj in that level
BJ doesn't have a wrestling in such high level

I can't to think of someone as well rounded as these three
I wanted to hate but I can't argue with this islams striking has looked really great lately out striking strikers. He started out rough but at least he's gotten better.

I tried thinking of others kamaru was very technical but he doesn't have clinch work.

I can't think of any up there maybe ddp he's Ben able to move the fight to different aspects of MMA for a 185 guy.

Back