My knees....

TigerDGC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I notice for the past month since I restarted lifting my knees have been acting up....hard to describe the feeling but a week ago after squating my right knee got "swollen", i didn't lift yesterday and today was to be my squat day but my left knee is swollen. i'm kinda broke right now so seeing a doc right now is out of the option but i plan to later in the future....

anyone have any idea whats wrong with my knees?

When you squat do your knees go past the end of your toes? The best thing to do is to see a doctor or a trainer or some professional. At the very least you should probably stop lifting for a while.

TigerDGC said:
I notice for the past month since I restarted lifting my knees have been acting up....hard to describe the feeling but a week ago after squating my right knee got "swollen", i didn't lift yesterday and today was to be my squat day but my left knee is swollen. i'm kinda broke right now so seeing a doc right now is out of the option but i plan to later in the future....

anyone have any idea whats wrong with my knees?

Knees are so often the weak link. I know plenty of guys who have had to quit squatting because their knees couldn't handle it.

I've also noticed that about 50 percent of injuries that cause guys to quit fighting are knee related. Whenever I kick up the pace with my workouts...it is usually my knee that causes me to back off.

It really sucks man...

http://familydoctor.org/542.xml

I really love this website even if it is medical advice from the internet. Check it out and see if you can match your symptom to the ones listed here. It gives some decent advice but as always you should see a doctor if you feel you need/want to. Websites will/should never replace the sound advice of a good doctor.

Thanks guys, i'm going to just borrow some money from some people to see a doc.

I'd be willing to bet that like Boondocksaint said, your knee position on the squat is screwed. Make sure your shins are straight up the entire way. Your knees should not move forward. Try box squating. This is a really good way to learn better form when it comes to your knees.

Rodor said:
http://familydoctor.org/542.xml

I really love this website even if it is medical advice from the internet. Check it out and see if you can match your symptom to the ones listed here. It gives some decent advice but as always you should see a doctor if you feel you need/want to. Websites will/should never replace the sound advice of a good doctor.
this is kind of a fun site.

i sit back on my squats (to my knowledge) but i'll try using the box next time when the swelling goes down.

EDIT: I just made an apointment with the doc for tomorrow morning. I'll post the follow up tomorrow.

Your foot faces where ever the thigh faces usually meaning you have to point out.

Do you feel discomfort or pain while squatting cause form could be a problem for you.

or you're just using weight you cant handle.

Cause when my feet didnt face the same way as my thighs, I cracked the shit out of it and killed it.

Hmmm....I don't believe I point my toes out, I will next time. IS it because I do full squats? I go past paralla for full squats so maybe that is it...I don't feel discomfort when I do squats and it ain't the weight cause I do 5x5 without too much dificulty.

TigerDGC said:
Hmmm....I don't believe I point my toes out, I will next time. IS it because I do full squats? I go past paralla for full squats so maybe that is it...I don't feel discomfort when I do squats and it ain't the weight cause I do 5x5 without too much dificulty.
No its not, because you do full squats.

I used to bounce in my squats when I first started and it felt like I was ripping my knee out. Please get down in a controlled fashion. So crucial.

AH! My eyes! Apparently your knees don't pass your toes.

What I think everyone is trying to say is that form is a serious issue with any lift and that correct form is very important for completing any lift correctly.

FCFighter316 said:
DONT LET YOUR KNEES GO PAST YOUR TOES!!
I had the same problem, it was b/c my first movement wasn't sticking my ass out...thats all a squat is, stick ur butt behind u and it works your glutes, hams quads way more

I'll disagree.

Knees past the toes is pretty much bound to happen during a squat (outside of the sense of PL, which I assume isn't the goal here).

It seems everyone latches on to some piece of dogma they heard somewhere and spout it religiously without thinking about it.

I tend to agree with arron Howard really. the deeper you go the more likely you're going to have to let your knees go beyond your toes. However, all the way to powerlifter depth and beyond, you they should be behind them.

TigerDGC said:
i sit back on my squats (to my knowledge) but i'll try using the box next time when the swelling goes down.

EDIT: I just made an apointment with the doc for tomorrow morning. I'll post the follow up tomorrow.

you might not be sitting back enough. if you feel like you would fall backwards using the same technique without a barbell, then you're probably doing it right, otherwise you're using too much quad and not enough hamstring. I do the same thing for front squats and my knees go well past my toes but i feel it mostly in my hamstrings, glutes, but especially calves.

Which one looks better?:

image002.jpg

Aaron Howard said:
Which one looks better?:

image002.jpg

Neither really. Just because the guy is too weak to sit back into his squat really doesn't prove anything. Hense the need for box squats. Once you get good at those, it becomes real easy to keep your knees behind your toes.

Personally, I think the bar looks WAY HIGH in both A and B. I can get the depth seen on A while keeping my knees behind my toes. Of course I squat with a considerably wider stance.

Back