My big stupid hype trains thread.

I dont mean to sound like an asshole but isnt he a bit old to make the transition to MMA? He has a nice muay thai pedigree but having a purple belt in Australia wont get him too far.
31 ain't that old to carve out a decent career in MMA at welterweight and above imo.

Lightweight and below is where guys hit a wall as soon as they hit their mid-thirties.

I dont mean to sound like an asshole but isnt he a bit old to make the transition to MMA? He has a nice muay thai pedigree but having a purple belt in Australia wont get him too far.

Shit, I did sound like an asshole. Dude seems pretty wholesome and could be interesting to see how he develops. Hopefully he can mix it up nicely.

All good, I don't see your post as being rude or anything. It's a fair question to ask.

Part of what I love about MMA is the literally endless possibilities. With the natural ability and physicality is there, so with the right training and mindset, who knows where he could end up?
Am I expecting Ben to be a world champ? Probably not. But with a string of wins on the regional circuit I could see him getting a call up to an Australian UFC card as a prelim fighter.
Wild speculation is all part of the fun.

congrats ufc new welterweight Pete Rodriguez from iKon only 4-0 and now ufc.

12 former UFC fighters who could return to the promotion in 2022
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/ufc-news-12-fighters-return-promotion-2022

I know you have done a list on what UFC fighters have been up to, and enjoy list making so thought you might enjoy this article and maybe make your own. I am surprised he did not say... Cyborg maybe should add Mighty Mouse even if he lost..

Gibson looked really good in the Dobson fight, if he can beat Ray Borg in his EFC fight I think he deserves to come back.

Lapilus is just a different level to where he was when he was in the UFC, one of the best BW's in the world now.

I know you have done a list on what UFC fighters have been up to, and enjoy list making so thought you might enjoy this article and maybe make your own. I am surprised he did not say... Cyborg maybe should add Mighty Mouse even if he lost..
Mighty mouse will retire after his contract. Crazy how he went from #1 p4p king to not even ranked after leaving the UFC.

Nash, Laupilus, and Carlyle seem to be the best of the bunch. Hopefully the UFC takes them back. I could live the rest of my life without watch Alqaisi fight again.

Nash, Laupilus, and Carlyle seem to be the best of the bunch. Hopefully the UFC takes them back. I could live the rest of my life without watch Alqaisi fight again.

Gibson is comfortably 2nd best behind Lapilus imo, he's looked really good lately.

Gibson looked really good in the Dobson fight, if he can beat Ray Borg in his EFC fight I think he deserves to come back.

Lapilus is just a different level to where he was when he was in the UFC, one of the best BW's in the world now.
Why did Lapilus leave the UFC in the first place? Also, Im very surprised Petr Yan hasnt been able to get Lavrentyev in the UFC.

Why did Lapilus leave the UFC in the first place? Also, Im very surprised Petr Yan hasnt been able to get Lavrentyev in the UFC.

IIRC he wanted to try boxing but it didn't really happen for some reason.

mma_zhauynger_20211204_2.png

Asu Almabaev

Country - Kazakhstan
Weight Class - Flyweight
Promotion - Naiza FC
Record : 14-2

This dude is the real deal imo. Great skills both on the feet and on the mat. Great spinny shit, tremendous uppercuts (some of the best I've seen in the sport), great entries, great ground control, great ground and pound. Speed, strength, power.

UFC needs to sign this dude yesterday.

Last edited:

Cody Gibson has always been a UFC level guy. I remember when he completely dominated Gamburyan then got caught in a guillotine.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/a49706a6edb0c5c3

@Hellowhosthat This dude is 3-1, are they trying to bank on irish people again?

Yeah, he looked fine in his last fight but the dude was a complete can (6-30), it's probably just partly because he's from Conor's gym and partly because they're running with this takeover part 2 thing.

Back