1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

My big stupid hype trains thread.

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Hellowhosthat, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Ares Black Plutonium Belt

It's interesting to look back at this thread and see all the fighters who are in the UFC now.

You know Mick Maynard and Sean Shelby have this thread bookmarked.

The_Renaissance likes this.
  2. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

@seanshelby @mickmaynard

[​IMG]

Ares Black likes this.
  3. TorontoTO Brown Belt

Wonder if they have scouts or do those two do everything?

4. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

"You know Roy Jones respects the threads of @Hellowhosthat , Joe...."

Ares Black likes this.
  5. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

Off work today with a spot of man flu so I'm catching up on a few people I wanted to see.

[​IMG]

Mafalda Carmona

Country - Portugal
    Weight Class - Bantamweight
    Promotion - European Beatdown
    Record : 3-0

Seems to be a female believer in smesh. From what I've been able to catch of her she just takes girls down and basically beats them up while throwing sub attempts in there too. She's also only 20 years old and I think she's going to develop into quite the problem. 3-0 with 3 wins by ground and pound stoppage, one by the ref, one by the doctor and one by the opponent's corner.

Ares Black likes this.
  6. Feniamin Brown Belt

Thanks for the info.
    I think they are kinda different, regarding immigration. For example regarding mma fighters -- from what I've seen Poland, Finland, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria -- Chechens only, UK -- I think only Dagestani guys (there is 1 or 2 other guys I've seen mentioned on social media). Also, again mma fighters -- Chechens are mostly in Europe + I know like 2 in US, while Dagestani -- Australia (Askerov lived there but he is mostly a kickboxer), China (few guys, I think Salikhov lived there for a few years), Canada (well, according to Tapology), I think there is a few fighters that represent Bahrain and some other countries like Qatar and Kuwait.
    There is also second event of Shlemenko's promotion at Saturday.
    I believe this too instead of his version.
    But I tried to think of it, isn't there is like only Dariush and Mousasi in American promotions? Like, amongst people with connection to Iran, maybe also Mr. Finland but seems like only Iranian guys are refugees/born in Iran but with another citizenship guys.
    Also I think Israel was kind of ignored by UFC until recently -- they signed Levy and had 2 guys on DWTNCS this season.

About Tajikistan and other guys -- maybe you think there is something like a Central Asian quota and they prefer to sign Kazakhstani/Uzbekistani fighters instead of, for example Tajikistani? Since pre-pandemic there were talks about UFC event in Kazakhstan and mma being illegal/banned in Tajikistan, I can get why they prefer Kazakhstani fighters.

Hellowhosthat and Ares Black like this.
  7. Ares Black Plutonium Belt

Pretty impressive performance. Very composed for someone so young. Very smesh.

Hellowhosthat likes this.
  8. Thesnake101 Think about it, it worth it.

In regards to Israel, they also had Noad Lahat whose only memorable moments came in the form of eating flying knees in his two losses.

I think it mostly boils down to the level of talent. Those places aren't really MMA hotbeds like any of the other markets the UFC is catering to right now, so they barely bother with them. With Muin Gafurov losing as well, I can't say they'll start pushing hard for Tajikistan.

9. Feniamin Brown Belt

I forgot about Turkey and Dagestani fighters. Forgot his name, that Dagestani friend of Khabib who went 0-2 and was cut around 9 years ago, who now lives and trains in Turkey encouraged Dagestani guys to take Turkish citizenship.
    Yeah, I meant between cuting of Lahat and 2020/2021 there wasn't any Israeli fighters in UFC and DWTNCS while Bellator was able to find guys like Keresh or Smotritsky. Also after his last fight in Russia Maor Maasiyaev (not sure if I written it right, he was born in Israel of Mountain Jewish origin, now goes to Russian University and trains there) said that next fight will happen abroad, beyond the ocean (I guess in US, but he didn't said it will be UFC or another American promotion). Just remembered, there was Yoni Sherbatov on TUF, who probably had Israeli citizenship (and also Russian and Canadian).

Tajikistani Nurullo Aliev said that he got offer from DWTNCS, I think both EFC and Open FC has Tajikistani guys as champions and from what I see majority of events in Russia has Tajikistani fighters on them (including contenders or unbeaten prospects).

10. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

Couple of fights that have sneaked on that weren't on Tap when I looked earlier in the week.

FEN

MW - #7 Sharaputdin Magomedov (27/Russia/6-0) Vs Joel Dos Santos (14-5)

Jungle Fight

LW - #11 Lucas Almeida (30/Brazil/12-1) Vs Italo Trindale (10-3)

CAGE

WBW - #3 Mafalda Carmona (20/Portugal/3-0) Vs Suzi Salmimies (11-5-1)

11. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

[​IMG]

Alfonso Leyva

Country - Mexico
    Weight Class - Welterweight
    Promotion - UWC
    Record : 5-0

A two time Mexican Olympic wrestler (not sure what that's worth in real terms) who seems to have bricks for fists. Very athletic and strong and while the striking is still coming together technically everything looks powerful and he seems to have one shot KO power. Not sure how good the wrestling is as he just decided to strike instead, I get the feeling if he can implement that and use ground and pound with his power then he'll be a problem.

Other good UWC performances (all Entram gym dudes I think)

Andres Luna Martinetti (26/Ecuador/FLW/12-0) - Really lovely BJJ once he gets it to the mat, beat latest opponent with a gorgeous calf slicer. Stand-up is a work in progress, nice and long for either Fly or BW, but leaves his chin far too high in the air at the moment.

Aaron Canate (25/Ecuador/FW/8-0) - Entram gym prospect who's only turned pro in the last couple of years but has been very active. Good crisp straight shots which seem to have some pop and nice kicks to supplement them. Grappling control and takedown defence seem okay at current level. Lacks head movement at the moment and needs to work on sub finishing as attempts at grappling finishes are a bit sloppy.

Leonardo Blasco (26/Venezuela/WW/16-4) - Solid karate standup with powerful kicks, decent offensive wrestling and controlling BJJ. Loses back position a bit too easily sometimes but seems solid all round other than that. Fights at a controlled pace and seems solid everywhere.

12. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

[​IMG]

Sharaputdin Magomedov

Country - Russia
    Weight Class - Middleweight
    Promotion - FNG
    Record : 7-0

Very active fighter who looks better every time I see him. After the Kadiev fight I thought "this guy looks pretty good", then he murdered Allakhverdian with a brutal elbow and I thought "this guy looks like a top prospect" and now he's followed that up by sending Joel Dos Santos to the astro-plane with a front hook kick I'm thinking the dude looks like a potential world champion.

Just insane levels of skill, can turn the pressure on when he wants to, can fight off the back foot when he wants to, can wrestle well offensively, defensive wrestling is on point, can finish guys in a variety of different ways. Really everything you look for in a prospect.

The one different coloured eye looks fucking cool too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM
  13. executionermma Red Belt

whats up with his eye? @Feniamin isn't some kind of vision issue?

14. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

Rebecki won again, looks like the dude he was fighting was pretty tough

Mafalda lost by decision, guess fighting a 11-5-1 girl 6 months into her career was too much too soon.

15. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

[​IMG]

Yusaku Kinoshita

Country - Japan
    Weight Class - Welterweight
    Promotion - RIZIN
    Record : 4-1 <KhabibBS>

Had a clear finish taken away for grabbing the cage in a bit of a Matt Hamill Vs Jon Jones "well it was technically illegal but he'd kind of won by then anyway" moment. I'm still going to be considering him undefeated. Showed good aggression, power and finishing instinct when he hurt his opponent (okay maybe too much), looked in control when grappling on top and put a constant pressure on his opponent. Also worth considering that he's 21 in his 5th pro fight against a 19-7-1 guy too.

Bubzeh likes this.
  16. TorontoTO Brown Belt

The main event also had the guy grab the cage on the soccer kick. I guess it wasn’t as obvious as this one but alas. Excited to see the new Japanese prospects

17. Feniamin Brown Belt

I watched one interview with him, as far as I remember he didn't said what is the name of medical condition but said that vision is worse in that eye.

18. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

Should still let him fight in the US imo, he can clearly see well enough with it to beat the ever loving fuck out of people.

19. TorontoTO Brown Belt

There was that one guy who fought on the XMMA card or whatever who is completely blind in one eye and just kept getting clipped by the hook from that side

if he can get approved in America, everyone can

Kryptt likes this.
  20. Feniamin Brown Belt

Isn't Bisping had problem with one eye?