Music/MMA/other good stuff

I'll watch only because I'm interested in how Conor looks. He's been out for 15 months. Even though he's past his best days Cowboy has always been a fun fighter to watch. If he managed to pull this off it'd be big but I don't think it's in the cards. I'll be rooting for him so I hope I'm wrong.

Here is for the metalheads. About 10 yrs ago when I was still a bit of a greenhorn on the kit, I started a project with the guy who founded this band (Deadnight), and he liked what we were writing so much, he convinced his bassist from Deadnight to join up, but we upped the tempo so much and everything we were writing sounded like Deadnight so I ended up drumming for them and the other projects songs got reworked for an album that never actually got released even though if you check Metal-achives.com (the Boxrec of metal) it says it came out in 2013. Funny because I actually got in a huge fight with this guy, went on to form other projects, got into fights with them, and wound up making ammends with my old band bud in DN, actually work for him and his dad now and we just started rehearsal and revision of the material we started writing a decade ago LOL.

Yeah, Cowboy is shot and even when he wasn't, his striking defense and slow starts would've made him fodder for Conor early. He'd have a chance if he made it through two rounds and employed a grappling heavy gameplan, but I think he'd probably always get stopped in the first two rounds of the fight. Shit card other than that fight, and that fight isn't really that great aside from the spectacle of McGregor.
Yeah he is a terrible starter but he was durable as fuck and Conor sucks against non-manlets

I think it could go either way but odds would certainly favor Mcgregor a bit. RDA might have been a harder matchup....both were kinda talking shit to conrad at that press conference. Cerrone and rda were actually there to promote their fight against eachother iirc

Here is for the metalheads. About 10 yrs ago when I was still a bit of a greenhorn on the kit, I started a project with the guy who founded this band (Deadnight), and he liked what we were writing so much, he convinced his bassist from Deadnight to join up, but we upped the tempo so much and everything we were writing sounded like Deadnight so I ended up drumming for them and the other projects songs got reworked for an album that never actually got released even though if you check Metal-achives.com (the Boxrec of metal) it says it came out in 2013. Funny because I actually got in a huge fight with this guy, went on to form other projects, got into fights with them, and wound up making ammends with my old band bud in DN, actually work for him and his dad now and we just started rehearsal and revision of the material we started writing a decade ago LOL.

I'm confused. So is that your band or not

Yeah he is a terrible starter but he was durable as fuck and Conor sucks against non-manlets

I think it could go either way but odds would certainly favor Mcgregor a bit. RDA might have been a harder matchup....both were kinda talking shit to conrad at that press conference. Cerrone and rda were actually there to promote their fight against eachother iirc

conor should run through cerrone no matter any size difference. He’s a fast starter, accurate/hard hitter with excellent tdd. Not sure how Donald wins other than outlasting him. And I don’t think he’s durable enough for that. If cerrone makes it till the end of the 2nd, I’ll be surprised. If Conor struggles with him, he should give it up. Id love cerrone to beat him but he’d have to have dropped off an awful lot for that to happen

There’s been a lot of baseless talk from mcgregors team in recent weeks; best shape ever, more motivated, blah blah blah! I wouldn’t be surprised if he looks toilet. He’s been living the celebrity life for a couple of years now. Not ideal training and preperation

I'll watch only because I'm interested in how Conor looks. He's been out for 15 months. Even though he's past his best days Cowboy has always been a fun fighter to watch. If he managed to pull this off it'd be big but I don't think it's in the cards. I'll be rooting for him so I hope I'm wrong.

I’m not staying up till 6am to watch mcgregor win a fight he’s supposed to win. IF Donald can pull it off, I’ll be gutted I missed it!

Good stuff right here. It’s darker, obviously, but the main riffs here make me thing of Exodus, and the more melodic ending gets kind of Maiden-esque. I like it.

So what are you up to ? LP ? Gigs ?

Good stuff right here. It’s darker, obviously, but the main riffs here make me thing of Exodus, and the more melodic ending gets kind of Maiden-esque. I like it.

So what are you up to ? LP ? Gigs ?
Yeah, Mike is a genuine talent who suffered greatly for his music, had the knack for it, but was extremely hard on himself and demanded a very rigid pin point result. DN released two, Messenger of Death and Riders of the Black wind EP and while EP was good it was more rooted in black metal/Dissection vibe while Messenger of Death was his vision, an extremely thrash oriented approach with heavy maiden and BM influences, the riffing is extremely dark, infectious, and evil sounding throughout entire release. The project kinda died and became a solo project he still puts occasional work into, but like Necrophagist we are still waiting for something new. A couple ideas have been spoken by the dude, and I've offered to help him along in the percussion dept, I'm certainly no greenhorn anymore, but as a dad of two running a business, he doesn't say much about DN anymore, and has been more vocal about our other project getting its first release.

I met with Mike a few years back, and we framed some new material, and dubbed ourselves "Stratagem" and a week or two later he came back to jam what we worked on and I had gone from concept to straight metronomic precision with fills, transitions, blasts, and marching orders for things I wanted to see with the song. I think two things hit him right there, A) he'd put his talents on the shelf to start a family and focus on a career too long and B) in the 5-6 yrs we hadn't been jamming, I had grown immensely as a drummer, like a guy who had been playing 25 years instead of 10, because he was basically open that he couldn't keep up and felt blindsided by what I was serving up. We worked on it but he had a 1st kid on way and eventually the jams stopped. Tbh, I was kinda disappointed and basically told him to take it seriously or I would rather just cover shit alone in my garage. I had just left a band for not caring enough about their roles as musicians and here was someone who influenced me to think that way making excuses why his hands wouldn't "do it" anymore. I wasn't having it.

So about a couple months ago, he messages me, and sends me some click tracks, guitar tracks, and some old material that never got released, and it was all our songs reworked, metronomically tight, his classically infused thrash riffing back or almost back up to point, and to say I was thrilled would be an understatement. So Stratagem will live again, I'm trying to convince him to meet up to expand what we got by framing out a few more songs, do a full length, or do a split with DN as I've heard some unreleased material that is either complete or near complete, but he has been adamant about sticking to four tracks and debuting with an EP.

Stratagem is like Deadnight mixed with Angelcorpse to a degree, the tempo is more rigid and meant for proper application of blasts, I'm a big believer in that style for intensity sake, but Im open to recording to a click of varying tempos for the final product if it affects the final result of how the guitar work feels. Obviously metal is almost always 4/4, sometimes riffing sounds altered by say a 220-240 blast, so I said as long as hes in good playing shape, compose to his hearts content, I work around him.

Playing live probably wont happen, but then again you never know. We both have responsibilities, he has a wife and 2 kids, I have 2 roofs to support, my own, and my nearly retired Moms who cares for my mentally Ill brother. It's funny, on top of that, aside from our very rigid but very compatible views about music theory, we also both share some anger and aloofness towards the local scene and just the city of Chicago where it'd make sense to play, we've both had too many instances where we were outright attacked, outnumbered and even arrested for defending ourselves. Honestly fuck Chicago. I stopped going to shows altogether, cant tell you how many times someone thought cause I'm on the manlet end of the spectrum it was time to beat me up because I accidentally bumped into them, or they thought I was looking at their girl, or some stupid shit. Cowards are a lot less tough after the lifelong wrestler in me puts them on their back, but then you got their buddy's and bouncers jumping on you and last time I wound up in a paddy wagon, and the CPD beat me up worse than the 3-4 bouncers had. But you never know.

I am not sure when material will be released, I'm either recording drums in a month or two, or we go back to work for construction for the summer, polish the songs up a little more along way, and record drums and he takes it from there next fall/winter. Either way, I'll shoot you the details when we got something if you're interested.

Yeah, Mike is a genuine talent who suffered greatly for his music, had the knack for it, but was extremely hard on himself and demanded a very rigid pin point result. DN released two, Messenger of Death and Riders of the Black wind EP and while EP was good it was more rooted in black metal/Dissection vibe while Messenger of Death was his vision, an extremely thrash oriented approach with heavy maiden and BM influences, the riffing is extremely dark, infectious, and evil sounding throughout entire release. The project kinda died and became a solo project he still puts occasional work into, but like Necrophagist we are still waiting for something new. A couple ideas have been spoken by the dude, and I've offered to help him along in the percussion dept, I'm certainly no greenhorn anymore, but as a dad of two running a business, he doesn't say much about DN anymore, and has been more vocal about our other project getting its first release.

I met with Mike a few years back, and we framed some new material, and dubbed ourselves "Stratagem" and a week or two later he came back to jam what we worked on and I had gone from concept to straight metronomic precision with fills, transitions, blasts, and marching orders for things I wanted to see with the song. I think two things hit him right there, A) he'd put his talents on the shelf to start a family and focus on a career too long and B) in the 5-6 yrs we hadn't been jamming, I had grown immensely as a drummer, like a guy who had been playing 25 years instead of 10, because he was basically open that he couldn't keep up and felt blindsided by what I was serving up. We worked on it but he had a 1st kid on way and eventually the jams stopped. Tbh, I was kinda disappointed and basically told him to take it seriously or I would rather just cover shit alone in my garage. I had just left a band for not caring enough about their roles as musicians and here was someone who influenced me to think that way making excuses why his hands wouldn't "do it" anymore. I wasn't having it.

So about a couple months ago, he messages me, and sends me some click tracks, guitar tracks, and some old material that never got released, and it was all our songs reworked, metronomically tight, his classically infused thrash riffing back or almost back up to point, and to say I was thrilled would be an understatement. So Stratagem will live again, I'm trying to convince him to meet up to expand what we got by framing out a few more songs, do a full length, or do a split with DN as I've heard some unreleased material that is either complete or near complete, but he has been adamant about sticking to four tracks and debuting with an EP.

Stratagem is like Deadnight mixed with Angelcorpse to a degree, the tempo is more rigid and meant for proper application of blasts, I'm a big believer in that style for intensity sake, but Im open to recording to a click of varying tempos for the final product if it affects the final result of how the guitar work feels. Obviously metal is almost always 4/4, sometimes riffing sounds altered by say a 220-240 blast, so I said as long as hes in good playing shape, compose to his hearts content, I work around him.

Playing live probably wont happen, but then again you never know. We both have responsibilities, he has a wife and 2 kids, I have 2 roofs to support, my own, and my nearly retired Moms who cares for my mentally Ill brother. It's funny, on top of that, aside from our very rigid but very compatible views about music theory, we also both share some anger and aloofness towards the local scene and just the city of Chicago where it'd make sense to play, we've both had too many instances where we were outright attacked, outnumbered and even arrested for defending ourselves. Honestly fuck Chicago. I stopped going to shows altogether, cant tell you how many times someone thought cause I'm on the manlet end of the spectrum it was time to beat me up because I accidentally bumped into them, or they thought I was looking at their girl, or some stupid shit. Cowards are a lot less tough after the lifelong wrestler in me puts them on their back, but then you got their buddy's and bouncers jumping on you and last time I wound up in a paddy wagon, and the CPD beat me up worse than the 3-4 bouncers had. But you never know.

I am not sure when material will be released, I'm either recording drums in a month or two, or we go back to work for construction for the summer, polish the songs up a little more along way, and record drums and he takes it from there next fall/winter. Either way, I'll shoot you the details when we got something if you're interested.

Thanks a lot for the info. Good for you if you can get some cool new stuff done while dealing with grown up responsabilities. I'm mostly into classical heavy metal and thrash, but I don't mind some darker stuff as long as it is good. As far as drumming goes I really dig the likes of Lombardo, Cavalera or Benante, or more recently Mario Duplantier. Keep me posted, for sure.

Also, lol @ fools who start shit with an experienced wrestler.

Go write songs about how much you hate Chicago. It may fuel some quality shit. A good old French metal band called Trust made a song about how much they hated a bourgeois city in the Loire Valley called Saumur, and it came out pretty decently.

Ribs, God I want some ribs slathered in some Dinosaur bbq. Brisket and some cornbread w/ a lil bowl of chili too? You make your own bbq?

Kind of - I'll do sausages & chicken as best I can on my grill but I really need to get myself a smoker this spring. It's going to be the summer of slow cooked brisket around here. Just made some good chili last night with ground beef but boy oh boy would brisket trimmings really kick it up a notch.

How about you?

Kind of - I'll do sausages & chicken as best I can on my grill but I really need to get myself a smoker this spring. It's going to be the summer of slow cooked brisket around here. Just made some good chili last night with ground beef but boy oh boy would brisket trimmings really kick it up a notch.

How about you?
Same here. I don't have a smoker either and that's kept me from really diving into it deeply. We have a cpl local spots up here where I think about making ribs or something but end up just grabbing food from them instead. I do like to make some chicken and pork, cook it on a low temp and slather it w/ some bbq a few times over, but I don't come near doing the real deal. I wish I did, tho, b/c bbq sauce is one of the best things ever invented.

Are you in Texas now, btw? I bet you have a dozen spots within a few miles that kill the bbq game.

Same here. I don't have a smoker either and that's kept me from really diving into it deeply. We have a cpl local spots up here where I think about making ribs or something but end up just grabbing food from them instead. I do like to make some chicken and pork, cook it on a low temp and slather it w/ some bbq a few times over, but I don't come near doing the real deal. I wish I did, tho, b/c bbq sauce is one of the best things ever invented.

Yeah I do the same thing, put all of the coals & wood to the far left, then put the meat on the rack to the far right; I put the meat in just when the fire dies off. Usually don't use sauce, though. We dry rub our stuff (but I'll put hot sauce on it afterwards).

Are you in Texas now, btw? I bet you have a dozen spots within a few miles that kill the bbq game.

Yeah, been here for about 8 months now. This place is lousy with BBQ places, can't throw a rock without hitting one. And so far I haven't had any bad BBQ. I did get a plate of brisket once that had a pretty chewy piece in it, but the rest was really tender; just a rogue piece of meat I guess.

We drove all the way down to south south Austin for the Original Salt Lick and it was pretty good. I don't think it was spend-all-day-driving good, but definitely the place I'd go if I were in the area.

@Shoemaker i lived in pfluggerville , a suburb of Austin. I have a friend who has a kempo school in Austin.

Thanks a lot for the info. Good for you if you can get some cool new stuff done while dealing with grown up responsabilities. I'm mostly into classical heavy metal and thrash, but I don't mind some darker stuff as long as it is good. As far as drumming goes I really dig the likes of Lombardo, Cavalera or Benante, or more recently Mario Duplantier. Keep me posted, for sure.

Also, lol @ fools who start shit with an experienced wrestler.

Go write songs about how much you hate Chicago. It may fuel some quality shit. A good old French metal band called Trust made a song about how much they hated a bourgeois city in the Loire Valley called Saumur, and it came out pretty decently.
I am similar in taste, extreme metal has to be perfect or damn near, I can't take the cookie cutter clones. Morbid Angel, Angelcorpse, early Dark Funeral, Dissection, pretty much the bands who started in or caused a wave, no need for me to list 200 bands, but you get where this would go lol. I actually like heavy metal the best and even some glam as I get older, oddly enough I even became a fan of 80/90s/modern pop along the way, but metal will always hold a place in my heart and really is the meat and potatoes of my drumming.

Funny you should mention writing a song about hating Chicago and the scene, my guy actually has lyrical content of that already under his belt. He resented the thrash revival because he felt many bands missed the point, or were hopping on bandwagon. Track called Wardogs off that EP I mentioned of Deadnight, they specifically slam the band Skeletonwitch haha...

Yeah, I actually want to retract what I said about getting "details" to you about any future releases, details schmetails, I've been posting on this forum with ya for a decade, if I got a release I'll just ask ya for an address and mail ya a copy.

Conor McGregor's popularity is a bit of a mystery. He's been exposed a bunch of times and has the personality of a yellow toenail. Why do people like this guy so much?

Back