Music/MMA/other good stuff

My father used to play this song all the time when we would take road trips to Connecticut. It was like a 4 or 5hr drive from where we lived so he played a lot of Steely Dan and Neil Young. We always tried to get him to play hip hop but he hated that shit so we would harass him to keep playing Charlie Daniels Devil Went down to Georgia. Coolest violin playing ever (or should I say fiddle? Is there even a difference?) I've listened to that song a million times esp as a kid.

Anyway this 'Horse with No Name' song in particular was one of his favorites but I'm pretty sure up until today I thought it was Neil Young who was singing this song and I think my dad told me it was him, lol. i
I wouldn't have known any better at 12 or 13 or whatever age I was.

It really does sound almost exactly like Neil but when I looked this song up earlier it's apparently from some band called 'America'. I've been lied to for my whole life. Even my Pops thought it was Neil. Haha. I feel cheated but it's still a dope song, imo.

Also idc what anyone says, Steely Dan goes hard.

Nah, at least not up here. My dad is a huge Neil Young fan and my Ma is too. That being said my dad used to play free bird all the time and I still jam tf out to that to this day. Air guitar like a child, it's so fucking good. Old Man is one of the atg classic rock songs tho, too, top 10 for me, not that I'm an expert or anything.

If that's what you're referring to, the beef between them. Seems like more of a Southern thing from what my Dad told me but I really don't know for sure. Other than that I don't remember any old timers up North really having disdain for him at least in my days.

It was mostly a reaction to him commenting either directly or via song on reactionaries in the American South. Lynard Skynard said some things about it (although, by some accounts they were never really that critical of him and they always maintained a decent relationship). I'm from Alberta and you even get shit people up here who'll call out Neil Young for "getting into other people's business" among other things (also saying a few negative things about the oil sands). You also find a lot of guys up here who think they're from the American South and like to play the part (the shit parts, not talking shit about Southerners, either), so that happens. Not to disparage Alberta, it's generally a decent place.

Anyway, someone from Swift Current, which is of the Canadian Prairie:

Last edited:
My father used to play this song all the time when we would take road trips to Connecticut. It was like a 4 or 5hr drive from where we lived so he played a lot of Steely Dan and Neil Young. We always tried to get him to play hip hop but he hated that shit so we would harass him to keep playing Charlie Daniels Devil Went down to Georgia. Coolest violin playing ever (or should I say fiddle? Is there even a difference?) I've listened to that song a million times esp as a kid.

Anyway this 'Horse with No Name' song in particular was one of his favorites but I'm pretty sure up until today I thought it was Neil Young who was singing this song and I think my dad told me it was him, lol. i
I wouldn't have known any better at 12 or 13 or whatever age I was.

It really does sound almost exactly like Neil but when I looked this song up earlier it's apparently from some band called 'America'. I've been lied to for my whole life. Even my Pops thought it was Neil. Haha. I feel cheated but it's still a dope song, imo.

Also idc what anyone says, Steely Dan goes hard.

It is Neil Young. Neil Young was in Buffalo Springfield.

Back