muscle milk

yea, MM gives me alot of gas. which gives me lots of laughs.

Ted-P said:
I heard it's not ideal for postwork after lifting.

Is it true?

I believe that it is not the most effeciant postwork-out muscle supplement compared to whey protein, because whey is faster absorbing into the muscles.

actually, nizzle, i just read in Muscle and Fitness (i think) that when its taken right after a workout, casein is just as effective as whey and it doesnt take long to break down.

what a dumb thread this has become. it actually says on the label that you can take it pre, post, as well as before sleep, and yet everyone keeps asking about it. I don't understand the logic. If you're hesitant of trying this product, then don't, but as you can see, many of the forum members are saying that it is a great product.

And yes, it is the worst gas imaginable... sometimes it also gives me the runs. but predictable gas is fun and can have its own uses.

paulchu said:
what a dumb thread this has become. it actually says on the label that you can take it pre, post, as well as before sleep, and yet everyone keeps asking about it. I don't understand the logic.

Well, what the hell do you expect? Do you expect the label to say that it isn't reccomended for post-work-out, and that it ISN'T the best stuff out there? No. Everyone's label proclaims it is the best stuff out there. They are marketing this stuff to you, they are going to tell you what you want to hear.

Also, labels on protein / gainer powders usually suggest the absolute maximum dosage safe. If you followed everything that it suggested.....it would just be ridiculous.

Nizzle - Check out the Supplement Wars thread I did. There's actually only SO much bullshit on a label the FDA will put up with. It all has to be verifiable in some way, you'd be shocked how many supplements get pulled each year because their information is off by a fraction of a percent or makes an un-established claim.

And yes, it is the worst gas imaginable... sometimes it also gives me the runs. but predictable gas is fun and can have its own uses.

Yeah like when you're in the car with 3 or 4 of your buddies and you're driving and thus have control of the Window Locks.

I'm aware that they can put whatever they want on the label, but couple that with the actual recommendation from actual people on this forum (as stated in the sentence you have decided to leave out when you quoted me) and I don't see what can go so wrong with it.

Proteins, caseins, and "good" fats. What would be so wrong with taking these pre-, post-, or before bed? I don't get it.

And the "don't eat right before you go to bed" is the biggest fucking myth ever. You burn close to 1/3 of your minimum caloric needs during sleep (because typically you sleep 8 hours or 1/3 of the day). If you eat something that takes longer to digest, it will actually keep you fed throughout the night, and you will have not starved your body. If you go by not eating post 6pm, and you wake up at 6am, you have starved your body from new nutrients for 12 hours. If that's not starving your body of nutrients, i dont know what is.

The casein part had me going.

Paulchu needs to relax.

paulchu said:
I'm aware that they can put whatever they want on the label, but couple that with the actual recommendation from actual people on this forum (as stated in the sentence you have decided to leave out when you quoted me) and I don't see what can go so wrong with it.

Proteins, caseins, and "good" fats. What would be so wrong with taking these pre-, post-, or before bed? I don't get it.

And the "don't eat right before you go to bed" is the biggest fucking myth ever. You burn close to 1/3 of your minimum caloric needs during sleep (because typically you sleep 8 hours or 1/3 of the day). If you eat something that takes longer to digest, it will actually keep you fed throughout the night, and you will have not starved your body. If you go by not eating post 6pm, and you wake up at 6am, you have starved your body from new nutrients for 12 hours. If that's not starving your body of nutrients, i dont know what is.

Okay, okay. I agree with you on the most part. I never really said that MM should not be taken as a post workout meal, I just implied that it was not the best supplement to get optimum results in regards to your post workout nutrition.

we are on the same page. I mean there are surely better nutrients for a lot of specific occasions, but as a general supplement, for what it does, Muscle Milk is one of the best from my experience, in terms of results and its versatility.

and come on, the gas is fun too!

Beach Head said:
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/muscle-milk-cytosport.htm

According to this review it says that MM should NOT be taken after working out. I guess its best to take it right before then?

IMO, it's worse to take it at night than PWO. There's not just casein but whey in Evopro, so I think it's perfectly suited to PWO. What he says about colostrum is true, though, it's an expensive waste.

i decided to take some muscle milk this morning.. and i had to worst case of allergies ever.. my head all congested.. nonstop runny nose...

maybe i'll just drink a different protein shake for the mornings.. and mm at night post-workout..

Yeah you dont want to take it at night because you wont be burning the MCTs. I take ON Whey PWO, MM sometime during the day, and non fat cottage cheese before bed.

i decided to take some muscle milk this morning.. and i had to worst case of allergies ever.. my head all congested.. nonstop runny nose...

maybe i'll just drink a different protein shake for the mornings.. and mm at night post-workout..

Huh? You think the protein had something to do with sinus problems?

Yeah you dont want to take it at night because you wont be burning the MCTs. I take ON Whey PWO, MM sometime during the day, and non fat cottage cheese before bed.

The MCT's in muscle milk are already pre-digested. Casein is the best kind of protein to take at night because of the slow absorption, it'll be used instead of glycogen stores to allow your body to awaken better into the anabolic state. I use yogurt at night because of the lesser calorie content, but if someone is bulking there's not really a reason not to use MM at night IMO.

King Kabuki said:
The MCT's in muscle milk are already pre-digested. Casein is the best kind of protein to take at night because of the slow absorption, it'll be used instead of glycogen stores to allow your body to awaken better into the anabolic state. I use yogurt at night because of the lesser calorie content, but if someone is bulking there's not really a reason not to use MM at night IMO.

That's a good point, Kabuki, it should be pointed out: it depends on what your goals are.

MM is one of the few powders that it used for both weight loss and weight gain (because of the distinct properties of MCT's).

Still, I'm not a fan of MCT's for weight loss, and not too fond of the idea of putting any dietary fat into my body before sleeping.

You least-of-all need it. lol

I don't know what you got against MCT's for weight loss. In America it's not that MCT's or any nutritional fat for that matter, are being billed as any kind of miracle. What people lose sight of is that it's just a whole Hell of a lot better than the shit people eat on a normal basis. If there were proper intake of good fats from proper sources, MCT's as a supplement would be moot.

King Kabuki said:
Huh? You think the protein had something to do with sinus problems?

well it happens to me everytime i drink milk whether it's lactose free or not... if it's regular milk, i also get loose shits.. my allergies always seem to correlate with my consumption of milk.. i've stopped drinking milk for quite some time and haven't had a bad case of sinuses like this during that time..

i'll give u guys an update tomorrow night.. i won't take any MM in the morning and i'll let u guys know if my sinuses are still flaring up.. :D

Your sinuses suck.

Back