MTV Made: I want to be a powerlifter

So if I go to the gym tomorrow and then go home and pose for my girlfriend in a thong I'd be considered an athlete?

Just like my friend who spent 2 years self-supporting winning beauty contests... she does triathlons (yes she belongs in the girls and ass thread) just because she runs like a motherfucker doesn't make a beauty contest an athletic event

Then do us all a favour and put her in the thread.

So if I go to the gym tomorrow and then go home and pose for my girlfriend in a thong I'd be considered an athlete?

Then do us all a favour and put her in the thread.
aren't you already an athlete? In fact I think it would diminish your being an athlete.

I can't find a picture of her ass. If I asked for one I think she'd kill me/she's currently attending western kentucky. I will scour facebook but from what I see just a front shot of her at a beauty contest BEFORE she did her first triathlon so it might be a BS photo for that thread.

It's is and it isn't. Absolutely a powerlifter will have a certain degree of hypertrophy, and, if the amount of bodyfat is relatively low, might even look Jakt. And a background in powerlifting has allowed for many people to succesfully transition into bodybuilding.

On the other hand, the muscle groups where a powerlifter gains the most muscle mass are not necessarily what a bodybuilder would consider symmetrical, nor what the average person would conisder aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, a powerlifter in a lower weight category might be incredibly strong, but appear as an average, relatively atheletic person. And in the higher weight classes may appear to be someone who's got a bit of muscle along with some fat.

In fact, one of the guys, a bouncer, who sometimes works out at the same gym as me told this story: He's at work, and some dumbass bumps into another customer, the other customer happens to be a SHW powerlifter, with a over 1000kg total...and the dumbass wants to start something, thinking he's just some fat guy. So the bouncer tells the dumbass to take a good look at him first...so the dumbass says meakly "....he's a really big guy"...Point being, the average dumbass may be next to the strongest person they've ever met and not even know it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...point being that no matter what, a change in the appearance of someone is an aesthetic. Essentially, I have yet to meet someone who got stronger with no change in outward appearance, therefore I draw a correlation between strength training and aesthetics.

Also, I disagree with those of you saying bb is a sport. I think it's no more a sport than modeling is. Some model their clothes, some model their bodies.

I do not consider bodybuilding a sport. Sure it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but they are judged aesthetically, not on how they perform physically.

They just don't stand on the stage like a bunch of idiots. They are also judged based on posing routines. A bodybuilder can win or lose purley based on their posing routines which take a lot of time and practice to get right. There is a lot of technique inolved. You do have to be very well conditioned to be flexing your entire body for several minutes on stage while holding your pose exactly perfect while running low on water and carbs.

They just don't stand on the stage like a bunch of idiots. They are also judged based on posing routines. A bodybuilder can win or lose purley based on their posing routines which take a lot of time and practice to get right. There is a lot of technique inolved. You do have to be very well conditioned to be flexing your entire body for several minutes on stage while holding your pose exactly perfect while running low on water and carbs.

It's not a sport.

It's an aesthetic competition. Posing is part of aesthetics.

I know this is a powerlifting/functional training forum so I wont reach many ears here but having participated in mma before, I have had plenty of people tell me that what I do is not a sport and it pissed me off. So I am not going to do the same. I'm not a bodybuilder and I am guessing nobody here is either, so there is a lot that we don't know about bodybuilding. It's just something different from what we do and still deserves respect.

Would you consider swimsuit modeling a sport too? What about other beauty pageants?

So the figure olympia is a sport (includes gymnastics) but bodybuilding isn't? Seems odd.

Personally, I think if golf, poker, and curling are sports, bodybuilding can be included as well.

I think "sport" is such a broad term now. Look at the definition (Sport): | Define Sport): at Dictionary.com

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

The way I read that, any sort of game that requires any sort of athleticism is a sport. This is where I don't understand how things like shooting pool and darts can be considered a sport.

My gripe with bodybuilding being considered a sport is that I don't think a bunch of oiled up orange dudes flexing is an athletic activity. The preparation to get there requires a lot of athletic work, but so does preparing for a role in a movie. I understand bodybuilding is hard and takes tons of dedication, but I just don't consider a bodybuilding competition to be a sporting event. I don't mean that to be insulting either.

My gripe with bodybuilding being considered a sport is that I don't think a bunch of oiled up orange dudes flexing is an athletic activity. The preparation to get there requires a lot of athletic work, but so does preparing for a role in a movie. I understand bodybuilding is hard and takes tons of dedication, but I just don't consider a bodybuilding competition to be a sporting event. I don't mean that to be insulting either.

Apparently, bodybuilding takes tons of dedication and is incredibly difficult.

But I also find that level of vanity distasteful and odd.

Swimsuit modeling and beaty pageants are worlds apart from bodybuilding. Way, way, WAAAAAAY different.

In terms of training, they are not way way WAAAAAAY different. I've been around BBers, figure competitors and bikini competitors and many of them train in very similar ways.

Fitness competitions are a bit different to me. I'd consider that a sport because it at least has an athletic requirement.

In terms of training, they are not way way WAAAAAAY different. I've been around BBers, figure competitors and bikini competitors and many of them train in very similar ways.

Fitness competitions are a bit different to me. I'd consider that a sport because it at least has an athletic requirement.

What you've seen a bikini competitor do this: :icon_surp

just kidding, but I do regard bodybuilding as a sport.
The term sport is really out of control now.. You can regard chess and shooting a sport, so why not bodybuilding?
It is a Aesthetic sport, such as dancing, ice skating and other sports like that, which requires a great deal of coordination and places a heavy emphasis on how the performers look.

Last edited:
Oblivian you'll be happy to know that chess is also a sport.

*rolls eyes*

Good job. Bikini competitors squat too.

I think "sport" is such a broad term now. Look at the definition (Sport): | Define Sport): at Dictionary.com

The way I read that, any sort of game that requires any sort of athleticism is a sport. This is where I don't understand how things like shooting pool and darts can be considered a sport.

I like how people say "It's just a bunch of dudes flexing". Not any gym rat can go on stage and flex like these guys can. There is a lot of technique to those posing routines that requires total body control. Those guys can manipulate their bodies like no one else.

And what about gymnastics? That sport is judged purely based on how you look while doing a certain routine. How is that any different?

Well you know what I am not a figure competitor or bikine competitor so until I fully understand those activities I am not going to bash them and not call them a sport. Like I said before I have been insulted before by people saying that what I do is not a sport so I won't do it to others.

I like how people say "It's just a bunch of dudes flexing". Not any gym rat can go on stage and flex like these guys can. There is a lot of technique to those posing routines that requires total body control. Those guys can manipulate their bodies like no one else.

And what about gymnastics? That sport is judged purely based on how you look while doing a certain routine. How is that any different?

Which part of gymnastics is based on how you look? Most of the judging is involved in technique.

Back