MTV Made: I want to be a powerlifter

I work for the show MADE, and was the one responsible for casting Johnnie in the episode. He may be primarily a bodybuilder, but to doubt his knowledge in powerlifting is just naive. Also, as someone stated earlier, while powerlifting purists may be unhappy with a guy who has the physique of a professional bodybuilder coaching powerlifting, it is a better aesthetic for the demographic we are catering to, and the appears far more impressive than the typical powerlifter. In addition, Johnnie was just a really great guy who was genuinely interested in helping Jerick, which is really what is most important. You should check out the show in its entirety, but try to keep in mind that: 1) most of you are not the target audience, and 2) certain things must be shown to keep up the entertainment value. Sure, if the target demographic was adult males with experience in powerlifting competition and knowledge of the difference between raw, 1-ply, and 2-ply gear is, then I would understand a stricter judgment.

Pics or work newb.

My understanding is that most stay on year round with a mild dose, but ramp the dosages up high close to a meet.

I've seen the same.

Blast and cruise. Blast up to a meet, cruise between cycles at 125-250mg every week of test enanthate.

ugh, it's gonna give the wrong idea, it will do well to perpetuate existing assumptions about the relationship between aesthetics and strength.

While this may certainly be true, that casual viewer would just look at a typical powerlfiter as being fat, and thus skeptical about the quality of coach we brought in. Admittedly, you can look at the negatives with using a full-time bodybuilder as the coach. However, keep in mind that the simple fact there was an episode at all gave the sport of powerlifting main stream exposure, especially to an upcoming generation of potential practicioners. It's not perfect, but it's good nonetheless.

ugh, it's gonna give the wrong idea, it will do well to perpetuate existing assumptions about the relationship between aesthetics and strength.

If someone is going to let MTV Made sway their opinion about strength training, they probably weren't ever cut out for it.

If someone is going to let MTV Made sway their opinion about strength training, they probably weren't ever cut out for it.

This...

I guess to me it makes no sense to pass judgement on this show for not having someone who looks like Wendler or Bolton doing to coaching. As was stated, the demographic for this show is completely different than the demographic for this forum, we may as well start talking about how to get ripped and tanned like the cats on the jersey shore show

This...

I guess to me it makes no sense to pass judgement on this show for not having someone who looks like Wendler or Bolton doing to coaching. As was stated, the demographic for this show is completely different than the demographic for this forum, we may as well start talking about how to get ripped and tanned like the cats on the jersey shore show

Except Wendler is no longer fat and out of shape.

Except Wendler is no longer fat and out of shape.

I wasn't saying that he is, I'm simply trying to point out that for the demographic of Made, a bodybuilding physique is much more impressive than Wendler's

I wasn't saying that he is, I'm simply trying to point out that for the demographic of Made, a bodybuilding physique is much more impressive than Wendler's

Which brings us back full circle to:

I agree it brings about the wrong ideas to some extent. But if he's not using machines, and talks about why they can lead to injury (I can attest to that) and how squats and dls are the true basis for using strength for anything in life. I think the total societal benefit is huge. Maybe not ideal, but its much better than most.

At least they are using someone that is strong, maybe not the best. But strong. I mean I don't knonw too many world class bodybuilders but I know a few that won regional comps, They all use machines and are weaker than I am if in a non ideal position to do things. They simply cannot apply their body to movementns that aren't on a machine.

I think net win for athleticism in this country and a net win for getting people at least looking if not moving in the right direction. I see so many f'ing football gyms (football has the most HS athletes so its important) that have leg extension Machines and bow down to them. As someonen thats maxed manny machines like that out.... and been none the better for it. I think I would probably have gotten the idea from a show like this that I need more research due to being clueless.

Seriously I thought ti was a big deal on an nautilus machine that I could max out the tri cept extension..... for sets of 16. From what I understand this show is more intelligent than that.

now the problem is that you assume there isn't a relationship between aesthetics and strength when there absolutely is. Is it as drastic as the bb world makes it out to be, with the need to have massive amounts of definition and these huge bulging muscles? Not really, but it is certainly there.

This...

Shit, theyre nowhere near as different as people here would like to believe.

now the problem is that you assume there isn't a relationship between aesthetics and strength when there absolutely is. Is it as drastic as the bb world makes it out to be, with the need to have massive amounts of definition and these huge bulging muscles? Not really, but it is certainly there.

It's is and it isn't. Absolutely a powerlifter will have a certain degree of hypertrophy, and, if the amount of bodyfat is relatively low, might even look Jakt. And a background in powerlifting has allowed for many people to succesfully transition into bodybuilding.

On the other hand, the muscle groups where a powerlifter gains the most muscle mass are not necessarily what a bodybuilder would consider symmetrical, nor what the average person would conisder aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, a powerlifter in a lower weight category might be incredibly strong, but appear as an average, relatively atheletic person. And in the higher weight classes may appear to be someone who's got a bit of muscle along with some fat.

In fact, one of the guys, a bouncer, who sometimes works out at the same gym as me told this story: He's at work, and some dumbass bumps into another customer, the other customer happens to be a SHW powerlifter, with a over 1000kg total...and the dumbass wants to start something, thinking he's just some fat guy. So the bouncer tells the dumbass to take a good look at him first...so the dumbass says meakly "....he's a really big guy"...Point being, the average dumbass may be next to the strongest person they've ever met and not even know it.

That's because this isn't a bodybuilding forum. Its a functional strength for combat sports forum. Go talk about 5 day splits NO explode, and your "pump" some place else. Not that its the worst thing ever, just any bodybuilding thread is essentially off-topic. people on here are more obsessed with being a good lifter than a good athlete/fighter as it is but body builders while knowledgable, and driven lift for an entirely differnt reason than we do...vanity. peacocks lifting so they can strut their feathers and do their curls for the girls. I am with mark rippetoe on this one I guess.

Bodybuilding is just as much a sport as powerlifting, powerlifting, mma, or any other sport. I agree with you that I can't pretty boys in the gym who only want to look pretty for the girls, but you can't confuse those with bodybuilders, they are just douchebags.

Bodybuilding is just as much a sport as powerlifting, powerlifting, mma, or any other sport. I agree with you that I can't pretty boys in the gym who only want to look pretty for the girls, but you can't confuse those with bodybuilders, they are just douchebags.

I do not consider bodybuilding a sport. Sure it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but they are judged aesthetically, not on how they perform physically.

I do not consider bodybuilding a sport. Sure it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but they are judged aesthetically, not on how they perform physically.

I disagree. There are set criterion for the aesthetics, but a lot of sports have this. Gymnastics doesn't have a set 'goal', per se. You don't score points based on lifting pounds or getting a ball in a goal. Yet gymnasts are incredible athletes.

I disagree. There are set criterion for the aesthetics, but a lot of sports have this. Gymnastics doesn't have a set 'goal', per se. You don't score points based on lifting pounds or getting a ball in a goal. Yet gymnasts are incredible athletes.

It's a beauty contest. There is no display of physical skill nor a way to objectively define a winner. It may be a bit murkier when it comes to things such as gymnastics, but they are still judged on their execution of various gymnastic skills.

Due to having a girlfriend I've watched gymnastics against my will, and I don't know shit about the sport but even I can spot a perfect landing or flawless floor routine and I can usually see when they make mistakes as well. I believe in gymnastics certain mistakes cause you certain point deductions and only a portion of the score is due to aesthetics on things like the floor routine etc.

Bodybuilding has zero performance markers, it's entirely left up to the aestetic sense of the judges and therefore isn't a sport. It's a pageant.

Due to having a girlfriend I've watched gymnastics against my will, and I don't know shit about the sport but even I can spot a perfect landing or flawless floor routine and I can usually see when they make mistakes as well. I believe in gymnastics certain mistakes cause you certain point deductions and only a portion of the score is due to aesthetics on things like the floor routine etc.

Bodybuilding has zero performance markers, it's entirely left up to the aestetic sense of the judges and therefore isn't a sport. It's a pageant.

For the record, I am not a bodybuilder. But I do think that there are certain defined performance markers. But I do see the point you are presenting. It certainly isn't within the realm of what is usually considered athletic or sport.

IMO there is a range.
Numerics
Time Sports (swim, track, skiing lonng distance ice skating)/Number (powerlifting
Direct competition sports (I'm assuming no judges decisions and fair and impartial judging)
MMA(TKO/submission only)/basketball/football/wrestling(by pin)short distance ice skating (they can cut eachother off)
Spectacle sports
Gymnastics/Figure skating/diving(why I think swimming and diving do not belong together all they have in common is water)
Spectacles
Bodybuilding/Beauty Contests

IMO just because some bodybuiilders lift intelligently and strongly has no bearing on the ACTIVITY OF BODYBUILDING. Just like my friend who spent 2 years self-supporting winning beauty contests... she does triathlons (yes she belongs in the girls and ass thread) just because she runs like a motherfucker doesn't make a beauty contest an athletic event. Cali is an athlete, the guy in this show is an athlete, that has no bearing on their competition.

Back