Movies Movie News and Notes

Official Trailer for DON'T LOOK UP Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Evans, Timothee Chalamet, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett and Jonah Hill

"Don't Look Up" tells the story of two low-level astronomers who must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet Earth. Written and Directed by Adam McKay.

Official Trailer for Pixar's TURNING RED Introduces Mei Who Transforms Into a Big Red Panda

Disney and Pixar’s “Turning Red” introduces Mei Lee (voice of Rosalie Chiang), a confident, dorky 13-year-old torn between staying her mother’s dutiful daughter and the chaos of adolescence. Her protective, if not slightly overbearing mother, Ming (voice of Sandra Oh), is never far from her daughter—an unfortunate reality for the teenager. And as if changes to her interests, relationships and body weren’t enough, whenever she gets too excited (which is practically ALWAYS), she “poofs” into a giant red panda! Directed by Academy Award® winner Domee Shi (Pixar short “Bao”) and produced by Lindsey Collins, “Turning Red" releases on March 11, 2022.

Jesus Christ. Can't Hollywood just accept that a movie sucked without shitting on the general public for not watching it?

Jesus Christ. Can't Hollywood just accept that a movie sucked without shitting on the general public for not watching it?

This is definitely a case of Scott being an out of touch old bastard, but this specific movie has been decently reviewed by both critics and audiences.
RT: All Critics 7.3/10 (85%), Audience 4/5 (81%)
MC: Metascore 67/100, 7.1/10 User Score.
IMDb: 7.7/10
It seems far more likely that people didn't want to go out in the middle of a resurging pandemic to go watch a dour period film with ridiculous haircuts and rape as its central subject. But Scott is lost up his own ass and doesn't seem to realize that Gladiator came out more than 20 years ago and in the meantime garbage like Robin Hood, Exodus: Gods and Kings, The Counselor, and Alien Covenant have largely undermined his clout.

This is definitely a case of Scott being an out of touch old bastard, but this specific movie has been decently reviewed by both critics and audiences.
It seems far more likely that people didn't want to go out in the middle of a resurging pandemic to go watch a dour period film with ridiculous haircuts and rape as its central subject. But Scott is lost up his own ass and doesn't seem to realize that Gladiator came out more than 20 years ago and in the meantime garbage like Robin Hood, Exodus: Gods and Kings, The Counselor, and Alien Covenant have largely undermined his clout.

I barely saw any advertising for it, and the one commercial I did see didn't move me.

I generally like Scott's movies, so I was going to watch it once it was available on streaming regardless of how it was reviewed.

Legit LOL @ him complaining about how young people wouldn't see his movie because they spend too much time on Facebook though.

I heard that dune actually did well in theaters despite it also being released on streaming

I barely saw any advertising for it, and the one commercial I did see didn't move me.

I generally like Scott's movies, so I was going to watch it once it was available on streaming regardless of how it was reviewed.

Legit LOL @ him complaining about how young people wouldn't see his movie because they spend too much time on Facebook though.
It is double funny because Millenials are not young people really anymore. Most have kids and such now.

Sounds like a good movie and one I want to see but I never thought it'd do big numbers. Not sure why he would.

Official Trailer for DON'T LOOK UP Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Evans, Timothee Chalamet, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett and Jonah Hill

"Don't Look Up" tells the story of two low-level astronomers who must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet Earth. Written and Directed by Adam McKay.

Reminds me of Idiocracy.

I wonder if electrolytes are used to melt the comet

Nicolas Cage to Play Dracula in Universal's Monster Movie RENFIELD Starring Nicholas Hoult

P74kte4.jpg

Nicolas Cage has made a career of biting into his roles with seemingly reckless abandon, even as he strayed further and further from studio moviemaking and sunk his teeth into indie cinema.

Now, in a deal sealed with a vampire’s kiss, Cage is returning to a big-studio movie and will play the meaty role of Dracula in Universal Pictures’ monster movie Renfield.

Nicholas Hoult is starring as the titular character, the vampire count’s infamous acolyte and henchman, in the feature directed by Chris McKay, the helmer behind Amazon’s The Tomorrow War and The Lego Batman Movie.

McKay and Robert Kirkman are producing along with David Alpert, Bryan Furst and Sean Furst. McKay’s producing partner, Samantha Nisenboim, is exec producing.

The character of Renfield originated in Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula as a patient in an asylum obsessed with drinking blood, deluded into thinking he will find immortality. He bows at the feet of Dracula, who, in the very definition of toxic work environments and co-dependent relationships, feeds him insects and rats and dangles everlasting life in front of him.

It is unclear how Renfield takes on the dynamic as plot details are being kept in the coffin, but the project is described as a modern-day adventure story that is comedic in tone.

Ryan Ridley, known for Fox’s Ghosted and Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty, penned the script based on an original story outline from Kirkman.

Cage established himself as an acting talent with 1980s classics such as Moonstruck and Raising Arizona before winning an Oscar for 1995’s Leaving Las Vegas and becoming one of the biggest movie stars in the world. He went on to lead a long string of blockbusters hits such as The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and National Treasure. He scored a second Oscar nomination for his performance in 2002’s Adaptation.

His last major studio movie was 2011’s Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, and since then he has starred in numerous indies, many indulgently quirky and some downright esoteric.

But seeds of a comeback and renaissance were planted when Lionsgate bought and then made The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, in which Cage plays an actor named Nic Cage who is trying to navigate the paths of indie and studio moviemaking while also acting as a CIA informant ensconced in a drug lord’s jungle compound. Buzz about the movie, which is in the test screening phase ahead of an April 2022 release, has been swirling around in executive circles for months, with many calling it a big swing for the actor and studio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-dracula-movie-universal-renfield-1235055003/

Nicolas Cage to Play Dracula in Universal's Monster Movie RENFIELD Starring Nicholas Hoult

P74kte4.jpg

Nicolas Cage has made a career of biting into his roles with seemingly reckless abandon, even as he strayed further and further from studio moviemaking and sunk his teeth into indie cinema.

Now, in a deal sealed with a vampire’s kiss, Cage is returning to a big-studio movie and will play the meaty role of Dracula in Universal Pictures’ monster movie Renfield.

Nicholas Hoult is starring as the titular character, the vampire count’s infamous acolyte and henchman, in the feature directed by Chris McKay, the helmer behind Amazon’s The Tomorrow War and The Lego Batman Movie.

McKay and Robert Kirkman are producing along with David Alpert, Bryan Furst and Sean Furst. McKay’s producing partner, Samantha Nisenboim, is exec producing.

The character of Renfield originated in Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula as a patient in an asylum obsessed with drinking blood, deluded into thinking he will find immortality. He bows at the feet of Dracula, who, in the very definition of toxic work environments and co-dependent relationships, feeds him insects and rats and dangles everlasting life in front of him.

It is unclear how Renfield takes on the dynamic as plot details are being kept in the coffin, but the project is described as a modern-day adventure story that is comedic in tone.

Ryan Ridley, known for Fox’s Ghosted and Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty, penned the script based on an original story outline from Kirkman.

Cage established himself as an acting talent with 1980s classics such as Moonstruck and Raising Arizona before winning an Oscar for 1995’s Leaving Las Vegas and becoming one of the biggest movie stars in the world. He went on to lead a long string of blockbusters hits such as The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and National Treasure. He scored a second Oscar nomination for his performance in 2002’s Adaptation.

His last major studio movie was 2011’s Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, and since then he has starred in numerous indies, many indulgently quirky and some downright esoteric.

But seeds of a comeback and renaissance were planted when Lionsgate bought and then made The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, in which Cage plays an actor named Nic Cage who is trying to navigate the paths of indie and studio moviemaking while also acting as a CIA informant ensconced in a drug lord’s jungle compound. Buzz about the movie, which is in the test screening phase ahead of an April 2022 release, has been swirling around in executive circles for months, with many calling it a big swing for the actor and studio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-dracula-movie-universal-renfield-1235055003/
The last Universal monsterverse movie was The Mummy with Tom Cruise, and was one of the worst big budget films I have ever seen.

Wonder if this can jump that low bar.

The last Universal monsterverse movie was The Mummy with Tom Cruise, and was one of the worst big budget films I have ever seen.

Wonder if this can jump that low bar.

There's a mummy movie with Tom cruise? Wow that musta bombed hard, I don't remember that at all.

First Look at SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Reunites Miles and Gwen

Miles Morales’ story and the #SpiderVerse web expands. Take a first look at Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One). Exclusively in movie theaters October 2022.

First Look at SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Reunites Miles and Gwen

Miles Morales’ story and the #SpiderVerse web expands. Take a first look at Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One). Exclusively in movie theaters October 2022.

Did they use 3d in the 1st one? I haven't seen it yet and know I should.

SHANG-CHI Sequel Officially in the Works from Marvel Studios with Destin Daniel Cretton Returning to Write and Direct

Shang-Chi-and-the-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings-easter-eggs-hidden-details.jpg

A sequel to Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is officially on the way with Destin Daniel Cretton returning to direct and write. He’s also in development on a Marvel series for Disney Plus.

Cretton has signed an exclusive multi-year overall deal with Marvel Studios and Hulu’s Onyx Collective. The new deal will allow Cretton to develop TV projects for both Marvel Studios on Disney Plus and the Onyx Collective for Hulu and other platforms.

Shang-Chi released over Labor Day weekend and currently is the highest-grossing film at the domestic box office with $224.5 million. The film made history for the Marvel Cinematic Universe as the first to feature an Asian lead and mostly Asian cast, which included Simu Liu, Michelle Yeoh, Awkwafina and Tony Leung. At the worldwide box office, the film has made $431.9 million so far and stands as the eighth highest-grossing film.

“Destin is an amazing collaborator who brought a unique perspective and skill to ‘Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.’ We had a fantastic time working together on the film and he has so many intriguing ideas for stories to bring to life on Disney Plus, so we’re thrilled to expand our relationship with him and can’t wait to get started,” said Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in a statement.

Not much is known about Cretton’s Marvel series on Disney Plus, but sources tell Variety it is a comedy.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/shang-chi-sequel-marvel-1235127253/

First Trailer for SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 Introduces Knuckles and Tails

Back