Movie News and Notes

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Andy Serkis in Talks with Sony to Potentially Direct VENOM Sequel

[​IMG]

ndy Serkis is in the mix to tackle Sony's Venom sequel, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

But Serkis, who is known for his critically acclaimed and beloved work in the motion capture space as well as a turn as a villain in Black Panther, is not up for acting work in the project. Rather, he is being looked at as a potential director for the sequel to the 2018 hit that starred Tom Hardy as a journalist who joins with an alien symbiote.

Ruben Fleischer helmed the 2018 movie but is not returning. Serkis flew to Los Angeles for meetings set by Sony brass earlier this week. He is one of several filmmakers in the mix, sources say, as Sony carefully weighs who will direct the follow-up to a movie that made $856 million at the global box office.

Sony wants the project before cameras in November.

Serkis is known for his pioneering motion capture and performance capture acting work and rose to fame by portraying Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy from 2002 to 2004. He reteamed with Jackson for The Hobbittrilogy (2012-14), where he got experience with second unit directing, which he'd parlay into his directorial debut, the 2017 drama Breathe. He also helmed last year's non-Disney take on the Rudyard Kipling stories Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, which ended up on Netflix after being made at Warner Bros. His résumé tees him up for a movie such as Venom 2, which will be effects heavy and mix DG and performance capture technology.

Kelly Marcel wrote the script for the sequel to the movie that also starred Michelle Williams and featured a last-minute cameo by Woody Harrelson as chief Venom villain Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-mix-direct-sequel-1226683

2. Dragonlordxxxxx

3. Dragonlordxxxxx

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley to Direct DUNGEONS & DRAGONS for Paramount

[​IMG]

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley — the duo behind New Line's sleeper hit Game Night — are in talks to direct the long-gestating Dungeons & Dragons movie for Paramount.

Goldstein and Daley, who recently exited Warner Bros.' stand-alone Flash movie, will be replacing Lego Batman director Chris McKay, who was previously attached to direct and is now set for Chris Pratt starrer Ghost Draft.

The role-playing game from Hasbro was previously adapted by New Line in 2000 for a film starring Jeremy Irons. In recent years, the property has been at the center of a legal battle over its film rights, with a 2015 settlement appearing to have paved the way for Warner Bros. to make a movie that at one time had Ansel Elgort in early talks to star. However, the rights eventually left Warners for Paramount, which has a production and distribution deal with Hasbro.

Michael Gilio will pen the screenplay. Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis are producing for AllSpark Pictures, Hasbro's movie arm.

Goldstein and Daley were also behind the screenplays for Spider-Man: Homecoming and Horrible Bosses.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...jonathan-goldstein-john-francis-daley-1228032

Jackonfire likes this.
  4. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Not sure if that'll be actual fantasy or around the board game. If it's actual fantasy I hope they make it a little more adult than DND typically is thought of.

5. Dragonlordxxxxx

First Teaser Trailer for Martin Scorsese's New Gangster Pic THE IRISHMAN

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci star in Martin Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN, an epic saga of organized crime in post-war America told through the eyes of World War II veteran Frank Sheeran, a hustler and hitman who worked alongside some of the most notorious figures of the 20th Century. Spanning decades, the film chronicles one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in American history, the disappearance of legendary union boss Jimmy Hoffa, and offers a monumental journey through the hidden corridors of organized crime: its inner workings, rivalries and connections to mainstream politics.

Jackonfire likes this.
  6. Dragonlordxxxxx

Lupita Nyong'o Battles the Undead in Zombie Comedy LITTLE MONSTERS Trailer

7. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

holy shit, I just found out about this.

Thankfully all those moments aren't lost... like tears in rain
    [​IMG]

RIP

fungi and Dragonlordxxxxx like this.
  8. PRIDEWASBETTER

PRIDEWASBETTER Whatever it takes Staff Member Senior Moderator

9. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Red Belt

10. Dragonlordxxxxx

Trailer for Sam Mendes' World War I Epic 1917 Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth

Sam Mendes, the Oscar®-winning director of Skyfall, Spectre and American Beauty, brings his singular vision to his World War I epic, 1917. At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay) and Blake (Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them.

11. Anung Un Rama

I've been so into WWI since listening to Dan Carlin's podcast, Blueprint for Armageddon. Amazing stuff; highly recommended.

Monkadelic likes this.
  12. Anung Un Rama

"If you fail, it will be a massacre".
    Pretty much every minute of every day of that war was a massacre.

13. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Too many pots on the stove.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

No Hobbs and Shaw thread? I couldn’t find it. What a cool, suspend all belief, funny as fuck movie.

It gets a 8/10 from me. It just mashed the accelerator from start to finish.

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  14. Dragonlordxxxxx

15. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Too many pots on the stove.

16. Dragonlordxxxxx

17. fonzob1

fonzob1 Silver Belt

Looks interesting. The direction style looks like its a "throwback." I am particularly interested in seeing Robert Pattison in a role that isn't a twilight vampire. It might give you an idea of whether or not he really has the right stuff to pull off Bruce Wayne/Batman.

18. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Have you watched that Peter Jackson documentary they shall not grow old or whatever it's called. I heard it was amazing and am bummed I didnt see it in theaters but I'm stoked to see it still. I'll definitely watch this movie too I dont really have a ww1 movie I'm a big fan of.

19. El Chimpo

El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

He can

Dude can act

20. fingercuffs

fingercuffs Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

I am dreading that. Batman's so damned important to me I'm considering not even watching it.