Movies Movie News and Notes

Captain Marvel Actress Gemma Chan Joins the Cast of Marvel's THE ETERNALS

gcTAprr.jpg

Crazy Rich Asians star Gemma Chan is in talks to join Marvel's The Eternals sources tell Variety. Chan would join previously announced cast members Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani.

Earlier this year, Chan portrayed Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel, but its unknown if she will be playing the same role in The Eternals. Some sources have indicated that her part in The Eternals would be a completely different role, which if true, would mark one of the first times a star will have played two different characters in the same cinematic universe.

Created by Jack Kirby in 1976, the comic book is set millions of years in the past, when the cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans to create super-powered individuals known as the Eternals, along with the villainous Deviants. The two groups battled each other throughout history. The Eternals also warred with Greek, Roman and Norse deities before leaving Earth to explore the stars.

The Eternals will be the 25th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s set to hit theaters Nov. 6, 2020.

Chloe Zhao, whose credits include The Rider and Songs My Brothers Taught Me, is directing The Eternals from a script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige will produce.

Outside of Captain Marvel, Chan was a scene-stealer in Warner Bros.’ breakout hit Crazy Rich Asians. She was also seen in the Focus drama Mary Queen of Scots with Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/gemma-chan-eternals-marvel-1203290315/

Andy Serkis Confirmed to Direct Sony's VENOM Sequel Starring Tom Hardy

0xKhgp5.jpg

Andy Serkis is officially stepping into Venom's goo. The filmmaker has closed a deal to direct Venom 2, Sony's sequel to the 2018 film that grossed $856 million at the global box office. The sequel, part of the company's stable of Spider-Man related and Marvel-centric characters, will once again star Tom Hardy as the journalist who joins with an alien symbiote.

Serkis flew to Los Angeles the week of July 22 to meet with Sony brass on the project, and was one of several filmmakers in the mix for the job. This will be Serkis' third directorial effort, after the 2017 drama Breathe and last year's non-Disney take on the Rudyard Kipling stories, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, which ended up on Netflix after being made at Warner Bros.

Serkis rose to fame for his motion capture and performance capture acting work as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy from 2002 to 2004. He cut his teeth with second unit directing by reteaming with Jackson for The Hobbit trilogy (2012-14). He played the villain Snoke in the recent Star Warsfilms, as well as bad guy Klaw in Marvel Studios' Black Panther. His expertise with CG and performance capture technology is one of the factors that landed him the Venom 2 gig.

Kelly Marcel wrote the script for Venom 2. Ruben Fleischer helmed 2018's Venom, which starred Michelle Williams and featured a last-minute cameo by Woody Harrelson as chief Venom villain Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage. Serkis previously worked with Harrelson on 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-direct-1228724

I am dreading that. Batman's so damned important to me I'm considering not even watching it.
People said the same thing about Michael Keaton though, and most people regard him as the best Batman today. Pattinson might surprise us. He needs to pick up some muscle mass though.

People said the same thing about Michael Keaton though, and most people regard him as the best Batman today. Pattinson might surprise us. He needs to pick up some muscle mass though.
Ha. Keaton playing Batman, the only reason I walked out of the cinema was to buy another ticket to go see it straight after. He was excellent.
I'm old as dirt so seeing an aging Batfleck was damned near perfect for me.

Ha. Keaton playing Batman, the only reason I walked out of the cinema was to buy another ticket to go see it straight after. He was excellent.
I'm old as dirt so seeing an aging Batfleck was damned near perfect for me.
LOL I was just thinking about you yesterday. Where's my Weezie? Hope you're doing okey.

Wesley Snipes, James Earl Jones, Leslie Jones and More Join COMING TO AMERICA Sequel

Saturday Night Live favorite Leslie Jones and If Beale Street Could Talk star Kiki Layne are boarding Paramount's sequel to Coming to America. Jones is in negotiations, while Layne is set to join Eddie Murphy in the project, titled Coming 2 America.

James Earl Jones will be reprising his role as King Jaffe Joffer in the sequel, Deadline has learned. In addition 5x Grammy nominated performer Rick Ross has joined, with Paul Bates returning as Oha, Prince Akeem’s stiff-upper-lipped manservant and bodyguard.

Craig Brewer, who is currently working with Murphy on the Netflix movie Dolemite Is My Name, is helming the follow-up to the 1988 comedy, which is set to start shooting later this month.

The original film saw Murphy play Prince Akeem, a spoiled prince from the fictional African nation of Zamunda, who arrives in Queens, New York, and in undercover fashion gets a job at a McDonald’s knockoff while trying to find a wife.

The new story sees Akeem, now set to become king, discovering he has a son he never knew about, a street-savvy Queens native named Lavelle. Honoring his father's dying wish to groom his son as a new crowned prince, Akeem must once again return to America.

Wesley Snipes is already on board, while Arsenio Hall is returning as Akeem's right-hand man. Also returning is James Earl Jones as Akkem's father.

Jones' role is being kept secret, while Layne will play Akeem's daughter, burdened with feeling like she is the son her father never had.

Murphy is producing the pic, which is slated for an Dec. 18, 2020, release, along with Kevin Misher and Kenya Barris.

Jones, who is repped by CAA, Integral and Hansen Jacobson, will next be in theaters with The Angry Birds Movie 2, which is due out Aug. 16.

Since her breakthrough in Beale Street, Layne appeared in the sci-fi thriller Captive State and is shooting a leading role opposite Charlize Theron in The Old Guard, the adaptation of a Greg Rucka comic book from Skydance and Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leslie-jones-kiki-layne-joining-coming-america-sequel-1228396

Wesley Snipes, James Earl Jones, Leslie Jones and More Join COMING TO AMERICA Sequel

Saturday Night Live favorite Leslie Jones and If Beale Street Could Talk star Kiki Layne are boarding Paramount's sequel to Coming to America. Jones is in negotiations, while Layne is set to join Eddie Murphy in the project, titled Coming 2 America.

James Earl Jones will be reprising his role as King Jaffe Joffer in the sequel, Deadline has learned. In addition 5x Grammy nominated performer Rick Ross has joined, with Paul Bates returning as Oha, Prince Akeem’s stiff-upper-lipped manservant and bodyguard.

Craig Brewer, who is currently working with Murphy on the Netflix movie Dolemite Is My Name, is helming the follow-up to the 1988 comedy, which is set to start shooting later this month.

The original film saw Murphy play Prince Akeem, a spoiled prince from the fictional African nation of Zamunda, who arrives in Queens, New York, and in undercover fashion gets a job at a McDonald’s knockoff while trying to find a wife.

The new story sees Akeem, now set to become king, discovering he has a son he never knew about, a street-savvy Queens native named Lavelle. Honoring his father's dying wish to groom his son as a new crowned prince, Akeem must once again return to America.

Wesley Snipes is already on board, while Arsenio Hall is returning as Akeem's right-hand man. Also returning is James Earl Jones as Akkem's father.

Jones' role is being kept secret, while Layne will play Akeem's daughter, burdened with feeling like she is the son her father never had.

Murphy is producing the pic, which is slated for an Dec. 18, 2020, release, along with Kevin Misher and Kenya Barris.

Jones, who is repped by CAA, Integral and Hansen Jacobson, will next be in theaters with The Angry Birds Movie 2, which is due out Aug. 16.

Since her breakthrough in Beale Street, Layne appeared in the sci-fi thriller Captive State and is shooting a leading role opposite Charlize Theron in The Old Guard, the adaptation of a Greg Rucka comic book from Skydance and Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leslie-jones-kiki-layne-joining-coming-america-sequel-1228396
Looking forward to this.

Yeah, but think how fucking woke it's gonna be.
Eddie murphy?? Maybe not. If he's in control, he won't gaf and will skewer everybody.

Come on Eddie; we believe in you.

Is Dragonlordxxxxx going to review 'ready or not?'

I was hoping.

Crazy Rich Asians Breakout Henry Golding to Star in G.I. Joe Spinoff SNAKE EYES

5K7fd8m.jpg

Paramount has found its ninja warrior. Crazy Rich Asians breakout Henry Golding is in negotiations to star in Snake Eyes, a G.I. Joe spinoff centered on the popular commando from Paramount in partnership with Skydance, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Robert Schwentke, who helmed two installments of the Divergentfranchise, is directing the action project that has Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner among the producers.

Snake Eyes is the ninja commando that first appeared in the 1980s as part of Hasbro and Marvel Comics’ relaunch of the toyline, dubbed G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

The character, who dressed in all black, never revealed his face and never spoke, stood out among the military anti-terrorist group and quickly established himself as the most popular. He sometimes carried out solo missions with his pet wolf, Timber while his archenemy is Storm Shadow, a ninja who is also his blood brother.

Paramount has made two G.I. Joe movies — 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013’s G.I Joe: Retaliation — with acrobatic actor Ray Park playing Snake Eyes in both.

Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the script for the solo installment, which is said to center on Snake Eyes seeking revenge for his father’s death by joining ninja clan, in process finding acceptance.

Golding made his feature debut portraying rich boy Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians, which opened just one year ago. In that short time, he parlayed that into leading roles in romantic comedy Last Christmas, with Emilia Clarke and Emma Thompson, and Guy Ritchie’s crime thriller The Gentlemen, which stars Matthew McConaughey. He also launched his own production company, Long House Productions.

With his trajectory moving as fast as an arcing shuriken, Golding's nabbing of Snake Eyes marks the actor’s first starring role in a studio feature, a franchise one at that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...olding-star-gi-joe-spinoff-snake-eyes-1231492

Crazy Rich Asians Breakout Henry Golding to Star in G.I. Joe Spinoff SNAKE EYES

5K7fd8m.jpg

Paramount has found its ninja warrior. Crazy Rich Asians breakout Henry Golding is in negotiations to star in Snake Eyes, a G.I. Joe spinoff centered on the popular commando from Paramount in partnership with Skydance, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Robert Schwentke, who helmed two installments of the Divergentfranchise, is directing the action project that has Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner among the producers.

Snake Eyes is the ninja commando that first appeared in the 1980s as part of Hasbro and Marvel Comics’ relaunch of the toyline, dubbed G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

The character, who dressed in all black, never revealed his face and never spoke, stood out among the military anti-terrorist group and quickly established himself as the most popular. He sometimes carried out solo missions with his pet wolf, Timber while his archenemy is Storm Shadow, a ninja who is also his blood brother.

Paramount has made two G.I. Joe movies — 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013’s G.I Joe: Retaliation — with acrobatic actor Ray Park playing Snake Eyes in both.

Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the script for the solo installment, which is said to center on Snake Eyes seeking revenge for his father’s death by joining ninja clan, in process finding acceptance.

Golding made his feature debut portraying rich boy Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians, which opened just one year ago. In that short time, he parlayed that into leading roles in romantic comedy Last Christmas, with Emilia Clarke and Emma Thompson, and Guy Ritchie’s crime thriller The Gentlemen, which stars Matthew McConaughey. He also launched his own production company, Long House Productions.

With his trajectory moving as fast as an arcing shuriken, Golding's nabbing of Snake Eyes marks the actor’s first starring role in a studio feature, a franchise one at that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...olding-star-gi-joe-spinoff-snake-eyes-1231492
So, they are making Snake Eyes Asian? He was always a white dude and Storm Shadow was the Asian. Inconsistency!

Back