Movies Movie News and Notes

First International Trailer for THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN

Jose Padilha to Direct Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Movie DEAD OR ALIVE Centering on Mitsuyo Maeda and Rickson Gracie

qHC8fkL.jpg

Brazilian jiu-jitsu will get its origin story told by José Padilha, the filmmaker behind the police thriller Elite Squad and Netflix’s crime drama Narcos.

Padilha will direct Dead or Alive, being made by Netflix, and will write the script with Peter Maguire. Padilha will also produce the period feature with Greg Silverman and his Stampede banner.

Dead or Alive centers on two men, Mitsuyo Maeda and Rickson Gracie as the story tells an epic tale that stretches from 1800-era Japan to present day US and Japan as it focuses on two men from vastly different worlds who developed and spread a mixed martial art that became known as Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Maeda was a sort of martial arts ambassador who travelled from Japan to the Americas to showcase the fighting art, arriving in Brazil via a circus in 1914. At one demonstration he met Carlos Gracie, with the two becoming master and student. Gracie later taught his brothers, eventually creating a family dynasty of MMA practitioners and champions that lasts to this day. Rickson Gracie, Carlos Gracie's nephew, is a now-retired fighter who won numerous champions and is an inductee to the MMA Hall of Fame.

"This is a film with universal appeal with remarkable real-life characters,” said Silverman in a statement. “Rickson Gracie is one of the greatest fighters of all time and we are honored to share his story.”

He added, “I have been an admirer of José’s for years, and we are honored he has chosen Stampede to collaborate with on Dead or Alive, and to share it with Netflix’s global audience.”

Padilha is the Brazilian director who found international acclaim with his Elite Squad movies. He directed the 2014 remake of Robocop before going on to being an executive producer and director of Narcos, the gritty and acclaimed true-life drug cartel crime drama made by Netflix.

The deal for Dead or Alive deepens Padilha’s ties to Netflix as he is also the co-creator of the streamer’s Brazilian political crime drama O Mecanismo, which is set to launch its second season.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ng-netflix-jiu-jitsu-movie-dead-alive-1181926

Fincher's WWZ2 ist kaput. Little chance of it ambulating its way back too.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Gemma Arterton Joins Matthew Vaughn's KINGSMAN: THE GREAT GAME

70X3TTm.jpg

Matthew Vaughn’s long-running film relationship with comic book creator Mark Millar began with 2010’s Kick-Ass – and now it’s about to come full-circle, with Dave ‘Kick-Ass’ Lizewski himself about to join the Kingsman universe. Actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson has reportedly joined the cast of Kingsman: The Great Game – a spin-off set in the early 20th century, exploring the origins of the secret spy organisation. His role remains under wraps, but he’s joining the likes of Charles Dance, Daniel Bruhl and Ralph Fiennes in the cast.

Taylor-Johnson isn’t the only fresh addition to the film, with Gemma Arterton also joining the cast. Shooting has begun, in order to get the film ready for release this November – sneaking into the release date vacated by Bond 25. Being set around the time of World War I, The Great Game won’t star Taron Egerton as Eggsy – though the star is set to return for a concluding chapter of the main Kingsman storyline.

“I would like the third one to be better received than the second one was,” Egerton told the Empire Podcast last year. “I felt we got a bit of an unfair kicking if I'm totally honest. I think in some respects it was [difficult] because I just gave everything to it, and then it was so quickly torn down, that I think I did feel a bit of a sting. I think in some respects it probably wasn't quite as well put-together a film as the first one, but it certainly wasn't a bad film. And when we got this real kicking- I think what I would like to happen is for us to do a third one and for it to feel like a worthy third instalment to what has been a great part of my life.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/kingsman-great-game-adds-aaron-taylor-johnson/

O....K.... so Chucky is now just a robot gone rogue? Lame.
Yup

Heard theres a tv series coming tho..from the actual creator

A.i. chucky would get thrown in water and that would be that

Supernatural chucky is a whole different beast

Yup

Heard theres a tv series coming tho..from the actual creator

A.i. chucky would get thrown in water and that would be that

Supernatural chucky is a whole different beast

I get that this is a more contemporary idea...but Chucky was iconic because of his sadistic personality. This Chucky is basically Alexa with a knife.

We’ll see maybe there is more to it and he will have a personality, but my interest just plummeted.

I get that this is a more contemporary idea...but Chucky was iconic because of his sadistic personality. This Chucky is basically Alexa with a knife.

We’ll see maybe there is more to it and he will have a personality, but my interest just plummeted.
A killer robot has been done..even if this is a doll

Killer doll with serial killer soul..that was different

Back