Most disappointing derailed hype train that you believed in?

o malley was the most destructive from getting loved by the mma community to getting laughed at
for his excuses getting knocked out

Almost forgot: I was riding the Travis Wiuff hype train. He was on a 19-fight winning streak when he came to the UFC and got submitted by Babalu.

WaterloggedWellwornConey-size_restricted.gif

he was a dark horse for this Dream WW Tourney, and upset Hayato Sakurai,

i loved checking out this guys spinning shit, and it looks like he cuts a couple ounces to 170

Damn, haven’t thought about this dude in a while

Brandon Thatch. I'm usually a wait and see kind of guy but I thought this dude was a future elite. His style looked vicious and fluid in his first two fights. Turns out his grappling was not good at all and his striking didn't work against more athletic guys like Nelson and Bendo.

Hioki was one too. I was no Legit_#1_FW but I thought he would contend for the belt at least. Turns out that after what was already a ten year career he'd already peaked during + his style just not transitioning as well as it could have to unified rules/style he kind of flopped.

Johnny Walkgoat, I still believe tho, Dublin ready Walkgoat is gonna give us a beautiful finish this saturday.

Good choices, but mine is Giblert. For so many years, he was considered as possibly the best LW in the world, but couldn't prove it because he wasn't in the UFC. Then, he comes over and goes 1-6, losing almost all of his fights in dominant fashion. It's a shame, because he always comes off as just a really likable and chill guy.

He came over way too late in his career.

I was convinced that Gray Maynard would wrestlefuck Edgar at UFC 125 and dominate the division for some time. Not a real hype train, but I was really into that idea.

Also, remember how the whole world thought Uriah Hall would be the next big thing after that KO on TUF? I'm surprised that most people aren't naming him. He essentially became a gatekeeper.

It sounds silly but Tank Abbott, I thought he was gonna win the UFC Tournament every time I watched him as a teenager.

He still won the tournaments in my eyes hehe. he might be a bad person but he had the two most entertaining knockouts I've ever seen before or after. It's an anomaly.
Abbott-Nelmark-2.gif

tumblr_nyp5isH3tX1rofocqo1_250.gif

View attachment 799113
For me it would have to be former Bellator LW champion Will Brooks. He was coming off two big wins over Michael Chandler and i could of sworn he was the next UFC LW champion. He came into the UFC and barely beat Ross Pearson before getting finished in his next 3 fights and being released by the UFC and disappearing into irrelevance
Ortega, don't see him winning in the UFC again.

Salty Sean sadly.

Back