Most disappointing derailed hype train that you believed in?

See a few that I was going to post already, so going to post the two I haven't seen (or at least my eyes missed glazing over)

Kid Yamamoto:

HiddenUglyCommabutterfly-max-1mb.gif

Crazy to think his UFC debut was against future GOAT Demetrious Johnson. Couldn't find his groove after that fight.

And second is Ryan LaFlare. The guy was a decision machine, sure. But grappling was really technical and for me, really fun to watch. Was saying this was the guy to watch for a while, but just couldn't keep up as the competition grew stronger. Tried to find a sweet gif of some of his passes, or his switches, but unfortunately only found gifs of him getting slept.
<{you!}>

I still believe in doo ho choi but he got derailed pretty hard. Dude is a killer but his defence was lacking hard

TJ Grant & Chris Holdsworth
both derailed by concussion in training

And second is Ryan LaFlare. The guy was a decision machine, sure. But grappling was really technical and for me, really fun to watch. Was saying this was the guy to watch for a while, but just couldn't keep up as the competition grew stronger. Tried to find a sweet gif of some of his passes, or his switches, but unfortunately only found gifs of him getting slept.
<{you!}>
Don't remember the fight, but I remember when he just started in the UFC he showcased some beautiful sweeps from his back. I really thought his BJJ was top tier, but that didn't hold up well against top competition. And yeah, the fact that he had a 0% finishing rate didn't help.

WaterloggedWellwornConey-size_restricted.gif

he was a dark horse for this Dream WW Tourney, and upset Hayato Sakurai,

i loved checking out this guys spinning shit, and it looks like he cuts a couple ounces to 170

for some reason this fight reminds me of piano volume Lol

images

View attachment 799113
For me it would have to be former Bellator LW champion Will Brooks. He was coming off two big wins over Michael Chandler and i could of sworn he was the next UFC LW champion. He came into the UFC and barely beat Ross Pearson before getting finished in his next 3 fights and being released by the UFC and disappearing into irrelevance

Johnny Walker :(

First he gets TKOed by Corey Anderson of all people. Then he gets wrestlefucked by Krylov of all people.

Travis Browne

I remember watching him dismantle Chad Griggs and thought he looked like the future champ.

Three consecutive first round finishes over Gonzaga, Overeem, and Barnett was also really impressive and got me behind the hype.

Back