Most disappointing derailed hype train that you believed in?

Jason kid. I dont know if he really had hype probably a little and i dont think i thought he would be Champ or maybe in future but hes a scrapper and i thought he would be in the ufc for a long time...kinda sad now hes in bfk last i heard.

Stephen Thompson

He was flying high after his victories over Ellenberger and Hendricks.
thompson-2nd-kick-ellenberger.gif

f248cf7c8499bea734d851d7ad3ddceff877ef3f.gifv

Then he ran into Woodly and hasn't been the same since.
b9472cb5a4bd04363d2b6c5d4d28fc53

Pffffff Wonderboy is a fucking artist. That motherfucker is legit. He might not be the strongest guy, he's not savage enough, but watching his footwork is just magical. Nothing but respect for that dude, plus he's a decent person.

Back to the topic, a while back I thought Makwan would be huge. That didn't work out...

Shabazyan, but to be fair he beat some good guys and is still super young, so i belive he will be at least top 5 some day ( his cardio needs a loot of work though )

Hype is the kiss of death for a young fighter; even more so when they buy into it.

Andrei Arlovski
Cro Cop
Overeem (Ubereem lived up to the hype but post-USADA Overeem has been a major disappointment)

I was fully on the Arlovski hype train. I remember the "Who's next" trailer that played during UFC 52 and I thought that was the coolest. Then he beat Buentello and I thought for sure the pitbull was gonna be a monster HW for years to come. Then he fought Sylvia again and never recovered.

Don't really need to say much about Cro Cop. I was hyped beyond belief for his signing. I was expecting the PRIDE Cro Cop to show up and dominate and easily become the HW Champ. Then he fought Gonzaga and was a tomato can for the rest of his UFC career.

I was fully on the Ubereem hype train, and he delivered big. Then those bastards at USADA happened and Reem hasn't been the same since.

Not sure this guy knows what a hype train derailment is....

Reem made it POST USADA to a title fight where he dropped the champion..... Thats not a derailment..... Thats a natural progression.

Grow up or get off Sherdog.

Good choices, but mine is Giblert. For so many years, he was considered as possibly the best LW in the world, but couldn't prove it because he wasn't in the UFC. Then, he comes over and goes 1-6, losing almost all of his fights in dominant fashion. It's a shame, because he always comes off as just a really likable and chill guy.

I haven't completely lost faith, but MVP fits the script until he redeems himself.
:(

Hype train as in prospect? I say Johnny Walker. Hype train as in top contender and even former champion? I say Johny Hendricks

Jonathan Brookins. Was pretty dominant on TUF.

1. David Terrell - The Soul Assassin. World-class BJJ competitor knocks out Matt Lindland and earns a title shot against Evan Tanner. Gets sonned, then bounces back with a controversial win over Scott Smith and retires.

2. Sokoudjo - Knocked out Lil Nog and Arona with ease in Pride, then joined the UFC and became a victim of the Machida era.

3. Thiago Tavares - Looked like a world beater against Spencer Fisher. Wasn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back