More. More Power.

Somewhere in Germany is a baby Superman, born in Berlin with bulging arm and leg muscles. Not yet 5, he can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do. He has muscles twice the size of other kids his age and half their body fat. DNA testing showed why: The boy has a genetic mutation that boosts muscle growth.

The discovery, reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, represents the first documented human case of such a mutation.

Many scientists believe the find could eventually lead to drugs for treating people with muscular dystrophy and other muscle-destroying conditions. And athletes would almost surely want to get their hands on such a drug and use it like steroids to bulk up.

The boy's mutant DNA segment was found to block production of a protein called myostatin that limits muscle growth. The news comes seven years after researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore created buff ``mighty mice'' by ``turning off'' the gene that directs cells to produce myostatin.

``Now we can say that myostatin acts the same way in humans as in animals,'' said the boy's physician, Dr. Markus Schuelke, a professor in the child neurology department at Charite/University Medical Center Berlin. ``We can apply that knowledge to humans, including trial therapies for muscular dystrophy.''

Given the huge potential market for such drugs, researchers at universities and pharmaceutical companies already are trying to find a way to limit the amount and activity of myostatin in the body. Wyeth has just begun human tests of a genetically engineered antibody designed to neutralize myostatin.

Dr. Lou Kunkel, director of the genomics program at Boston Children's Hospital and professor of pediatrics and genetics at Harvard Medical School, said success is possible within several years.

``Just decreasing this protein by 20, 30, 50 percent can have a profound effect on muscle bulk,'' said Kunkel, who is among the doctors participating in the Wyeth research.

Muscular dystrophy is the world's most common genetic disease. There is no cure and the most common form, Duchenne's, usually kills before adulthood. The few treatments being tried to slow its progression have serious side effects.

Muscle wasting also is common in the elderly and patients with diseases such as cancer and AIDS.

``If you could find a way to block myostatin activity, you might slow the wasting process,'' said Dr. Se-Jin Lee, the Johns Hopkins professor whose team created the ``mighty mice.''

Lee said he believes a myostatin blocker also could suppress fat accumulation and thus thwart the development of diabetes. Lee and Johns Hopkins would receive royalties for any myostatin-blocking drug made by Wyeth.

Dr. Eric Hoffman, director of Children's National Medical Center's Research Center for Genetic Medicine, said he believes a muscular dystrophy cure will be found, but he is unsure whether it will be a myostatin-blocking drug, another treatment or a combination, because about a dozen genes have some effect on muscles.

He said a mystotatin-blocking drug could help other groups of people, including astronauts and others who lose muscle mass during long stints in zero gravity or when immobilized by illness or a broken limb.

Researchers would not disclose the German boy's identity but said he was born to a somewhat muscular mother, a 24-year-old former professional sprinter. Her brother and three other close male relatives all were unusually strong, with one of them a construction worker able to unload heavy curbstones by hand.

In the mother, one copy of the gene is mutated and the other is normal; the boy has two mutated copies. One almost definitely came from his father, but no information about him has been disclosed. The mutation is very rare in people.

The boy is healthy now, but doctors worry he could eventually suffer heart or other health problems.

In the past few years, scientists have seen great potential in myostatin-blocking strategies.

Internet marketers have been hawking ``myostatin-blocking'' supplements to bodybuilders, though doctors say the products are useless and perhaps dangerous.

Some researchers are trying to turn off the myostatin gene in chickens to produce more meat per bird. And several breeds of cattle have natural variations in the gene that, aided by selective breeding, give them far more muscle and

attachment.php

Belgian Blues have the same gene missing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Blue

belgianblue.jpg

ninjajesus i agree with the point your trying to make. But your reasoning and logical are ridiculously flawed.

Since you're so learned in it, tell me which genes affect sprinting speed and how they affect it.

For example. Can you tell me exactly which genes cause my eyes to be blue? You can't, because scientists are still trying to figure out the human genome. Just because you can't cite the genes, does this mean that my eye's are blue because I have the right attitude / upbringing / live near the ocean?

The day someone can tell you exactly which genes affect athletic performance will be the same day people start picking their children out of a catalog.

That being said, I think debating whether genes affect athletic performance is pointless. I may not have the genetic ability to squat 1000, but my goal in the gym is always going to be to lift more weight, regardless of how close I am to my genetic limit.

ninjajesus i agree with the point your trying to make. But your reasoning and logical are ridiculously flawed.

For example. Can you tell me exactly which genes cause my eyes to be blue? You can't, because scientists are still trying to figure out the human genome. Just because you can't cite the genes, does this mean that my eye's are blue because I have the right attitude / upbringing / live near the ocean?

The day someone can tell you exactly which genes affect athletic performance will be the same day people start picking their children out of a catalog.

That being said, I think debating whether genes affect athletic performance is pointless. I may not have the genetic ability to squat 1000, but my goal in the gym is always going to be to lift more weight, regardless of how close I am to my genetic limit.

Ninjajesus is not concerned with answering your questions, young man. You have to answer his. He is off to take a nap now.

yeah Sonny posted while I was typing mine. It'll be hard for him to argue against that lol

yeah Sonny posted while I was typing mine. It'll be hard for him to argue against that lol

The thing is, I get what he's saying about the 'gene' argument being a crutch for lazy people who don't want to train. "I'll never be as fast as that guy because he has better genes, so I'll just sit on my ass and pout."

The thing is, I get what he's saying about the 'gene' argument being a crutch for lazy people who don't want to train. "I'll never be as fast as that guy because he has better genes, so I'll just sit on my ass and pout."

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

QFT. But the fact that he comes off like a prick, with very few good arguments, really is a detriment to what hes trying to say. Had his first post been similar to what Sonny just stated above, life could have gone on perfectly fine for all of us. But I'm preety sure it went something more along the lines of "This is such bullshit...", after which he went on to spew some garbage that he cant beat his fat lazy friend in an arm wrestle, and the only reason can be because his friends arms are shorter!11!! (Yes I'm exagerating)

Quoted from KK's Thread over in D&S

"It's funny though because it's both a ruling factor of everything we do, and yet so many people strive to disprove that very notion. People accept fully that our genes decide things like height, hair color, eye color, propensity for baldness, even taste in mates, but the moment you tell people that genes decide athletic potential they tend to freak out and act as if that's some sort of unfounded notion."

I'm sure he will simply quote something I've said here and then proceed to type in "OMG MAN FUCK OFF YOU'RE DUMB". But in all seriousness, this thread has brought up some neat information.

Look at the cock on that belgian blue. Magnificent!

Wow, I actually just went back to look, because I had missed it the first time ( Yes, im a *** :rolleyes: ). That is one scary weapon.

I'm chiming in late because I just got home but this is interesting to me. I think a good argument to back up mostly everyone here would be professional athletes like Randy Moss who are known for their athleticism, and not exactly known for work ethic.

I guarantee I could workout and train every day for hours upon hours, from age 8 years old and would have NEVER reached the level of athleticism of Randy Moss. He is better genes as far as athletics goes. But, if you combine work ethic with his genes, HOLY SHIT is the only thing you could say.

I guarantee I could workout and train every day for hours upon hours, from age 8 years old and would have NEVER reached the level of athleticism of Randy Moss. He is better genes as far as athletics goes. But, if you combine work ethic with his genes, HOLY SHIT is the only thing you could say.

im not sure about that. its widely accepted that it takes 10 years of training to be successful at the world level. moss probably found out he was a good athlete in high school or junior high. if you trained with a good coach since you were 8 years old, maybe you would have discovered the same thing.

its widely accepted that it takes 10 years of training to be successful at the world level. moss probably found out he was a good athlete in high school or junior high.

Coming from a small place that has many players in pro sports, relatively speaking, I can say it is tons of hard work. Genes play a part, sure, but some of the biggest, most talented kids come from families with no other outstanding athletes, either sibling or parent. I am very familiar with the school sports programs in this area, and the kids are pushed. Hard. Its one of the things that makes this area well-scouted by NBA and NFL. And kids are looked at from tag football onwards, and many are tagged as special from elementary school on- for their size, or a particular talent. Jerry Ball was a player from here. I went to HS with him. Back then, in 11th grade, he was a badass on the field. So when someone finds a talent or size factor in a kid at 5, 8, or 11 years old, that kid is getting trained if he wants it. Best coaches, strength training, you name it. Kendrick Perkins of the Celtics is from here. My wife taught him reading. His way was paved- but even in 7th grade, they knew he had something. So he worked hard. The big challenge is keeping these kids out of trouble so they can develop as athletes. Given that, they grow into these Pro stars.

im not sure about that. its widely accepted that it takes 10 years of training to be successful at the world level. moss probably found out he was a good athlete in high school or junior high. if you trained with a good coach since you were 8 years old, maybe you would have discovered the same thing.

I'm not so sure. I definitely would have been more athletic than I am now, but I don't think I would be at Randy Moss' level. This is all extremely opinionated, but whatever. I think the more important thing would be if Randy Moss and me had the same training he would be much more athletic than me.

This discussion is plainly retarded - and coming from me this means a lot. Obviously, a portion of athletic potential is genetically determined. A midget is a midget not because he trained to be small and he can not will himself tall. Because he is a midget, he won't be successful in basketball. However, it's just as obvious that you can improve ANY athlethic ability by training. Show me a power sports olympian (weightlifting, bob sleigh, shot put, sprint etc.) that doesn't train for speed and explosiveness.

I get the feeling most people here are agreeing, but not seeing the whole picture of what everyone is saying. This is how I'm seeing it.

Genetics make us who we are. The reason you're living right now is because of genes at the most basic level. The variations in those genes mean you have a different genetic potential for certain types of athletic activity. The basketball midget is an extreme case, but I'm sure there are less extreme ones that are nonetheless a reality.

However, as far as quickness goes, I think the human limitations on what we can run in the 40yard dash are far greater than what the genetic variations BETWEEN humans mean for prospective athletics. I'm never going to be able to run a 3 second 40yard. I MIGHT never be able to run a 4.2 like some other athletes, but is 4.5 fast for a human? Yes. Is it a hell of a lot faster, comparatively speaking, than what I run now? Yes. So I'll take it.

After a year of training I might make certain gains. But I could train weights for 5 years and possibly deadlift 700. In the same way I feel I could train sprints a close in on the 4.2, it's just a smaller measurement of what I would still call major gains. On the pitch/field/court, a guy who can run a 4.2 40 yard dash will smoke a guy who can run a 4.5 within the first couple steps, so every .1 second is valuable.

Thanks for this discussion guys. If you could elaborate more on weights and specific drills I'd appreciate it.

I mentioned "Explosive Running" by Michael Yessis before. DeFranco has a manual on the 40 yard dash and a DVD on mastering the NFL combine.

I mentioned "Explosive Running" by Michael Yessis before. DeFranco has a manual on the 40 yard dash and a DVD on mastering the NFL combine.

These are both good I have read. Check out Kelly Bagget's new speed manual. I actually have that one, and the feedback I have read on it is all very positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back