More Earth-like planets found.

I'm quite convinced there's alien life out there. Cannot say for certain, of course, but I find it highly probable based on the sheer vastness of it all. Couple that with the strangeness of UFO/UAP sightings throughout the years, and it's possible that they're already here.

Considering humans with just a different color cannot sometimes get along.

Do your really think there will be peace between us and ANOTHER SPECIES?

Great post, great av. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

The factors needed for intelligent life are so specific, it makes the chances of ET life so small, yet the Universe is so vast it makes the probability almost certain.

A paradox, if you will.

Great post, great av. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

giphy.gif

Oh well , all of us must start training hard, cos if the aliens come here they will probably want to fight us/kills us.

Oh well , all of us must start training hard, cos if the aliens come here they will probably want to fight us/kills us.

Those guys wouldn't want to engage in hand to hand. If they can actually reach our planet they would have technology so advanced that they could just incinerate the planet or something.

So if you see a giant shadow looming one morning skip the gym session, sit in the couch and enjoy the few days you got left.

I always have to lol at people who think that aliens would actually travel through the universe across insane amounts of distance. Of course there are inhabitable planets, we exist so others have to as well. That's basic logic. The same applies to life forms inhabiting planets. But there's no reason to believe they would actually need to travel through space rather than simply being able to teleport somewhere.

Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God
The odds of life existing on another planet grow ever longer. Intelligent design, anyone?

In 1966 Time magazine ran a cover story asking: Is God Dead? Many have accepted the cultural narrative that he

I always have to lol at people who think that aliens would actually travel through the universe across insane amounts of distance. Of course there are inhabitable planets, we exist so others have to as well. That's basic logic. The same applies to life forms inhabiting planets. But there's no reason to believe they would actually need to travel through space rather than simply being able to teleport somewhere.

lol

Been watching too much Star Trek there, lad.

Just throw in teleportation there, like it's no big deal.

If aliens ever invaded, books and movies have taught us that all we need to repel them is a simple deus ex machina such as bacteria, a computer virus, or water.

Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God
The odds of life existing on another planet grow ever longer. Intelligent design, anyone?

In 1966 Time magazine ran a cover story asking: Is God Dead? Many have accepted the cultural narrative that he’s obsolete—that as science progresses, there is less need for a “God” to explain the universe. Yet it turns out that the rumors of God’s death were premature. More amazing is that the relatively recent case for his existence comes from a surprising place—science itself.

Here’s the story: The same year Time featured the now-famous headline, the astronomer Carl Sagan announced that there were two important criteria for a planet to support life: The right kind of star, and a planet the right distance from that star. Given the roughly octillion—1 followed by 27 zeros—planets in the universe, there should have been about septillion—1 followed by 24 zeros—planets capable of supporting life.

With such spectacular odds, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, a large, expensive collection of private and publicly funded projects launched in the 1960s, was sure to turn up something soon. Scientists listened with a vast radio telescopic network for signals that resembled coded intelligence and were not merely random. But as years passed, the silence from the rest of the universe was deafening. Congress defunded SETI in 1993, but the search continues with private funds. As of 2014, researchers have discovered precisely bubkis—0 followed by nothing.

What happened? As our knowledge of the universe increased, it became clear that there were far more factors necessary for life than Sagan supposed. His two parameters grew to 10 and then 20 and then 50, and so the number of potentially life-supporting planets decreased accordingly. The number dropped to a few thousand planets and kept on plummeting.

Even SETI proponents acknowledged the problem. Peter Schenkel wrote in a 2006 piece for Skeptical Inquirer magazine: “In light of new findings and insights, it seems appropriate to put excessive euphoria to rest . . . . We should quietly admit that the early estimates . . . may no longer be tenable.”

As factors continued to be discovered, the number of possible planets hit zero, and kept going. In other words, the odds turned against any planet in the universe supporting life, including this one. Probability said that even we shouldn’t be here.

Today there are more than 200 known parameters necessary for a planet to support life—every single one of which must be perfectly met, or the whole thing falls apart. Without a massive planet like Jupiter nearby, whose gravity will draw away asteroids, a thousand times as many would hit Earth’s surface. The odds against life in the universe are simply astonishing.

Full Article...http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes-the-case-for-god-1419544568
Gotta rep both sides homie
To the editor:

I was rather surprised to read the unfortunate oped piece “Science Increasingly makes the case for God”, written not by a scientist but a religious writer with an agenda. The piece was rife with inappropriate scientific misrepresentations. For example:

We currently DO NOT know the factors that allow the evolution of life in the Universe. We know the many factors that were important here on Earth, but we do not know what set of other factors might allow a different evolutionary history elsewhere. The mistake made by the author is akin to saying that if one looks at all the factors in my life that led directly to my sitting at my computer to write this, one would obtain a probability so small as to conclude that it is impossible that anyone else could ever sit down to compose a letter to the WSJ.
We have discovered many more planets around stars in our galaxy than we previously imagined, and many more forms of life existing in extreme environments in our planet than were known when early estimates of the frequency of life in the universe were first made. If anything, the odds have increased, not decreased.
The Universe would certainly continue to exist even if the strength of the four known forces was different. It is true that if the forces had slighty different strengths ( but nowhere near as tiny as the fine-scale variation asserted by the writer) then life as we know it would probably not have evolved. This is more likely an example of life being fine-tuned for the universe in which it evolved, rather than the other way around.
My ASU colleague Paul Davies may have said that “the appearance of design is overwhelming”, but his statement should not be misinterpreted. The appearance of design of life on Earth is also overwhelming, but we now understand, thanks to Charles Darwin that the appearance of design is not the same as design, it is in fact a remnant of the remarkable efficiency of natural selection.

Religious arguments for the existence of God thinly veiled as scientific arguments do a disservice to both science and religion, and by allowing a Christian apologist to masquerade as a scientist WSJ did a disservice to its readers.

Lawrence M. Krauss is Professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration and Directors of the Origins Project at Arizona State University, and the author most recently A Universe from Nothing: Why there is something rather than nothing.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/12/letter-to-the-editor/

lol I'm not even taking sides tho!

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Just thought it was relevant to the thread. Hadn't seen the Dawkins rebuttal yet, thanks for that. Gotta admit, I was surprised to see that the other day in the Wall Street Journal, of all places.

if we ever get our measly hands on those planets, you bet your ass we will siphon the oil

That WSJ article is pretty laughable and can be debunked by anyone with a cursory knowledge biology and space. Life can't be only defined by what we know here is possible on Earth.

if we ever get our measly hands on those planets, you bet your ass we will siphon the oil

i think by the time we develop the tech to be able to travel to other planets beyond our solar system we will have gone past the need for fossil fuels. but i'm sure there are other elements that we can go to war over tho

i think by the time we develop the tech to be able to travel to other planets beyond our solar system we will have gone past the need for fossil fuels. but i'm sure there are other elements that we can go to war over tho

Like unobtainium.

Why do we - and I definitely do - want to know whether there is intelligent life beyond earth? Is it just to know we are not alone, or is it to learn the origin of the universe? It is likely whatever aliens we find, if we manage to communicate, will be just as much in the dark as we are.

Why do we - and I definitely do - want to know whether there is intelligent life beyond earth? Is it just to know we are not alone, or is it to learn the origin of the universe? It is likely whatever aliens we find, if we manage to communicate, will be just as much in the dark as we are.

Because huge if true.

Back