More Earth-like planets found.

I was listening to a Neil Degrasse Tyson interview and he believes the criteria for life is far more broad than we believe it to be. His main criteria were;

- Water
- some sort of energy source
- entropy (there have to be larger concentrations of energy and heat in certain areas while lesser in others to create an ecosystem)

His basis for this was that life is far more resilient than we give it credit for. For instance, we've found flourishing ecosystems literally miles underwater in pressures that normal life simply couldn't withstand.

- This shows us that life can handle greater or lesser planet sizes (broadening the amount of potential planets for life).
- It also shows us that the proximity from the sun may not matter as long as there is another source of energy (thermal). So life can exist in deep seas or potentially underground despite how uninhabitable the surface may be. (Broadening the potential planets even more).

He then went on to point out the existence of rogue planets, which are planets that have escaped the gravity of a star and are hurled into space. It's believed that there may be as many, if not more rogue planets in the universe than planets orbiting Sun's.

By most scientists criteria, these rogue planets couldn't possibly sustain life. However, Tyson argues that they still could in deeper oceans or underground as long as there is still an abundant amount of thermal energy. (Which again, adds even more potential planets).

To me, the possibility of life on other planets is so high that it's a virtual impossibility that we are the only life forms. I have no idea how or when we will find it, but it's out there somewhere.

Very interesting thoughts. Really makes you think that it's a strong possibility that there is a lot of other life on other planets. Maybe not many instances where there are dinosaurs or humanoids but life in general seems almost probable.

I was listening to a Neil Degrasse Tyson interview and he believes the criteria for life is far more broad than we believe it to be. His main criteria were;

- Water
- some sort of energy source
- entropy (there have to be larger concentrations of energy and heat in certain areas while lesser in others to create an ecosystem)

His basis for this was that life is far more resilient than we give it credit for. For instance, we've found flourishing ecosystems literally miles underwater in pressures that normal life simply couldn't withstand.

- This shows us that life can handle greater or lesser planet sizes (broadening the amount of potential planets for life).
- It also shows us that the proximity from the sun may not matter as long as there is another source of energy (thermal). So life can exist in deep seas or potentially underground despite how uninhabitable the surface may be. (Broadening the potential planets even more).

He then went on to point out the existence of rogue planets, which are planets that have escaped the gravity of a star and are hurled into space. It's believed that there may be as many, if not more rogue planets in the universe than planets orbiting Sun's.

By most scientists criteria, these rogue planets couldn't possibly sustain life. However, Tyson argues that they still could in deeper oceans or underground as long as there is still an abundant amount of thermal energy. (Which again, adds even more potential planets).

To me, the possibility of life on other planets is so high that it's a virtual impossibility that we are the only life forms. I have no idea how or when we will find it, but it's out there somewhere.

Why does it even have to be water? Couldn't it be something else that maybe our body can't assimilate but an alien organism can? Like Ammonia, Nitrogen, Neon. They touch on this in various science fiction that there could be species that aren't even carbon based but can be silicone based. There could hypothetically be many variants of bio-chemistry we are not aware of yet as we are still relatively babies in terms of exploring the universe. I guess the reason he stated water is that Oxygen and Hydrogen are very common elements and are found in other elements?

Very interesting thoughts. Really makes you think that it's a strong possibility that there is a lot of other life on other planets. Maybe not many instances where there are dinosaurs or humanoids but life in general seems almost probable.

I would be shocked if there weren't microorganisms all over the place in the the oceans on Titan.

Why does it even have to be water? Couldn't it be something else that maybe our body can't assimilate but an alien organism can? Like Ammonia, Nitrogen, Neon. They touch on this in various science fiction that there could be species that aren't even carbon based but can be silicone based. There could hypothetically be many variants of bio-chemistry we are not aware of yet as we are still relatively babies in terms of exploring the universe. I guess the reason he stated water is that Oxygen and Hydrogen are very common elements and are found in other elements?

I guess. I believe the case for water is that it allows cells to pass information, electrical signals, and nutrients.

Here's some info on how the "Earth like" label is determined:

It works, essentially, by observing the brightness of stars in a fixed view. Analysts on Earth then look for instances when an extrasolar planet crosses in front of its star, causing the brightness to dim. That might seem rather primitive, but a lot can be gleaned from that dimming. It can tell us the size of the planet, the shape of its orbit, its distance from the star—and can give us a fairly educated guess at what its composition is like. That said, these planets are too far away for us to directly observe or measure things like atmosphere.

http://qz.com/322433/scientists-just-discovered-the-most-earth-like-planet-ever/

What's even crazier is that our most basic criteria for life has already been proven wrong.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4073/20130920/alien-microbes-found-floating-stratosphere.htm

We've already found microbes 16 miles above earth that didnt originate from our surface, Russians claimed to have found microbes clinging to their space stations, and NASA believes they found bacteria on a drifting comet. Shit is crazy.

The difference likely being who has more advanced weapons and tactics.
I'm sure whoever they would be, they probably don't live forever. For them to get to us in such little time at those distances, they must be far more advanced than us.

What's even crazier is that our most basic criteria for life has already been proven wrong.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4073/20130920/alien-microbes-found-floating-stratosphere.htm

We've already found microbes 16 miles above earth that didnt originate from our surface, Russians claimed to have found microbes clinging to their space stations, and NASA believes they found bacteria on a drifting comet. Shit is crazy.

Thats real interesting wonder how creationists will try and explain it.

I just don't really believe they can tell if a planet is earth like

I think they have a rather loose interpretation of earth like. It looks like the data they are using either determines the mass of the planet by measuring how much it wobbles the star or determines the diameter of a planet by how much light it blocks as it transits the star. They are calling planets 2.7 times the mass of earth or 2.7 times the diameter of earth, earth like. I doubt that any earth life would like the gravity on a planet 2.7 times the mass of earth. If they are using the diameter, there is a wide variety of the type of planet it could be.

They have no idea of the the rotation period of the planet. It could be locked to the star so one side is always facing the star getting roasted and the other side is freezing and might only be able to support life on the margins between the two. It could revolve faster and have a 6 hour day or slower and have a day that lasts a week. Is it a total waterworld or a waterless world?

While there may be an almost infinite number of planets, there are also an almost infinite number of variables that can make them different. We don't know for certain what conditions are necessary for life to begin let alone develop into intelligent life.

When we talk life on other planets I assume we mean more advanced life than microbes. Microbes might well exist in many places but they won't build spaceships. We might have some very intelligent animals living in the oceans like whales, dolphins and octopus but they aren't likely to build spaceships either. Whales and Dolphins aren't equipped to do manual labor and it would be very difficult to make metals in the ocean.

Earth like = a ball of molten lava or a dead rock floating in the wrong place

When we talk life on other planets I assume we mean more advanced life than microbes. Microbes might well exist in many places but they won't build spaceships. We might have some very intelligent animals living in the oceans like whales, dolphins and octopus but they aren't likely to build spaceships either. Whales and Dolphins aren't equipped to do manual labor and it would be very difficult to make metals in the ocean.

If we find microbes all over our own solar system than its a pretty damn good sign that there could be advanced beings out there somewhere.

I think they have a rather loose interpretation of earth like. It looks like the data they are using either determines the mass of the planet by measuring how much it wobbles the star or determines the diameter of a planet by how much light it blocks as it transits the star. They are calling planets 2.7 times the mass of earth or 2.7 times the diameter of earth, earth like. I doubt that any earth life would like the gravity on a planet 2.7 times the mass of earth. If they are using the diameter, there is a wide variety of the type of planet it could be.

They have no idea of the the rotation period of the planet. It could be locked to the star so one side is always facing the star getting roasted and the other side is freezing and might only be able to support life on the margins between the two. It could revolve faster and have a 6 hour day or slower and have a day that lasts a week. Is it a total waterworld or a waterless world?

While there may be an almost infinite number of planets, there are also an almost infinite number of variables that can make them different. We don't know for certain what conditions are necessary for life to begin let alone develop into intelligent life.
yeah, I was taking it to literal .thanks you an the others who took time to explain

I don't think there are intelligent aliens. Maybe there are dinosaur type aliens but that's all. I think human type life is extremely rare, intelligence of our kind is not required for survival, so why do we assume other species would evolve intelligence? Luck brought humanity into existence, and our bizzare way of shaping the natural world around us to fit our needs is a trait that could easily never pop up on another planet, even in a universe teeming with forms of life.

Good point, they could be just ugly Large insects or just like Alien in Sigourney Weaver's Film.

Heck there good be a planet of retards.
======================================================

Nice article, I love stuff like these I am not into the math when it comes to Astronomy I am not good at it but love some discussion and some reading Materiel that deals with the vastness of the universe.

Its mind boggling.

I'm sure we would have found life by now, obviously they are trying to avoid our current intelligence like the plague. Maybe when we improve by 95% or more compared to our current 5% efficiency I'm sure we'll be bombarded by all kinds of activity. :icon_lol:

I 100% believe there are extraterrestrial civilizations, some which are far more advanced than us. I also believe most civilizations don't last very long on a cosmic scale. Civilizations, especially advanced ones, probably deplete their planet of resources before discovering the solution to light speed.

Sad but true. This sounds right..

Back