Moments in Documentaries that stuck with you?

I was watching the Steve Gleason documentary on the plane. People say planes make you more emotional but I was legit choking up every 5 minutes and had to turn it off to stop from openly crying. I've watched a lot of tragic events in documentaries and I've never gotten that emotional. Powerful stuff. Definitely recommend.

Three Identical Strangers...when they got into the part that it was all because of a psychiatric study, like what?

Last edited:
I need to watch that.

My favorite biking “documentary “ is Dust to Glory.

Mainly the parts following Mouse finishing on a dirt bike solo, because for decades me and my buddy wanted to do it.

we would both ride, but each on our own bikes soloing.

Then Mouse does it. Crazy

Safe for work?
I love bikes anyway, but all 3 of Long Way Round, Long Way Down and (yay Friday) a new Long Way Up airs on Apple TV when I get home tonight. Bikes, the scenery and camaraderie between the team over like 15 years is sweet as a nut. Could not recommend it enough.

There was a Madoff doc where one of the victims was a woman living in Florida. She was able to retire early thanks to great return on her investments. She had her nest egg still in the company and was living off the dividends. She received a fax laying out the scheme and by the time she finished the fax, she was essentially broke And all the money was gone. Imagine that. In a period of 10 seconds she went from retired looking at the beach to all the way back to square one.

Some real knife-twisting, traumatizing ones from war, crime, and drug docs, but I don't really want to revisit those.

So instead I'll mention one from The King of Kong when the doc's manifest villain, Billy, goes into a supermarket, with the camera crew following him, starts pushing every competing hot wings sauce to the back of the shelf, and bringing every one of his own to the front, so that shoppers would think the store only carried a single brand of hot sauce.

I just laughed, "Is this guy fucking real?"

Netflix documentary: Long Shot stuck with me for a few days.

Project Nim pulled the old heart strings

Auschwitz: The Nazis and the final solution- is probably the best documentary series I’ve watched.

I need to watch that.

My favorite biking “documentary “ is Dust to Glory.

Mainly the parts following Mouse finishing on a dirt bike solo, because for decades me and my buddy wanted to do it.

we would both ride, but each on our own bikes soloing.

Then Mouse does it. Crazy

Have you caught the 2nd one yet?

There was a Madoff doc where one of the victims was a woman living in Florida. She was able to retire early thanks to great return on her investments. She had her nest egg still in the company and was living off the dividends. She received a fax laying out the scheme and by the time she finished the fax, she was essentially broke And all the money was gone. Imagine that. In a period of 10 seconds she went from retired looking at the beach to all the way back to square one.
Would you link me please? I saw the TV show which I thought was brilliant but didn't catch the documentary.

Would you link me please? I saw the TV show which I thought was brilliant but didn't catch the documentary.
It was the HBO one Wizard of Lies. It had documentary elements in addition to dramatizations with De Niro as Bernie. Being an HBO film, you’ll have to dig a bit for it

The worst one was a documentary about hookers -following 3 different girls from 3 different country..

The second one was a girl from India in a really poor neighborhood. She had an attitude about her. sassy, defiant to her customers/bfs.

But there was a scene where she suddenly paused (and it was an uncomfortable long silence) during her interview and then she said something along the lines of:

"Can I be real for a moment? <more silence> I hate my life. I can't get out of it. I see no end to it. I will probably be stuck here for the rest of my life."

She's poor in a poor neighborhood with little to no education and no access to resources to help her get out of it. Probably has to help her family too. It was a drastic difference from the hookers in Thailand who were making a shit ton of money and then turn it around and blow that cash at bars (they were hiring and paying for these good looking guys to entertain them).

They're all damaged but that scene with the Indian girl really hurt my soul hard...
Life can truly suck for people.

I can't find the clip but it King of Kong when that long haired dude strolls into where the othe rdudes are playing the game and the leonard cohen song Everyone Knows starts playing was epic.

Its like enter the ultimate vilian and its a nerd about video games.

Its almost the perfectly shot scene.

two from the same film (Memory for Max, Claire, Ida & Company)

1. one of the patients at the hospital who is always crying because she is convinced that her family has abandoned her even though they visit her often

2. every morning the nurses need to remind Claire that her “boyfriend” (also a patient at the hospital) has died, thus Claire has to experience the shock & heartbreak of his passing every day.

In Baraka there is this part where they show poverty around the world and it just sucks to see the state that people live in and makes me appreciate what i have, its still hard to watch imo.

Some real knife-twisting, traumatizing ones from war, crime, and drug docs, but I don't really want to revisit those.

So instead I'll mention one The King of Kong when the doc's manifest villain, Billy, goes into a supermarket, with the camera crew following him, and starts pushing every competing hot wings sauce to the back of the shelf, and bringing every one of his own to the front, so that shoppers would think the store only carried a single brand of hot sauce.

I just laughed, "Is this guy fucking real?"
I can't find the clip but it King of Kong when that long haired dude strolls into where the othe rdudes are playing the game and the leonard cohen song Everyone Knows starts playing was epic.

Its like enter the ultimate vilian and its a nerd about video games.

Its almost the perfectly shot scene.

My bro talked to him at a Retro Con. My bro said he’s a really nice guy in real life. He said he hammed it up for the documentary and does outrageous things to promote his business.

My bro talked to him at a Retro Con. My bro said he’s a really nice guy in real life. He said he hammed it up for the documentary and does outrageous things to promote his business.
Wouldn't surprise me. You get the sense he's a one hell of a savvy businessman.

When Prince Akeem beat up those guys with a mop handle. Amazing.

Dirty Wars documentary. Jeremy Scahill demeanor in the documentary and interviews is that of someone who lost faith in humanity. Where you see investigating such issues drains his soul.

This scene is always the first thing I think about when I hear there's another school shooting in the US

Back