Modern Fame

franquito

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

It seems like in the past, there were more truly famous people. People who everyone would recognize. Whether you were young or old, whether you were a fan or not, you would know who they are.

There are people who still fit this description, but most of them have been famous for many years.
Eg- Taylor Swift, Brad Pitt, LeBron James, Donald Trump
Even if you don't follow pop music, movies, sports, or politics, you still know these people. But they all became famous >5 year ago

There are so many different options for entertainment now, that I'm not sure that type of fame can still be created. People can choose to follow the things and people who interest them, and ignore the ones that don't.

Who is the most famous person who only became famous within the past 5 years?

1706497027701.png

How old are you? You're probably picking people who've been famous for more than 5 years because they were famous when you paid more attention to famous people. My grandmother wouldn't know Brad Pitt or Lebron James either.

Being famous probably sucks now. It was probably awesome in the 90s and earlier, but now they seem like hostages, and even if groupies bang you, they can change their mind after and say you raped them to shake you down for money.

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

It seems like in the past, there were more truly famous people. People who everyone would recognize. Whether you were young or old, whether you were a fan or not, you would know who they are.

There are people who still fit this description, but most of them have been famous for many years.
Eg- Taylor Swift, Brad Pitt, LeBron James, Donald Trump
Even if you don't follow pop music, movies, sports, or politics, you still know these people. But they all became famous >5 year ago

There are so many different options for entertainment now, that I'm not sure that type of fame can still be created. People can choose to follow the things and people who interest them, and ignore the ones that don't.

Who is the most famous person who only became famous within the past 5 years?

View attachment 1026645
I had a teacher make the same exact point...30 years ago.

I think part of what you have seen is different kinds of fame become more divided. The really rich and successful people, your movie stars, music stars, sports stars, etc these days often do not have very much media interaction, they'll maybe do a chat show circuit when they have a film out or something like that but generally their private lives tend to be more private than they were say in the 90's.

I think you've had more "social media/reality stars" rise up to fill this gap, people who are famous for being famous and there career is basically playing to the celeb gossip media industry.

Idk, who cares?
IMO, it’s good that people can find others with similar interests, with similar subcultures which have their own celebrities. Well, mostly good. That QAnon shit isn’t good for anyone.

Being famous probably sucks now. It was probably awesome in the 90s and earlier, but now they seem like hostages, and even if groupies bang you, they can change their mind after and say you raped them to shake you down for money.
Yup. Being famous would be the worst.

I'm surprised there are any celebs out there that don't have rape allegations.

I'm sure they all will eventually.

The goal should be to be rich but unknown.

There's no mainstream pop culture anymore. It's all divided up now

Yup. Being famous would be the worst.

I'm surprised there are any celebs out there that don't have rape allegations.

I'm sure they all will eventually.

The goal should be to be rich but unknown.
There's really only a few paths to being rich and unknown. A lot of the regular rich people are still on the hook from other people, and there's a tacit agreement it could all go away if they step out of line. "Fuck you money" is a more interesting concept or a money pep talk, because the reality is much more depressing, that there's really only "fuck you" poverty where there's really nothing for anyone to hold over you.

Fame was actually a pretty sweet deal for a long time. I think Rob Lowe or someone said something similar about how awesome it was to be famous in the 80s. Nobody knew or cared your personal opinions on anything, people would just buy you drinks, chicks would bang you and that was that, and at most they'd pull out a clunky cameras to pose for a picture with you. Now you have to be an ambassador, people film your every move, chicks can bang you then call you a rapist 20 years later, and it could all go away at any time.

Back