MMA Journalist with Law Degree Dismantles Joe Rogan's Stipe HW GOAT Theory

Are you more or less inclined to believe Stipe is the HW GOAT now compared to a week ago?

• Total voters
fedor GOAT talk is ridiculous. fedor got humiliated by Antonio Silva, Werdum and dan henderson when he was 33, 34. Stipe beat ngannou when he was 35. Stipe has a win over JDS, Cormier, Ngannou, Overeem, Werdum. they are much better HW than antonio silva and dan henderson.
Fedor is not goat material, he just spent his career beating cans

Fedor is still fighting and a can at this point, he can no longer be the goat.

Stipe has fought the top fighters in the world for a long time now. I understand what fedor did and it’s very impressive I just don’t think it was anywhere near as hard to do what he did when he did it

Stipe has only been fighting the best for less than 5 yrs, a little over 4.5 yrs. I'm talking about him fighting JDS in Dec 2014 (a fight he lost), that was when Stipe starting fighting the best. Before that, he was in the UFC but he wasn't fighting the absolute best guys, he was fighting good guys that no one considered elite, guys that were not top 10 or at best maybe number 10. He has a very impressive body of work, but I never once thought he was unbeatable. Fedor had that unbeatable aura for about 7 yrs, beginning with him beating Nog.

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a(N) LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).

I hope you have a good law clerk to check up on your paperwork genius.

Lol you’re talking about shill Rogan here

If Brock comes back and gets a win or two he’s the best ever, If they do a DC trilogy than for sure the winner is the best ever !!!

Dude has no spine, don’t mind him

obviously recency bias plays a part any time a poll is asked in this similar fashion.

But the only argument for Stipe being the GOAT is "statistically he is the best UFC champ". That's all. Long ago it was for the most part agreed you can't use statistics to determine the best in MMA.

Everyone knows primecain demolishes prime stipe. Stipe is about no 4 on the hw goat list. Rogan is a jones and stipe shill.

I hope you have a good law clerk to check up on your paperwork genius.

Oh my bad typo, so what? Who are you? The grammar nazi? This is just sherdog and English is not my first language. I'm Dutch. And Genius? I know but thanks for the compliment anyway.

Actually I can use an extra good law clerk. Maybe you can work for me? That would change your bum life.

The only argument against Fedor is that his best years happened with outdated ruleset and ring but even thats a bit stretch atm.

Going 30-0 at HW against any competition is something we will never see again.

Stipe got stopped by Struve who is basically nobody and I'm sure we can all agree Stipe was at the time and still is the better fighter but at HW one punch can make a skill gap on paper null and void in a second but it took over 30 fights for that to happen to Fedor in a record that included multiple top 10 opponents and basically every UFC Champion of his era.

Of course now they are all "trash" according to guy's like you who's only knowledge of them comes from reading a record on Wikipedia without the benefit of context gained from witnessing it live as it happened but don't worry, in another 10 years the next generation of yous will be saying the same thing about Stipes competition to justify the guy they claim to be the HW GOAT because he beat a few of the guy's they consider elite.

It's a vicious cycle when new fans have no interest in learning the history of the sport and instead feel whoever they came up watching has to be the best cause that's who they witnessed first hand and don't want to believe they missed something special.

Oddly this seems to be exclusive to MMA though as fans of every other sport including Boxing seem to study and appreciate the history and the past legends instead of going out of their way to shit on them.
I mean, his run was great for sure. But the cans in pride hw division never knocked out anyone. They all were fodder for the top fighters. They lost almost 100% of the time. The biggest upset was probably randleman knocking out cro cop and obviously he’s not even a can. The 1 punch at hw is overblown (particularly for pride gimme fights).

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.

-MMAFighting.com
posting articles by "mma journalists with law degrees"

raw

Fedor's record littered with trash but he beat HW in their prime.
But, if those prime HW's records are also littered with trash, does it really mean a lot ?
Considering that during the same period of time, in an equally trash UFC HW division, no one managed more than 2 consecutive victories, I'd say going undefeated for a decade is an impressive accomplishment.

I think you have to look at strength of opponents as well when determining goat status. Did stipe face the highest rated competition?

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.

-MMAFighting.com

That ambulance chaser is BUTT HURT AF because he lost money! LMAO

"With a healthy amount of rest and a fully functioning back, it seems highly likely that history is set to repeat itself."

https://www.gambling.com/news/cormier-favored-in-ufc-title-rematch-with-miocic-in-august-1932600

He disagreed and made a few good arguments. But nothing to suggest he dismantled anything.

We all know who Rogan works for. We all know he isn't perfect. We all know he isn't all that popular here.

But the word dismantles isn't appropriate here. Not even nearly.

Back