MMA Journalist with Law Degree Dismantles Joe Rogan's Stipe HW GOAT Theory

Are you more or less inclined to believe Stipe is the HW GOAT now compared to a week ago?

• Total voters
I mean Rogan works for the ufc he has to sell the product to the customers.
So yeah ofc the current champions are "goat" status.

Don't forget after all its the entertainment industry

Exactly

Astonishing that people don’t understand this

Same. Stipe could sleep every HW on the roster consecutively in the first round and I would still find him to be one of the most boring fighters/personalities to have ever graced the sport. There is a point when being the every man is detrimental. Miocic is probably a great dude and means well but he honestly puts me to sleep faster than his opponents.

Well... The current Hw champ got dominated from A to Z by a smaller, fatter, older pre-retired fighter.... That ain't no GOAT material and if anything that show how the HW division is weak
Pre-retired? Isn't every fighter pre-retired? Also, he beat DC (aka the second best LHW ever after Jon Jones aka one of the best to ever to do it at HW according to everybody) by TKO

One fact is often overlooked for some reason:
Fedor basically had 2 parallel mma careers going on and he was the king in both of those careers. He was also the sambo king of the world which is nothing but mma.
C’mon. Aleks was also a combat sambo champ. It means little. It’s a pretty fringe sport globally and top mma fighters in combat sambo are essentially facing amateurs. He had no-shows for big fights.

It’s meaningless in context of mma greatness.

I'll make it easy.

Fedor was the #1 HW for 7 years with 20 victories during that reign.
Stipe has been the #1 HW for 2 years with 5 victories during that reign.
How many victories as the #1 hw were against the logical contender for the #1 spot (even if we limit it to just pride)? How many were against legitimate top 5 guys (and yes, it’s a stretch to include timmay)?

This isn’t a point to disrespect fedor but just posting #’s requires some context.

Rogan will always call the flavour of the month fighter the "GOAT". At this point why do people even care. He is just a walking UFC billboard parrot.

Nothing to see.

Fedor's record littered with trash but he beat HW in their prime.
But, if those prime HW's records are also littered with trash, does it really mean a lot ?
Going 30-0 at HW against any competition is something we will never see again.

Stipe got stopped by Struve who is basically nobody and I'm sure we can all agree Stipe was at the time and still is the better fighter but at HW one punch can make a skill gap on paper null and void in a second but it took over 30 fights for that to happen to Fedor in a record that included multiple top 10 opponents and basically every UFC Champion of his era.

Of course now they are all "trash" according to guy's like you who's only knowledge of them comes from reading a record on Wikipedia without the benefit of context gained from witnessing it live as it happened but don't worry, in another 10 years the next generation of yous will be saying the same thing about Stipes competition to justify the guy they claim to be the HW GOAT because he beat a few of the guy's they consider elite.

It's a vicious cycle when new fans have no interest in learning the history of the sport and instead feel whoever they came up watching has to be the best cause that's who they witnessed first hand and don't want to believe they missed something special.

Oddly this seems to be exclusive to MMA though as fans of every other sport including Boxing seem to study and appreciate the history and the past legends instead of going out of their way to shit on them.

Stipe is bigger, more skilled and has better wins than fedor with less embarrassing losses to less bad fighters

He’s still amazing but fedor doesn’t quite match up
Lol, Stipe got stopped early in his career by Struve and is 19-3.

Fedor won 30 plus fights before suffering his first loss beating the consensus #1 and #2 of his era as well as almost every UFC Champion from his era.

Stipe being KOed by Struve and DC in 22 fights just further proves how unprecedented Fedor's 30+ wins in a division where 1 punch can erase the biggest on paper discrepancies in skills in a heartbeat is so special and something unlikely to ever be repeated.

When you add to that the fact he was concurrently dominating at the highest levels of a second sport that was as close to MMA as you can get his accomplishments become even more special.

As the cherry on top he also pretty much drew the blueprint for what it takes to succeed at the top of MMA that hasn't really changed to this day and the man deserves the respect he's earned.

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).
You should do posts like that like that one guy... Thoughts as Lawyer on.... actually never do that.

How many victories as the #1 hw were against the logical contender for the #1 spot (even if we limit it to just pride)? How many were against legitimate top 5 guys (and yes, it’s a stretch to include timmay)?

This isn’t a point to disrespect fedor but just posting #’s requires some context.
Fedor:
#1 fighters defeated (1):
Nogueira 1
Top 5 fighters defeated (5):
Nogueira 3
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia
Herring
Top 10 fighters defeated (6):
Coleman 1
Hunt
Randleman
Schilt
Rogers
Fujita
Stipe:
#1 fighters defeated (2):
Werdum
Cormier
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Hunt
Overeem
JDS
Ngnannou
Top 10 fighters defeated (1):
Arlovski

As you can see Stipe's career isn't on the same level even if you completely discount Fedor's unnecessary squash matches in the middle of his reign.

Last edited:
I made a similar thread on this Roga over the weekend

The current champ is always the goat

If we watch the actual techniques used vs the fedor/nog/cro cop days, things have regressed

This was a sloppy brawl with terrible punching technique

Fedor:
#1 fighters defeated (1):
Coleman
Top 5 fighters defeated (5):
Nogueira 3
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia
Herring
Top 10 fighters defeated (6):
Coleman 1
Hunt
Randleman
Schilt
Rogers
Fujita
Stipe:
#1 fighters defeated (2):
Werdum
Cormier
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Hunt
Overeem
JDS
Ngnannou
Top 10 fighters defeated (1):
Arlovski

As you can see Stipe's career isn't on the same level even if you completely discount Fedor's unnecessary squash matches in the middle of his reign.
You’re not suggesting Coleman was #1 when fedor beat him? Lol. Change nog to 2 and herring was before he was top ranked (so was nog 1). And again timmay had lost 2 of 3 and was ranked high because Barnett and randy weren’t. And we know Rogers was a scrub. Again once fedor was at the top he rarely fought the top. Or even logical next in lines. Again that’s context for he 20 wins as the #1 compared to stipe.

fedor GOAT talk is ridiculous. fedor got humiliated by Antonio Silva, Werdum and dan henderson when he was 33, 34. Stipe beat ngannou when he was 35. Stipe has a win over JDS, Cormier, Ngannou, Overeem, Werdum. they are much better HW than antonio silva and dan henderson.

Stipe can and would beat Crocop and Nog, which are the two qualified high level opponents that credit Fedor. To a lesser extent, Arlovski and Tim, but I would put them more in the 'middle of the pack' talent wise.

I think DC would also have lopsided wins over Crocop and Nog.

To be clear I think Crocop, Nog and Fedor are all legends and some of the best to ever do it. They were the most elite and entertaining guys of their generation at heavyweight. However there is nothing to recommend they are better MMA fighters then DC or Stipe.

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).
Gotta pay off those 6 figure law school debts somehow!

You’re not suggesting Coleman was #1 when fedor beat him? Lol. Change nog to 2 and herring was before he was top ranked (so was nog 1). And again timmay had lost 2 of 3 and was ranked high because Barnett and randy weren’t. And we know Rogers was a scrub. Again once fedor was at the top he rarely fought the top. Or even logical next in lines. Again that’s context for he 20 wins as the #1 compared to stipe.
Lol, I copied from the wrong list. The #1 fighter Fedor beat was Nogueira (1). The #1 fighter Nogueira beat was Coleman. Simple mistake and I made the adjustment so thanks for pointing it out. Everything else is factually accurate based off of actual rankings during those times periods. You can bring your own opinion all you want, but that's all it is, an opinion 15 years after the fact from a single fan. At this moment in time Fedor still has vastly more top wins compared to Stipe while also being the #1 fighter for a vastly longer time period, and that's the reality we live in. No opinions, just facts.

Last edited:
Fedor has some impressive wins on his resume, but the fact that he went undefeated so long isn't as impressive as people make it out to be when you consider who he was fighting. There are so many subpar fighters on his resume that Stipe would crush as well. If you compare Stipe's notable wins to Fedor's, i'd say it's pretty comparable, with Fedor maybe having a slight edge overall. Now if Stipe were to beat Jon Jones, or if he were to beat DC again and then defend against a couple more guys like Blaydes, Ngannou again, Lewis, etc. I think he surpasses Fedor and can safely be considered the HW GOAT.

Fedor's Notable Wins:
- Arona
- Babalu
- Big Nog x2
- Coleman x2
- Randleman
- Cro Cop
- Mark Hunt
- Tim Sylvia
- Arlovski
- Rogers
- Mir