MMA Journalist with Law Degree Dismantles Joe Rogan's Stipe HW GOAT Theory

Are you more or less inclined to believe Stipe is the HW GOAT now compared to a week ago?

• Total voters
This guy with a law degree sounds like he surfs on Sherdog. I have seen every one of those arguments on here before. The last one about Jones is beyond stupid

I’m sure Joe really feels like a fool now :rolleyes:

Big news everyone! Some random person disagree's with Joe Rogan.

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).
Lawyers are trained at scrutinizing evidence as objectively as they can in order to formulate arguments. So his opinions are probably better informed than some random fanboy on Sherdog.

I'm an engineer, obviously you should take my opinion on backflips a lot more seriously than some stupid gymnasts' opinion..

Last edited:
Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.
  2. Stipe’s run is a little inflated. It’s not his fault but Stipe happened to rise to prominence amid an era of fading older glory. Jon Jones suffers from this too. All his best wins come over guys who are very clearly past their prime and still occupy the top of the division because heavyweight has a dearth of talent. Fedor’s resume is littered with trash and outmatched competition, but he also has wins over a number of all-time greats at the peak of their powers.
  3. His title streak was only three years. Rogan harps on how Stipe is the most-accomplished heavyweight ever, which is technically true (though also technically he and Randy Couture have the same number of heavyweight title wins), but is one of those stats that really doesn’t mean much. It means he’s defended the belt three times which, when you think about it is really an indictment of the UFC’s heavyweight division more than a shining example of Stipe’s greatness. Fedor was the undisputed HW king for damn near a decade.
  4. He doesn’t have a mystique -- and never has. Stipe Miocic is the best heavyweight in the world. And at no point in time has anyone ever thought, ‘Wow, he’s gonna kill that guy’ about the next opponent. Fedor, on the other hand, was thought to be invincible for a decade. Now, admittedly, this is a very subjective measure to bring to a GOAT debate and has a lot to do with personality but I genuinely think stuff like that matters, even if it’s small.
  5. Jon Jones exists. Low key one of the biggest knocks on Stipe’s entire run as heavyweight king is the fact that Jon Jones exists and would probably knuckle Stipe up in decided fashion. It’s hard to be seen as the baddest dude on the planet when probably the best fighter of all time would come and take your cookies at any moment, should he so choose.
Stipe is an all-time great and substantially better fighter than I probably give him credit for, but he’s not the GOAT and he’s never been the GOAT. Beating DC, a legitimate top-5 heavyweight near his prime is a big step towards getting there though and if he wins a couple more, maybe I’ll start giving the claim credence.

-MMAFighting.com

I fail to see how being a failed lawyer makes his opinion more relevant.

Subjective opinion from journalist. Solid points, but just as subjective as anyone else's and he deliberately ignores and dismisses some statistics that bolster the Stipe GOAT argument. I actually happen to agree with this journalist that Fedor is GOAT HW, but his arguments are no better than anyone else's.

I mean Rogan works for the ufc he has to sell the product to the customers.
So yeah ofc the current champions are "goat" status.

Don't forget after all its the entertainment industry

This needs more attention. Rogans job is to hype future fights. Thee end.

If he was a lawyer with a journalism degree I'd take his MMA opinions more seriously than a journalist with a law degree

Lawyers are trained at scrutinizing evidence as objectively as they can in order to formulate arguments. So his opinions are probably better informed than some random fanboy on Sherdog.

Yeah, they objectively analyze if they can make an argument plausible enough to sway a jury. Their methods could be objective, but their object isn't. So I can't tell whether his opinion is better informed, or merely more skillfully presented. And frankly, anyone who brings in a "mystique" angle loses my trust to begin with.

Terrible article TBH.

Just another salty DC fan with paragraphs

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.
  2. Stipe’s run is a little inflated. It’s not his fault but Stipe happened to rise to prominence amid an era of fading older glory. Jon Jones suffers from this too. All his best wins come over guys who are very clearly past their prime and still occupy the top of the division because heavyweight has a dearth of talent. Fedor’s resume is littered with trash and outmatched competition, but he also has wins over a number of all-time greats at the peak of their powers.
  3. His title streak was only three years. Rogan harps on how Stipe is the most-accomplished heavyweight ever, which is technically true (though also technically he and Randy Couture have the same number of heavyweight title wins), but is one of those stats that really doesn’t mean much. It means he’s defended the belt three times which, when you think about it is really an indictment of the UFC’s heavyweight division more than a shining example of Stipe’s greatness. Fedor was the undisputed HW king for damn near a decade.
  4. He doesn’t have a mystique -- and never has. Stipe Miocic is the best heavyweight in the world. And at no point in time has anyone ever thought, ‘Wow, he’s gonna kill that guy’ about the next opponent. Fedor, on the other hand, was thought to be invincible for a decade. Now, admittedly, this is a very subjective measure to bring to a GOAT debate and has a lot to do with personality but I genuinely think stuff like that matters, even if it’s small.
  5. Jon Jones exists. Low key one of the biggest knocks on Stipe’s entire run as heavyweight king is the fact that Jon Jones exists and would probably knuckle Stipe up in decided fashion. It’s hard to be seen as the baddest dude on the planet when probably the best fighter of all time would come and take your cookies at any moment, should he so choose.
Stipe is an all-time great and substantially better fighter than I probably give him credit for, but he’s not the GOAT and he’s never been the GOAT. Beating DC, a legitimate top-5 heavyweight near his prime is a big step towards getting there though and if he wins a couple more, maybe I’ll start giving the claim credence.

-MMAFighting.com
At no point does the guy mention Fedor's or Stipe's skills. Not good.

GOAT discussion will always be dumb and arbitrary, no matter what degree you hold.

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

-MMAFighting.com

Jesus fucking christ. This idiot has a law degree and can't understand that Joe's job is to shill for the fucking company?

How butt hurt do you have to be to ignore common sense and keep this discussion going?

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

-MMAFighting.com

Gay

evaluate the argument on its own merits, not on the basis of who is making it.

I'll make it easy.

Fedor was the #1 HW for 7 years with 20 victories during that reign.
Stipe has been the #1 HW for 2 years with 5 victories during that reign.

Stipe is bigger, more skilled and has better wins than fedor with less embarrassing losses to less bad fighters

He’s still amazing but fedor doesn’t quite match up

To be fair, Fedor was recognized as #1 HW on the planet for about 7 yrs before he started losing (he was undefeated longer than that, about 10 yrs). Stipe's reign as HW champ was 2 yrs. I would be shocked if Stipe was #1 HW on the planet for 7 yrs & didn't start having embarassing losses. It happens to all the GOATs at some point, its actually very hard to stay #1 that long

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).

Its relevant as in having a law degree means you have no problem with lying to get your point across

Back