MMA Journalist with Law Degree Dismantles Joe Rogan's Stipe HW GOAT Theory

Are you more or less inclined to believe Stipe is the HW GOAT now compared to a week ago?

• Total voters
To be fair, Fedor was recognized as #1 HW on the planet for about 7 yrs before he started losing (he was undefeated longer than that, about 10 yrs). Stipe's reign as HW champ was 2 yrs. I would be shocked if Stipe was #1 HW on the planet for 7 yrs & didn't start having embarassing losses. It happens to all the GOATs at some point, its actually very hard to stay #1 that long
Stipe has fought the top fighters in the world for a long time now. I understand what fedor did and it’s very impressive I just don’t think it was anywhere near as hard to do what he did when he did it

I hate threads like this.

While I can agree Stipe is overrated,
and Fedor is Fedor...
Obviously.

This reeks of casual noob.

Anyone arguing against Fedor as the GOAT really is just a noob in casual clothing.

Don't go blaming Rogan for hyping the current era.
Blame yourself for buying into it.

Last edited:
Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.

-MMAFighting.com

Stipe is 100% the 2nd best,

Max is 100% the GOAT

Lawyers are trained at scrutinizing evidence as objectively as they can in order to formulate arguments. So his opinions are probably better informed than some random fanboy on Sherdog.

He didn't make very good use of his law degree by bringing up "mystique". No direct comparison of their resume and best wins. It's a poorly thought out article and I've done better with my posts on here the last few days.

Stipe is 100% the 2nd best,

Max is 100% the GOAT

Max best wins:
Aldo 2x
Edgar
Pettis
Ortega
Lamas
Cub
Oliveira
Jeremy Stephens

Aldo best wins:
Edgar 2x
Mendes 2x
Faber
Mike Brown
KZ
Lamas
Moicano
Cub
Kenny Florian
Jeremy Stephens

Aldo still has the better wins, longer win streak, more longevity. Aldo is the GOAT and Max needs several more fights to reach his status.

Fedor's record littered with trash but he beat HW in their prime.
But, if those prime HW's records are also littered with trash, does it really mean a lot ?
And Miocic's resume is filled, primarily, with old and/or past their prime fighters, with the exception of Ngannou, but then how good was his actual resume? I think Ngannou only defeated one Heavyweight who was under 35 years old.

Stipe has fought the top fighters in the world for a long time now. I understand what fedor did and it’s very impressive I just don’t think it was anywhere near as hard to do what he did when he did it

Then why didn't anyone else do it?

And Miocic's resume is filled, primarily, with old and/or past their prime fighters, with the exception of Ngannou, but then how good was his actual resume? I think Ngannou only defeated one Heavyweight who was under 35 years old.

I didn't mention Stipe tho. You're right about what you said about him also

Recency bias argument doesn't apply in a sport that is less than 30 years old. We're at a point where the recent champs usually will be the GOAT. Maybe in 20 years that argument will hold water but now the current best are usually going to be the GOAT's.

I have 2/3's of a law degree!

I agree with pretty much everything in the article except for the Jon Jones statement.
How does the mere existance of Jon diminish Stipe? lmfao, Jon has declined to fight at HW numerous times and spent the last year beating up Middleweights. How does a fantasy match-up impact actual fucking legacy?
But yeah, Fedor is obviously and by far the HW GOAT - anyone claiming Stipe is even close to what Fedor did is simply a noob or delusional.

I agree with both:

1) Stipe is not Fedor;

2) Jones is great, no doubt ... but if Stipe can find a way to beat Ngannou, he sure has hell can find a way to beat the skinnier, weaker Jon Jones. The truth is, Jones is not a pound-for-pound anything. He has built a career facing smaller men, not bigger men.

If smaller schleps can give Jones trouble (Smith, Santos), a truly badass, 230-lb, 6'4" power puncher like Stipe can knock Jones TF out.

Max best wins:
Aldo 2x
Edgar
Pettis
Ortega
Lamas
Cub
Oliveira
Jeremy Stephens

Aldo best wins:
Edgar 2x
Mendes 2x
Faber
Mike Brown
KZ
Lamas
Moicano
Cub
Kenny Florian
Jeremy Stephens

Aldo still has the better wins, longer win streak, more longevity. Aldo is the GOAT and Max needs several more fights to reach his status.

Aldo x 2 is better than all of Aldo's wins dude.... Fuck people are retarded.

Lee degree?!?!?!?!?! Ahhh snap!!! Must be GOAT expert mma analyst !!!!

Dont forget Rogan was claiming Cain was a few months ago lol

Aldo x 2 is better than all of Aldo's wins dude.... Fuck people are retarded.

Weidman has Silva 2x. Does that make Weidman greater than Silva? No, stupid. Look at their entire run and compare them.

"(Insert Dana White approved opinion) is the (Insert Dana White approved opinion) of all time" ~ Joe Rogan

Theres def a sturong recency bias in MMA. Theres no debating that

Fedor's record littered with trash but he beat HW in their prime.
But, if those prime HW's records are also littered with trash, does it really mean a lot ?

No one counts cans like Zulu and Nagata when talking about Fedors resume tho (and he doesnt have much more cans than that TBH)

those were gimme/tuneup fights and dude was fighting 4-5 times a year in his peak which would be unheard of for a top tier fighter in this generation

his resume still holds up and his 2 wins over a peak Nog (specially the 1st one) are two of the gureatest wins ever in MMA. And Nog himself is gureater than Stipe

Well... The current Hw champ got dominated from A to Z by a smaller, fatter, older pre-retired fighter.... That ain't no GOAT material and if anything that show how the HW division is weak
Every single active fighter today is pre-retired, you sound like a sub standard politician.
Cormier cracked him in the first fight, Stipe cracked comier in the second fight, it's heavyweight.

Him and his law degree mean very little to the argument. It's all up to opinion. I personally have Stipe but someone picking Fedor over him is completely fine and understandable. Both are beasts and should be appreciated for what they've done in the sport

Back