***MMA Conditioning Article***

Midfielders run 10-12k per game if not more.

is that
pro-evolution-soccer3.jpg
though

You think Fedor have any problems cutting to light heavy???

How the fuck can Randy be a natural heavyweight when he easily makes LHW and wrestled at that same weight... ...?

Your natural weight isn't the lowest weight you can get to, it's your normal every day walking weight. Randy and Fedor walk around at 220-235, that is a heavyweight. MMA doesn't have a SHW class, so the real heavyweights are forced to fight super heavy weights (and the SHW's are forced to cut to 265).

You can't tell me that it is fair to have Fedor/Randy fight Tim Sylvia or Semmy Schilt (even if they did win). Would you think it would be fair to have Urijah Faber fight Anderson Silva or Dan Henderson?

Fedor would have a lot of problems cutting to LHW, because he wouldn't be Fedor any more. He relies on being faster than his opponents.

4 x 800 metre intervals as fast as you can beats an LSD 5k any day of the week. They still work the aerobic system 60% and anaerobic system 40%. What more do you need?

Good point, Spirez. I think that's covered in II, isn't it?

4 x 800 metre intervals as fast as you can beats an LSD 5k any day of the week. They still work the aerobic system 60% and anaerobic system 40%. What more do you need?

A sick bucket

People who think their LSD runs arent intense enough need to run faster during their LSD runs.

Tell me why LSD is better for you in training than anaerobic conditioning. 'Uh, it's good for you' doesn't count.

It's not better. They're both important.

Five minute bursts of energy, when strung together in increments of three to five, add up to 17-29 minutes of activity. For that, you need an aerobic base.

I think Centaur had an interesting post about Aerobic being useful for training and supporting your anaerobic work in that instance. Not sure about the balance/interaction between the CNS and cardio, with CNS potentially being the limiting factor though.

Low intensity cardio does have a place in MMA training but long distance runs do not. If you want some active recovery from your more intense interval work, then you should be skipping to work on calf endurance and footwork or doing some light, low intensity rolling. As long as what you're doing translates over to your sport. It's called the principle of specificity and it's pretty much talked about in the very first chapter of any strength and conditioning text you'll ever read.

5/5 minute circuits with 1 minute rest done 3 times a week. (compound, multi-joint supersets) and select exercises that mimic the demands of MMA.

1 hour of low-to-medium intensity rolling another 3-4 times a week.

5-7 rounds of padwork done 3-4 times a week.

Add in all your sparring sessions etc.

Don't waste your time jogging for an hour. Your time and energy can be spent doing more productive things.

Good cardiovascular fitness is important to, as mentioned before, in recovering fast and being able to take the best advantage of other kinds of energy systems. But is runing the best option?

I belive that the idea of specific conditioning brings would be the best alternative.

Sometimes it feels like people dont get it that when their on the mat or in the ring they are actually getting conditioning with the skills. Naturally, to reap the best benefits it demands alot of initiative and will from the coach to condition their fighters while improving skills.

A great example of specific conditioning, from more "aerobic" point of view would be long rounds of position
grapling without the submissions, consentraitin on movement, position game and staying lose. It is a killer but with the right tempo and attitude it also is a great way to learn to move and get a great conditioning work out. Sure beats runing for grappling.

A Finnish wrestling team, with national level wrestlers, started doing 30 min rounds to get the conditioning up, when they heard the womens team had started to do the same, the coach crank'd it up a notch and push'd the rounds to 60 mins. Ofcourse not all the time but you get the point.

People who think their LSD runs arent intense enough need to run faster during their LSD runs.

Its very true

But also lsd runs are usually above 4-5 miles.

Just you know...throwing that out there.....for now real reason :icon_chee

Its very true

You jerk. Quit reading my training log for material to use against me!

Its very true

I haven't :icon_chee

I remember from on a conditioning thread where I said about contacting a admin if your lsd runs were less then 6 miles :icon_chee

Back