***MMA Conditioning Article***

The Fitness Blueprint - General Health - Designing a home gym... on a budget

I didnt read the article, but this article alone makes me think twice about the credibility of this website.

"Without a doubt, equipping your home gym with dumbbells should be your first priority"

"Companies such as Nautilus & Bowflex have developed adjustable-weight dumbbells that allow you to simply adjust the poundage from 5-50lbs. "

"#3 Choice - Exercise Ball" Exercise ball as the 3rd most important piece of home gym equipment?

"power rack makes the highly effective barbell squat and dead-lift exercises possible"
Since when do you need a power rack to do deadlifts?

"#4 Choice - Power Rack"
Behind 50lb dumbbells and a exercise ball?

Holy shit, i must have too much time on my hands to be typing this crap.

I stopped reading when they said Fedor DOESNT look like the baddest mufucka on the planet.

I stopped reading when they said Fedor DOESNT look like the baddest mufucka on the planet.

he doesnt,i remember fight magazine had him as one of the people u wouldnt expect to be a mma top fighter along with faber and others. He aint ripped he aint gigantic, and he doesnt have the kimbo slice/mike tyson/ chuck liddel scary ass dude face either

While he IS the "baddest mufucka on the planet", you'd never expect it from his appearence. It's so unexpected, that's what makes it so awesome.

It's also awesome how he's the best, yet he's soo humble and never talks shit.

I stopped reading when they were talking about PRIDE, which has been defunct for about two years now, and when they said LSD served no purpose for MMA.

I stopped reading when they were talking about PRIDE, which has been defunct for about two years now, and when they said LSD served no purpose for MMA.

Yeah since everyone knows that an hour, hour and half run translates really well to a 15minute ballistic paced fight.

There's a lot of highly credible guys who say LSD has little to no purpose in MMA.

Fit to Fight by Jason Ferruggia is an amazing book for MMA Strength and Conditioning. He doesn't believe in the validity of LSD in an anaerobic sport.

The article basically states that you should train specifically for the demands of your sport. MMA is performed at a very high intensity and therefore, training should mimic that. Why do you think Franklin, Wanderlei, Lesnar, Sherk etc. are all doing 5 minute, high intensity circuits on those spike all access training specials. I have yet to see an all access where they just showed the fighter casually jogging at a light pace on the treadmill.

Also, we have different types of muscles fibers (fast twitch, slow twitch and fibers that can be altered to take characteristics of either one depending on what sort of activity we do.)

If you're always doing low intensity cardio then your distribution of slow twitch (endurance fibers) will increase. This is actually quite undesirable for a professional fighter that relies on power and explosiveness to knock people out and win fights.

Anyway, if you're fighting 3 five minute rounds with a 1 minute rest inverval, then it only makes sense that your training mimic that as closely as possible.

The article basically states that you should train specifically for the demands of your sport. MMA is performed at a very high intensity and therefore, training should mimic that. Why do you think Franklin, Wanderlei, Lesnar, Sherk etc. are all doing 5 minute, high intensity circuits on those spike all access training specials. I have yet to see an all access where they just showed the fighter casually jogging at a light pace on the treadmill.

Also, we have different types of muscles fibers (fast twitch, slow twitch and fibers that can be altered to take characteristics of either one depending on what sort of activity we do.)

If you're always doing low intensity cardio then your distribution of slow twitch (endurance fibers) will increase. This is actually quite undesirable for a professional fighter that relies on power and explosiveness to knock people out and win fights.

Anyway, if you're fighting 3 five minute rounds with a 1 minute rest inverval, then it only makes sense that your training mimic that as closely as possible.

You seen Fedors training clip? He does a long LSD run and that is something he does each day as a warmup for his real training. You can also see Randy doing some lsd running...
Or what about maraton runner Nick Diaz.

...Also if you are going to do serious training ever in Thailand you better be able to manage some running. The norm is often that for the morning training session you "warm up" with a 10k run (followed by a hard ass training session), then for the afternon session they have you warm up with a 5k run followed by another hard assed training session.

Naturally this isnt the only thing you should be doing, but dont got the "why dont you see fighters...." because that trully are bullshit.

Personally I think slightly longer runs are good because your nervous system cant handle high intensity shit every day so it makes you able to train more days, and if you dont push yourself to hard on it it serves as good active recovery, and your aerobic system also serves the important function in a fight to make you recover faster between the anaerobic bursts.

You seen Fedors training clip? He does a long LSD run and that is something he does each day as a warmup for his real training. You can also see Randy doing some lsd running...

...Also if you are going to do serious training ever in Thailand you better be able to manage some running. The norm is often that for the morning training session you "warm up" with a 10k run (followed by a hard ass training session), then for the afternon session they have you warm up with a 5k run followed by another hard assed training session.

Naturally this isnt the only thing you should be doing, but dont got the "why dont you see fighters...." because that trully are bullshit.

Personally I think slightly longer runs are good because your nervous system cant handle high intensity shit every day so it makes you able to train more days, and if you dont push yourself to hard on it it serves as good active recovery, and your aerobic system also serves the important function in a fight to make you recover faster between the anaerobic bursts.

Sherks cardio > everyone that you mentioned's cardio.

A lot of extremely good standup artists do long runs and very short hard runs (ie bas and his hard runs in the fiorest before training).
Thais live and breath slow long runs.

I cannot comment on ground fighting and MMA because the strains on the body are different.
I do believe some distance running build mental determination though and thats why good fighters are so ruthless in the face of adversity.

Those are a bit different examples though. Diaz runs marathons because he wants to run marathons. It shows in his fight game. He looks slow and sluggish in the ring and his cardio is only 'decent.' Fedor has always said he just loves to run and it mellows him out. Randy primarily does circuits and small amounts of LSD, even then his cardio is questionable.

Fedor is probably your best attempt at an example there and I get what you're saying. Most people only do LSD though because it's expected. You seem like one of those.

Tell me why LSD is better for you in training than anaerobic conditioning. 'Uh, it's good for you' doesn't count.

I won't go as far as to call it useless, but it's the last thing on the list.

Sherks cardio > everyone that you mentioned's cardio.

Who gives a fuck if Sherks cardio is better than Randy or Fedor, thats not the point, it was an direct answer to the sugestion that you never see any on all acess do slow cardio.

slow cardio for slow fighting.

Yeh I agree that alot of people do LSD because its 'expected' or kind of like a 'tradition' but its still good for building a good base level of fitness. If you cant run a few miles without stopping you shouldnt be doing things like sprints imo.

Also about the Fedor thing, of course he looks like the baddest mufucka on the planet. What does being ripped have to do with fighting?

As a matter of fact I HAVE been to Thailand to train and I will be going back there in the very near future. Do you really think that the Thai's are up to date with modern strength and conditioning techniques? Do you think they've ever even heard of HIIT? Trust me, If you took a Thai, with the work ethic they have, and made them follow a modern conditioning program, they'd be THAT much better. The rounds in Muay Thai are even shorter than in MMA so running 10-12K to train for round lasting a couple minutes doesn't make much sense.

. If you cant run a few miles without stopping you shouldnt be doing things like sprints imo.

So football teams from pop warrner to the pros are all doing it wrong?

Back