Military's Special Forces in MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are a handful. Tim Kennedy and Brian Stann are examples. I was in the Marine Corps and was also a martial arts instructor for their martial arts system and let me tell you, its pretty laughable, at least when compared to other martial arts like Bjj, Muy Thai and boxing. Don't get me wrong, it has its place, but its very watered down, as stated by others. Most guys that transition from the military to high levels of MMA generally have more extensive experience in outside martial arts. Simply put, military training is far different than martial arts training and doesn't transition over, like i said, unless they have outside experience. In fact, its very rare that guys that are in the military really do much other training aside from what their job entails. Generally, martial arts and hand to hand combat in the military, at least from my experience, is something to keep the guys occupied when they have down time. 99% of the training they are doing is field op driven, where they basically train to close with and destroy the enemy with firepower, not hand to hand combat.

Yep exactly.

When I was stationed at MCAS Miramar in San Diego that's when I actually took up jiu jitsu because what we were learning in the Corps was somewhat laughable.

Fun side note, and this may show my age a bit, but Ken Shamrock came to Camp Pendleton to show some hand to hand combat techniques to a bunch of us. This was when he was still past his prime but still respected as being a pretty dangerous fighter. All things considered it was actually pretty informative compared to what we were being taught at the time. I had just started training jiu jitsu then and when I told him that I half expected to hear a snide remark about the Gracies or something like that, but he was actually cool about it and told me to keep it up.

LOL, teenage Sherdoggers and their fantasies of "Shaolin monks, Ninjas, special ops troops," beating pro fighters in hand-to-hand combat. :D

You guys have been watching too much Hollywood films.
Im in the military and seen what those guys are capable of and definitely not a teenager, it was just a question.

If you're going to rip someone over semantics, you need to get your own shit straight. A beret isn't a hat, it's a cover.

OMG IF THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOVE "LIKE" I WOULD HIT IT A MILLION TIMES FOR JUST THIS POST. THANK YOU SIR....... Plus, I'm glad the beret is gone in normal OCP or Multicam uniforms. Long live the PC...

OMG IF THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOVE "LIKE" I WOULD HIT IT A MILLION TIMES FOR JUST THIS POST. THANK YOU SIR....... Plus, I'm glad the beret is gone in normal OCP or Multicam uniforms. Long live the PC...
I hated wearing the beret, it's a useless hot (wool) cover that is functionless besides looking okay, doesn't keep the sun out of your eyes... Boonie cap or PC any day of the week.

Yeah that dude is just a know it all moron, who to no one's surprise doesn't know shit.

I see a lot of guys that have zero experience with either the MMA or Special Forces commenting on why more of us don’t go into MMA after we get out of Special Forces.... Well that’s because most of us are in our late 30’s, 40’s, or even 50’s when we retire from a life of deployments, jumping out of planes, carrying heavy ass rucks, and being injured... we also don’t get to spend months at a time honing our skills for entertainment purposes... we fight hard enough if it comes down to that to make space... draw a weapon... and kill someone! Can we fight, yes... but after a life of it, maybe we just want to do something else, spend time with our families, and relax... And it’s true, not all guys spend as much time in the fighting gym learning as others, just like some don’t spend as much time keeping up with their language. However for all of those guys commenting that a Special Forces soldier couldn’t hang... or isn’t a top athlete... how about you go try to become Special Forces, then make those comments! Cause I am sure if given the time to train... lots of guys In SF would do great... they met never hold a belt or title... but they would put on a show!

I've always wondered why we don't see that many guys in MMA that have elite military training. By elite I mean Special Forces (Seals, Green Berets, Para rescue, Rangers, etc..). These guys have some of the most intense, vigorous, and in depth combat training in the world. You would think that after getting out of the military they would put that to use in the real world and work on becoming MMA fighters. I mean nothing they do or see in the cage can compare to what is going on in the Middle East. Obviously there have been a couple, Brian Stann and Tim Kennedy are the two big ones. I've just always thought those Special Forces guys were the pinnacle of badassery. You would just think there would have been more of those guys transitioning into MMA and making a little bit of cash with their training. What do you guys think?

Because they spend a shitload of time training for what they do in the field. Very little of it is MMA, although they do some training. Most martial arts training they do is individual work. More time learning recon, threat assessment, skills specific to their deployment, language work and a shit ton of other things. And even those that are not fucked up in combat wind up with a fuckload of other injuries just from training.

Far more time is spent on the range and drilling for actual combat scenarios. No one really wants to mix it up hand to hand.

I've always wondered why we don't see that many guys in MMA that have elite military training. By elite I mean Special Forces (Seals, Green Berets, Para rescue, Rangers, etc..). These guys have some of the most intense, vigorous, and in depth combat training in the world. You would think that after getting out of the military they would put that to use in the real world and work on becoming MMA fighters. I mean nothing they do or see in the cage can compare to what is going on in the Middle East. Obviously there have been a couple, Brian Stann and Tim Kennedy are the two big ones. I've just always thought those Special Forces guys were the pinnacle of badassery. You would just think there would have been more of those guys transitioning into MMA and making a little bit of cash with their training. What do you guys think?

Because they’re busy being badasses and working for private armies with guaranteed monthly payments for much more money than the UFC can offer. And you can’t take room clearing, throat shots, bayonet combat and sniper shots into MMA. Completely different skill set. A specop doesn’t run at a dude and do a double leg. He double taps him with his MP5.

And the top Specop dude is between WW and MW in weight. Snipers maybe lower.

They are better suited for protecting private corporations interests abroad.

Randy Couture (U.S Army)
Jorge Rivera (U.S Army)
Brandon Vera (U.S Air Force)
Tim Kennedy (U.S Army)
Liz Carmouche (U.S Marines)
Dan Barrera (U.S Air Force)
Tim Credeur (U.S Navy)
Damien Stelly (U.S Army)
Clinton Williams (U.S Air Force)
Brian Stann (U.S Marines)

Colton Smith US Army won TUF but got wrecked in the UFC.
Many military guys, you just don't hear them brag about it. And as you can see, most of them didn't do too well in MMA.
Next you will ask how come we don't draft MMA fighters into the military

Smith finished Ranger school but wasn’t a Ranger.

Smith finished Ranger school but wasn’t a Ranger.

Good call. It’s safe to say only service members know the difference between the tab and the scroll. Like the females that went through ranger school. They got a tab and went back to their units. They aren’t Rangers.

By the time theyre out, they want fuck-all with fighting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back