Military's Special Forces in MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
guile via sonic boom

latest

Different types of skill sets, they love to work with weapons, trained to work in a team environment, make way better money as a private contractor, don't have to touch gloves with the enemy, would kill Dana if they worked under him, etc.

Different types of skill sets, they love to work with weapons, trained to work in a team environment, make way better money as a private contractor, don't have to touch gloves with the enemy, would kill Dana if they worked under him, etc.

Especially this.

:)

Are all of you retarded? TS isn't claiming that SF guys can beat MMA fighters. He's saying that to make it into a SF team, you would need to have an incredibly strong mind and an incredibly strong body. This should translate very well to MMA. That's why the TS is asking why we don't see more of them.

Tools.

Are all of you retarded? TS isn't claiming that SF guys can beat MMA fighters. He's saying that to make it into a SF team, you would need to have an incredibly strong mind and an incredibly strong body. This should translate very well to MMA. That's why the TS is asking why we don't see more of them.

Tools.

Most of them can't function when they get home.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not knocking him at all, but wasn't Stann "just" a Marine?

Colton Smith wasn't just in the service, he was a Ranger and is a head trainer for the hand-to-hand stuff. You remember him, the guy who said MMA was too easy after what he'd been through.

That was before he was finished in 3 of his 4 UFC fights.

You're right in that Stann wasn't partner Special Ops, which include the Army Special Forces- Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, MARSOC, Air Force PJs.

Special Forces =/= SEALs, Rangers, etc. That's Special Ops.

Brian Stann was just an infantry Marine... who, like me, rode around in Humvees (very mobile), rather than in troop carriers or such.

Billy Evangelista was a Airborne infantry in the U.S. Army.

I was in the marines. Not special forces but I have a good understanding of what they learn.

It's essentially jiu jitsu training mixed in with basic mma training.

Please understand that these guys aren't being trained to pull guard or stick and move when their opponent has a knife or a gun. Put the ufc roster in a war zone with any military infantry unit and the fighters get fucking killed quickly. However, these military units aren't training 8 hours a day in hand to hand combat. If it becomes a hand to hand combat situation then the unit has probably already failed their mission and they are in the middle of a shit storm.

You train to kill quickly from a distance, or to kill quickly from close range without your enemy knowing you are there. You don't train to make it a fair fight. Lol.

Your best bet for a trained killer in hand to hand combat situations is actually probably a CIA clandestine officer. They are more likely to be alone behind enemy lines without much in the way of weaponry, and have to be able to defend themselves if they are outed. Even then, I doubt they train hand to hand combat anywhere near as often as a ufc fighter.

Most of those guys spend a majority of their physical prime doing you know, Special Ops stuff. That does take an incredible toll on your body. I'd imagine after being an embodiment of a modern day warrior for so long, you would just want to come home and drink, smoke and relax.

Of course, there are a few exceptions. (Tim Kennedy)

I'm sure there are a handful. Tim Kennedy and Brian Stann are examples. I was in the Marine Corps and was also a martial arts instructor for their martial arts system and let me tell you, its pretty laughable, at least when compared to other martial arts like Bjj, Muy Thai and boxing. Don't get me wrong, it has its place, but its very watered down, as stated by others. Most guys that transition from the military to high levels of MMA generally have more extensive experience in outside martial arts. Simply put, military training is far different than martial arts training and doesn't transition over, like i said, unless they have outside experience. In fact, its very rare that guys that are in the military really do much other training aside from what their job entails. Generally, martial arts and hand to hand combat in the military, at least from my experience, is something to keep the guys occupied when they have down time. 99% of the training they are doing is field op driven, where they basically train to close with and destroy the enemy with firepower, not hand to hand combat.

It comes down to the ruleset. You're not allowed to kill, you don't work with a team, no firearms, among many other things. The rules take away anything a special forces guy might have on a MMA fighter. You're left with a guy for whom hand to hand combat is just a small portion of his overall training regimen.

1. Brian stann wasn't special forces. He was an infantry officer which is still bad ass.

2. Soldiers/Marines/operators are taught to KILL not fight.

3. Take a UFC fighter, drop him in a forest preserve and the military guy will eliminate that threat quick. Take the military guy and put him in a cage and he's going to get beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back