Do you think MMA fighters are the toughest people in the world?

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Obviously MMA fighters are on the short list of toughest people in the world. They chose a career which requires them to do constant combat with other well trained people for very little money. They have to constantly overcome pain and injuries not to mention all of the other mental stuff that's required to compete with the best.

But the question is are they THE toughest?

My honest answer is NO!

I think there are a few groups out there that require more toughness to be a part of than MMA. For example I think Navy Seals, Special ops in the military, high level CIA subgroups, NFL lineman, power slap contestants (Ha, funny I know!), special force groups who patrol the border, etc. etc.

MMA fighters are generally very tough, but i would say no to them being the toughest people in the world.
It has been proven that sports such as gymnastics, bull-riding, boxing and chess are tougher

Depends on how you define toughness. Overall military involves life and death situation and can be called the toughest. Though a tough military dude would get wrecked in an MMA fight.
Slappers are not tougher though. They are just not bright is all.

MMA fighters are generally very tough, but i would say no to them being the toughest people in the world.
It has been proven that sports such as gymnastics, bull-riding, boxing and chess are tougher
you should’ve highlighted chess grandmaster, those guys matches last for days on end with no sleep, eating, standing up, or loss of focus… legit badassery

Carnies are among the toughest in the world. Imagine having to go through life smelling like cabbage and having small hands

It's hard to say. There's no real metric for "tough".

I think when you look at guys like the Seals they're pretty tough in any situation which may be the most important thing. They have to be absurdly mentally strong in the most high stress scenarios imaginable. They can survive in just about any environment provided minimal equipment. They can continue to operate and/or survive through greivous injuries. They achieve objectives when plans go to shit. They're probably somewhere between good and excellent in any kind of combat whether it's hand to hand or weapons.They can function for a long time without sleep, food, or any form of relaxation.

IMO that kind of toughness is different than anything you can expect from a fighter.

Top 10 list in no particular order: Fire fighter, Alaskan king crab fisherman, ice road truckers, oil rig workers, cell tower technician, steel worker, logger, smoke jumper, military, CG search and rescue.

Tough people are in a lot of different sports and professions. It's a type of person, not what your sport is.

Depends how you look at, I guess. Imagine being a soldier in Russia v Ukraine for the last couple years….that’s tough. Regardless of side…

I’m going with mountaineering. Not your “Sherpa carries my shit” types but the guys climbing peaks we’ve never heard of.

every mma gym in my area has air conditioning. That’s all I need to know

Freeclimbers…in-sane

No doubt they are tough, but they do not train to kill they train to beat people up.

Obviously MMA fighters are on the short list of toughest people in the world. They chose a career which requires them to do constant combat with other well trained people for very little money. They have to constantly overcome pain and injuries not to mention all of the other mental stuff that's required to compete with the best.

But the question is are they THE toughest?

My honest answer is NO!

I think there are a few groups out there that require more toughness to be a part of than MMA. For example I think Navy Seals, Special ops in the military, high level CIA subgroups, NFL lineman, power slap contestants (Ha, funny I know!), special force groups who patrol the border, etc. etc.
there are people running around every day in the third world who are enduring things people in the first world can't imagine. lack of food, extreme heat, poverty and overwork and exhaustion, if you tried living one of their lives for one day you'd die, either that or just lay down and give up.

i went to india one time and got in a tuk tuk and watched an old man pull the thing up a hill and it would be hard to describe it - middle of delhi, insanely hot, insanely crowded, people and animals and shit all over the place, the cart made of scrap wood and the wheels bare metal, no rubber at all on them, and this old guy is skinny as a rail and his arms and legs look they're made of iron and he is straining like mad against the whole thing and it was one of the craziest things i've ever seen in my life. that's what being tough is, not someone training for some sport.

Last edited:
MMA fighters and special ops infantry are the toughest people in the world

I know a few military guys who have been in some nasty shit, maybe you can appreciate their next level toughness, here are a few true stories

a SF guy I know was in Afganistan during early OEF, were patrolling on foot in the mountains near the Pakistan border at night when they were ambushed and completely overwhelmed (small arms and mortar) The had multiple shooters on them who had the high ground, their ODA (11 man team) was pinned down. They couldn’t get comms to the FOB because of the terrain, my friend was the SF commo guy or 18 E on the team. His task was going to be to break off to call for an assist or a fire mission, the rest of the group was to sit tight until support came and then meet back up at an established location. All this stuff is basically pre-planned in case of an emergency situation anywa, they just rarely actually us the PACE plan. Anyway him and the 180 (Warrant Officer), covertly split off from the group and moved down mountain out of effective range of the enemy, than moved a few K’s parallel and went right back up to find a spot to get communication established. While the others from his team suppressed the threat so it took them a few hours to get down, and then another few hours to get back to altitude and find a suitable site, by now dawn had broken. They called in a fire mission, hell reigned down on the enemy and the remaining ODA backed out and moved to the meet up spot, they didn’t lose anyone. However it wasn’t until a few hours in that my buddy realized he had been shot at some point during the initial skirmish, he caught a bullet in the flank that his body armor stopped after it passed through the flesh without hitting an organs.

I also knew a guy who was in Ramadi Iraq during the OIF campaig. He was on mission and they were ambushed by a sniper, he was lucky and only hit by a ricochet, but he was caught in the face by a 7.62 slug. The impact didn’t knock him unconscious, just badly rang his bell. Once he realized it wasn’t a fatal wound and regained composure, he assisted with getting the other injured to the MEDEVAC before getting treated himself. He went on and stayed in the military another decade to finish out his military career.

Attachments

• IMG_3813.jpeg
    IMG_3813.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 1
Boys who played online shooting games in early 2000's.

Back