Military's Special Forces in MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
cause the deadly nut strike and eye gouge.

Thats all it takes to beat anybody. A Womens self defense class.

Randy Couture (U.S Army)
Jorge Rivera (U.S Army)
Brandon Vera (U.S Air Force)
Tim Kennedy (U.S Army)
Liz Carmouche (U.S Marines)
Dan Barrera (U.S Air Force)
Tim Credeur (U.S Navy)
Damien Stelly (U.S Army)
Clinton Williams (U.S Air Force)
Brian Stann (U.S Marines)

Colton Smith US Army won TUF but got wrecked in the UFC.
Many military guys, you just don't hear them brag about it. And as you can see, most of them didn't do too well in MMA.
Next you will ask how come we don't draft MMA fighters into the military

Brian Stann was "just" a Marine...

Not special forces.
You're right in that Stann wasn't partner Special Ops, which include the Army Special Forces- Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, MARSOC, Air Force PJs.

Special Forces =/= SEALs, Rangers, etc. That's Special Ops.

Sergei is Russian Airborne.

its something to be proud of, not something to brag about

Yes, Moti. I might be confusing Kerr for coleman. I do know that Kerr smashed Ranger Stott, however
Both those guys took down and beat the shit out of Moti. I saw him win a kickboxing comp at some point he was an ok striker fwiw.

The knee on Stott is almost as legendary as Stotts stomping jab from 5 feet out.

Yes, Moti. I might be confusing Kerr for coleman. I do know that Kerr smashed Ranger Stott, however
His first fight was Coleman. He regrouped, came back, and got pitted against Kerr. Fucking brutal.

Id imagine alot would have an excellant cardio base to work off. But I also think being in the field has zero bearing on a cage fight. Partly because the feeling would have to be vastly different. You got a ref who can jump in plus hand to hand combat in war would likely be bayonets, knives, shovels or any instrument lying around. fighting with fists would have to be an extreme last resort..

Even in ancient warfare fists would have been a last resort. Plus gauntlets would end your schnoz pretty quick..

Guile in Street Fighter is the closest I could come up with.

latest
guile via sonic boom

yeah why doesnt the UFC hire a bunch of dudes from the israel army with their krav maga skills

Most of them are career military men, staying in until retirement. SOF also deploy at an insanely high rate, more than any other career fields. They deploy, come home for a few weeks to a few months, then head back out. Doesn't leave time for hobbies.
This^^^ the guys I knew who did high level MMA pursued it mostly I their off time, the schedule and OPTEMPO doesn't always allow for time to properly train to fight for a sport.

I've always wondered why we don't see that many guys in MMA that have elite military training. By elite I mean Special Forces (Seals, Green Berets, Para rescue, Rangers, etc..). These guys have some of the most intense, vigorous, and in depth combat training in the world. You would think that after getting out of the military they would put that to use in the real world and work on becoming MMA fighters. I mean nothing they do or see in the cage can compare to what is going on in the Middle East. Obviously there have been a couple, Brian Stann and Tim Kennedy are the two big ones. I've just always thought those Special Forces guys were the pinnacle of badassery. You would just think there would have been more of those guys transitioning into MMA and making a little bit of cash with their training. What do you guys think?

It comes down to specialization. I'm guessing special forces types in most army's spend a few weeks tops per year training hand to hand combat. I'd bet they spend much more time on far deadlier martial arts like marksmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back