Military's Special Forces in MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
They train with weapons and not so much hand to hand combat. There was an Israeli special forces guy who got destroyed by Mark Kerr before
Moti Horenstein? He also got destroyed by Coleman. I'm sure he loves Art Davies haha

Real answer is they don't spend enough time training martial arts techniques.

Mirko CroCop.

cro-cop1.jpg

They use weapons. Hand-to-hand is a last resort or for silent killing.

It's not really that weird that people with an elite, highly specialized skillset than does not translate at all seldom enter a pro sport after first spending their physical prime doing said career.

It's not that they aren't good, it's that they are good at something completely different.

Turns out the military uses weapons so their hand to hand is usually for self confidence and for bonding. They don't expect to engage in much hand to hand.

I've always wondered why we don't see that many guys in MMA that have elite military training. By elite I mean Special Forces (Seals, Green Berets, Para rescue, Rangers, etc..). These guys have some of the most intense, vigorous, and in depth combat training in the world. You would think that after getting out of the military they would put that to use in the real world and work on becoming MMA fighters. I mean nothing they do or see in the cage can compare to what is going on in the Middle East. Obviously there have been a couple, Brian Stann and Tim Kennedy are the two big ones. I've just always thought those Special Forces guys were the pinnacle of badassery. You would just think there would have been more of those guys transitioning into MMA and making a little bit of cash with their training. What do you guys think?

Brian Stann was "just" a Marine...

Not special forces.

Mirko being on of the best HW fighters ever isn't enough ?

Fedor also started learning a lot of his shit in the army via Combat Sambo I think.

Moti Horenstein? He also got destroyed by Coleman. I'm sure he loves Art Davies haha
Yes, Moti. I might be confusing Kerr for coleman. I do know that Kerr smashed Ranger Stott, however

People who train hand-to-hand combat full time are gonna beat guys who train hand-to-hand part time and guns part time.

There isn't secret badass techniques that will make SF guys MMA champs.

Because they spend their physical prime doing those ops.

Can't begin training MMA at 40.

Unless you're CM "GOAT" Punk, of course.

Uh.. cause you can't shoot people in MMA? Or focus on life ending moves that are more effective in combat?

The fact is, MMA is a SPORT. In real life why wouldn't u be kicking to the nuts over and over and then rushing in for eye pokes or just stabbing the guy wiht your knife if you somehow are out of bullets?? Why wouldn't u stick your fingers in someones eyes and rip them out when u have top control? Or be trained to always have something to make it so 1 or 2 or 3 strikes is all it takes to win? I mean seriously.... u put a baseball sized rock in trained killers hands and you're gonna get hurt or die.

Being good at fighting with rules is a whole new level. Yes there's always the aspect of someone landing that big first punch. But military trained guys aren't trained to go charging in all rambo. They are trianed to end lives in the most discrete and efficient possible ways.

Most of them are career military men, staying in until retirement. SOF also deploy at an insanely high rate, more than any other career fields. They deploy, come home for a few weeks to a few months, then head back out. Doesn't leave time for hobbies.

I remember this Spetsnaz dude. Got mounted by some can but then ...

Then he showed up in DREAM and got pwnt by Ralek

i tink that's the first tko from punches from the bottom i've ever seen.

because their skills are too deadly. the rules exist to protect fighters from guys like that and shaolin monks

They don't like MMA because they are not allowed to go beast mode and kill everyone.

Because combatives is a very small part of the skill set you have to be efficient at as an operator. You have to make time for jumping, diving, shooting, comms, CQC, prisoner retention, fire team movement etc..

Infantry and SOs are gun fighters not cage fighters. As most of the people on this site already know, it takes a lot of dedicated training time to become really good, like anything else. That's an amount of time active guys don't have to allocate just to unarmed training. The guys that are good in the teams or wherever else are the ones that had prior training before they went into the service, or go to an MMA gym in their off time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back