Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

I don't know why this blew up because Royal Marine commandos are basically SOF. They have their own selection and basic training is 32 weeks.
I saw this story in that other thread. Having been in exercises like this though, I highly doubt we are getting the true story. The odds were probably stacked against the marines from the beginning. They probably weren’t meant to win. As elite as Royal Marines probably are, their small teams aren’t wrecking battalions of marine grunts.

It reminds me of a big exercise that made headlines years ago about how marines stomped an airborne brigade. When I read into it, the marines had naval bombardments and navy jets take out all the Army helicopters before landing. Yeah wow. Real newsworthy. I’m sure this was the same kind of shit.

These training events have value. That is likely how the Marines would go after a dug in army and they have to learn to coordinate these forces. The big headline though is a lie. The point of these exercises is never to determine a winner or who is better. That’s a waste of time.

Last edited:
How does the ball work for DIs?

2 MEF to include Parris Island isn't doing one , which pisses me off, we haven't had one since 2019. Basically when we did it back then if you were I cycle they would Roger up a few good souls to be on the Platoons alone for a Day and half , then that allowed those that paid for a ticket to go. If you were on outpost or Quota you more than likely went to the Ball, it's like any standard ball but bigger , and a lot of drinking and dancing.

2 MEF to include Parris Island isn't doing one , which pisses me off, we haven't had one since 2019. Basically when we did it back then if you were I cycle they would Roger up a few good souls to be on the Platoons alone for a Day and half , then that allowed those that paid for a ticket to go. If you were on outpost or Quota you more than likely went to the Ball, it's like any standard ball but bigger , and a lot of drinking and dancing.
I never went to one. Kinda regret that now.

Here we have the U.S. Army (OPFOR) giving hell to the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG), nicknamed 'The Welsh Cavalry.' The Regiment is the senior Cavalry Regiment, and therefore senior Regiment of the line of the British Army. JRTC, Ft. Polk, LA.

@Darkballs
@Blayt7hh

Last edited:
In the least, did you attend a mess night?
I don't think we ever had one because I didn't know what a mess night was until years after I got out. But it sounds pretty lame.

I don't think we ever had one because I didn't know what a mess night was until years after I got out. But it sounds pretty lame.

Depends. They can be a comedy shitshow, or traditional and formal.

Here we have the U.S. Army (OPFOR) giving hell to the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG), nicknamed 'The Welsh Cavalry.' The Regiment is the senior Cavalry Regiment, and therefore senior Regiment of the line of the British Army. JRTC, Ft. Polk, LA.

@Darkballs
@Blayt7hh

Being OpFor is fun.
Being stationed at Polk has to be not fun.

@Darkballs
@Blayt7hh

I was in that exercise.
The brits were with our CAV boys. Fine people. The weather was horrible even for jrtc standards.

The G-men were on fire.

I was in that exercise.
The brits were with our CAV boys. Fine people. The weather was horrible even for jrtc standards.
I was at JRTC in August of 2004 attached to the 3rd Infantry Division as a Civil Affairs unit. This was prior to their deployment to Iraq. I did not get to play with the OPFOR. There was a small group of Canadian soldiers going through the rotation. Those boys were very good and professional. Ft. Polk is actually a nice post, better than Ft. Hood, TX. The barracks for visiting units sucked. It must have dated back to the 1950s. Cracks and holes on the floor. No hot water and the food was terrible. At least I wasn't sleeping in the field.

* I had a chance to play OPFOR at Ft. Dix, NJ, back in 1991 as a new and very young 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry. Our team actually had one helicopter, an old Army Huey. OPFOR (red) always gets the advantage on the friendly forces (blue) in being told where they are at all times. Horrible weather (rain), MREs, and sleeping in the field. I had some top NCOs helping me out. Man, I can't believe that was 30 years ago.

- Happy Veterans Day!

Last edited:
That was the gist of it. Never saw a female, but I never ran into them back in garrison, just in the field. Mostly senior guys, but the impression I got was since they didn't really deploy en masse to Iraq during the initial invasion, the guys they sent were generally careerists of guys with about 8 years in.

Only interacted with them during the initial invasion back on '03. I was with 1st Recon then, on loan from 1st Radio Recon. I think most were the Royal equivalent to our LAV crewman. 1st Recon moved a bunch with the LAV's, as they were usually the farthest units north at the time.

I like the history of Radio Recon. The initial RRT had no fucks to give and excelled.

Last edited:
Back