Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

I like the history of Radio Recon. The initial RRT had no fucks to give and excelled.

Did you get a chance to work with them? I was in 1st RadBn, which is now 3rd RadBn, out of K. Bay, HI in the late 90's - mid 00's.

To all the lifer
Did you get a chance to work with them? I was in 1st RadBn, which is now 3rd RadBn, out of K. Bay, HI in the late 90's - mid 00's.

Nope. I was a part of that whole debacle with ANGLICO when they deactivated.

Last edited:

Did you ever come across Boggs? He was at Schofield at the time, but went to K. Bay often. Fucking giant. He's almost 7'.

Did you ever come across Boggs? He was at Schofield at the time, but went to K. Bay often. Fucking giant. He's almost 7'.

The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember anyone by that description. Was he Army? I don't remember working with Schofield very much. Just using the grounds for field exercises.

The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember anyone by that description. Was he Army? I don't remember working with Schofield very much. Just using the grounds for field exercises.

He was one of ours, Comm.

How the U.S. Marine Corps will change (short of being rid of) starting in 2021.
"The Marine Corps is going to get smaller, with even larger manpower cuts planned for the future. The current goal for Force Design 2030 is to reduce the size of the Marine Corps by about 12,000 Marines from 2020 levels, creating a Corps with about 174,000 Marines by 2030." What does this mean for selection to being a Marine with limited slots in the Corps? A harder boot camp.

How the U.S. Marine Corps will change (short of being rid of) starting in 2021.
"The Marine Corps is going to get smaller, with even larger manpower cuts planned for the future. The current goal for Force Design 2030 is to reduce the size of the Marine Corps by about 12,000 Marines from 2020 levels, creating a Corps with about 174,000 Marines by 2030." What does this mean for selection to being a Marine with limited slots in the Corps? A harder boot camp.
8 years to get to that level? Change the way you evaluate talent, force retirement, rack and stack people with “paperwork”, change units to Reserve units. I don’t think getting into the Marines will be all that difficult. You still need guys coming in.
You could just bump the minimum ASVAB score from like 9 to a 10.

I remember when a RIF happened after the first Gulf war. There was this E-6 who was working as a med tech in the E.R. and he just seemed... Different. I told him so, he laughed and said "Oh, yeah. I was a Captain and got RIF'd. They told me that I could get out now or, finish out my time as a TSgt. (a year and a-half) and retire with Captain pay."

Sounded like a plan to me.

"The top killer of soldiers, Army vehicle deaths are tied to poor training -- Twenty soldiers died during on-duty incidents during fiscal 2021."
That is actually a small number when compared to fatal motorcycle accidents for military personnel. About 5 times that number. When I was at SOUTHCOM in 2006, I used to read the casualty list about every other day. There was a stateside report and a theater report (Iraq/Afghanistan). The majority of these deaths (motorcycle) were related to head injures for not wearing a helmet. That is where the majority of organ donors in this country come from. Some say that Dick Cheney received his new heart (transplant) from a soldier.

* The CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopter used by the Marines is also a "death coffin." The Marine Corps has known this for years and is still flying that shitty helicopter around. The upgrades are still shit. It all has to do with faulty wiring. Can any of you 'jarheads' confirm this?

Last edited:
So, here are 10 life lesson from an old soldier for those planning to stay in the military for a few years:

1. Life is imperfect. It is for you and everyone else. The sooner you accept this, the easier life will be. Mistakes are made by everyone regardless of rank. Learn from it.
2. People you think are your friends may turn out to be your enemy, and people who you thought were your enemy may turn out to be your friend.
3. Assignments that you thought were going to suck turn out to be fun and a great experience. The same is true for assignments you thought were going to be great and turn out to truly suck.
4. Like John Wayne used to say: 'Life is hard, it is harder if you are stupid.' The sooner you accept this, the easier life will be.
5. Always be nice to cooks (those who feed you) and the finance folks (those who pay you). They can both make your life miserable if they want to. Be nice to the supply Sergeant (S4) also.
6. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. So, when you hear a comment you don't like, just ignore it or tell them like it is.
7. There is usually one 'dickhead' in the group. Figure out who that person is early. Don't be that person.
8. Never be afraid of asking your NCOs for help. Two heads are better than one, and many have more experience than you. Give them credit when things go right, and take the blame when things go wrong.
9. There is a reason why we have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Listen to good advice.
10. Never reprimand enlisted soldiers in front of a group -- do it behind closed doors.

* I'll add some more as they come to mind. Feel free to add to my list.

Last edited:
11. Get married ASAP so you can skate out of work and extra duty all the time.

Personnel Qualification Standards, sign offs to achieve qualifications/advancement ect...
Being married hurts your promotion chances or something?

Back