Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

My mistake, that was the short version. Here is the long version:

What are the two guys doing looking out from the plane before the first jump? And I’m assuming the guy counting was the last dude out?

What are the two guys doing looking out from the plane before the first jump? And I’m assuming the guy counting was the last dude out?
Well, you have to ask them...
Seriously though, it most likely had something to do with the drop zone where they were going to be landing.
There are two rows of jumpers, the video only really shows one row.
. HAHO: High Altitude High Opening
. HALO: High Altitude Low Opening
. HANO: High Altitude No Opening - my favorite... :)

Spotting the DZ, making the calls for move to the rear, 1min, stand by, go..

Last guy out counted chutes ensuring they opened and wants to be the high guy to monitor the stack below, his delay let's that happen he's likely the team Sargent.

More information for a Halo you can spot the DZ but what you're really looking for is the release point which is calculated (from winds at altitude) to get the guys to a DZ either Halo or haho.

@Strychnine - I have found new respect for the U.S. Air Force (time 8:48):

"There are some fates worse than Death: Lt. Col. Mike Drowley"

Last edited:
@Strychnine - I have found new respect for the U.S. Air Force (time 8:48):

"There are some fates worse than Death: Lt. Col. Mike Drowley"

My feelings are a little torn on them....US air support saved our lives on many occasions, but it took them 3 years before they even responded to the UK inquiry into the death of my friend. 28 air strikes a day was probably average for the 6 months in Garmsir. The place had enemy tunnels and all sorts of shit:

"The American investigation into the death said the experienced pilot did not realise how similar the locations of the insurgent forces and the 45 Zulu Company 45 Commando Royal Marines were.
He fired 230 ammunition rounds in the incident on December 5 2006, fatally injuring Marine Wigley, of Hook, Hampshire, and wounding another marine.

The pilot had already successfully attacked Taliban forces three times that day, and another 28 air strikes were called as the troops withdrew following Marine Wigley's injury.

"Pilot One misidentified the target, in part due to similarities in the tree lines and their proximities to building complexes, and in part due to human factors," he said,

"A Forward Air Controller with Marine Wigley's troop called in an air strike to strafe a line of trees running to the west and to the south of Zarif Kalay, a target already attacked a number of times successfully by the pilot.

"Marine Wigley was struck and killed by a cannon round fired from the F18 aircraft."

My feelings are a little torn on them....US air support saved our lives on many occasions, but it took them 3 years before they even responded to the UK inquiry into the death of my friend. 28 air strikes a day was probably average for the 6 months in Garmsir.
Well, I'm sorry about your friend and I'm also sorry for the American pilot who killed your friend by mistake and has to live the rest of his life with that guilt. Mistakes happen. You can't blame the whole U.S. Air Force for that incident. Like you said, more lives were saved than lost.

Well, I'm sorry about your friend and I'm also sorry for the American pilot who killed your friend by mistake and has to live the rest of his life with that guilt. Mistakes happen. You can't blame the whole U.S. Air Force for that incident. Like you said, more lives were saved than lost.

I have more anger towards the administration that decided to wait 3 years before being pressured into responding. They totally avoided the investigation up until that point.

Personally I have no pity for the pilot concerned- if in doubt, don't pull the trigger.

I have more anger towards the administration that decided to wait 3 years before being pressured into responding. They totally avoided the investigation up until that point.
The My Lai massacre took almost two years to come to light. That was roughly 500 dead Vietnamese civilians.
Personally I have no pity for the pilot concerned - if in doubt, don't pull the trigger.
Pretty harsh in my opinion. We all make mistakes...

well if it was an F-18, the USAF had nothing to do with it at all. And as a former FAC, i can honestly say air tasking orders are ALWAYS the hardest to do because of having to juggle air vector approach angle, which munitions are available and what we call 'battlespace awareness'. You call artillery or mortars on a single spot and thats basically it. With aircraft you have to visualize yourself in the seat of another person looking at you from a position you have next to no visual or topographical reference for, and you are doing it very quickly in a fairly loud and chaotic environment. Thats why i almost always advised AGAINST gun runs unless basically youre in a 'prairie fire' kind of situation.

They strafed a column of LAVs in broad daylight during Desert Storm. Chair force gonna chair.

The 1st Night before TD 1 in DI school and the Power is out in our Buildings , it's Hot there are bugs everywhere . FUN times ahead.

My feelings are a little torn on them....US air support saved our lives on many occasions, but it took them 3 years before they even responded to the UK inquiry into the death of my friend. 28 air strikes a day was probably average for the 6 months in Garmsir. The place had enemy tunnels and all sorts of shit:

"The American investigation into the death said the experienced pilot did not realise how similar the locations of the insurgent forces and the 45 Zulu Company 45 Commando Royal Marines were.
He fired 230 ammunition rounds in the incident on December 5 2006, fatally injuring Marine Wigley, of Hook, Hampshire, and wounding another marine.

The pilot had already successfully attacked Taliban forces three times that day, and another 28 air strikes were called as the troops withdrew following Marine Wigley's injury.

"Pilot One misidentified the target, in part due to similarities in the tree lines and their proximities to building complexes, and in part due to human factors," he said,

"A Forward Air Controller with Marine Wigley's troop called in an air strike to strafe a line of trees running to the west and to the south of Zarif Kalay, a target already attacked a number of times successfully by the pilot.

"Marine Wigley was struck and killed by a cannon round fired from the F18 aircraft."

I'm sorry you lost your friend man...

One day we'll study war no more...

The 1st Night before TD 1 in DI school and the Power is out in our Buildings , it's Hot there are bugs everywhere . FUN times ahead.
Have you been told if you're gonna be a Series Guns yet since you're already a SSgt?

So you'll have to be a kill hat even as a SSgt? :eek:
When I went to Bootcamp all my Drill Instructors were SSGTs. As long as the Senior is a SSGT or Gunny I can be a Kill hat and the J hat can be a Sgt over me , true storym

When I went to Bootcamp all my Drill Instructors were SSGTs. As long as the Senior is a SSGT or Gunny I can be a Kill hat and the J hat can be a Sgt over me , true storym
I only had 3 and the SDI was a SSgt who started out as a Sgt. Our drill hat picked up SSgt during the cycle though.
Man, fricking HSST list, huh?

I only had 3 and the SDI was a SSgt who started out as a Sgt. Our drill hat picked up SSgt during the cycle though.
Man, fricking HSST list, huh?

Yeah but I'm pretty old for a new HAT when I graduate anyways. 32. Slow promoitng MOS. The MSGT looked me and gave me Props for actually choosing this route . I'm ready to fucking work , my key Mentors in the Marine Corps were Prior hats, about. 7 out of 10 , the Other 2 recruiters and 1 guy so good at his Job 0 b SDAs but is now a Master Guns in the fucking Pentagon.

Yeah but I'm pretty old for a new HAT when I graduate anyways. 32. Slow promoitng MOS. The MSGT looked me and gave me Props for actually choosing this route . I'm ready to fucking work , my key Mentors in the Marine Corps were Prior hats, about. 7 out of 10 , the Other 2 recruiters and 1 guy so good at his Job 0 b SDAs but is now a Master Guns in the fucking Pentagon.
Is your MOS part of MarSOC? I wonder if putting in a package gets you out of HSST.

Back