Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Thai Domi, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

I agree, I could be a nasty piece of work when deployed but only against those who warranted it. I've had to grip some colleagues before to stop them going to town on people/their homes. Anyone can be the 'tough guy' when clearing rooms with civilians...it doesnt mean you have the right to trash their shit and destroy their home on the 'chance' they're one of the bad guys.

Can't imagine what it must have been like for guys in the 60s and prior etc...before cameras were literally everywhere.

2. Phr3121

Phr3121 Red Belt Platinum Member

That is interesting. I did not know the U.S. Army would do that. That must be something new. I thought once you earned the Ranger or Special Forces tab, it was for life. I would think demotion in rank to be the higher punishment since it affects your pay.

3. Mike Hagger

Mike Hagger Purple Belt

For sure that tab can be ripped off your sleeve and removed from your dd214. Usually when we do it the guy is chaptered out not long after. The ranger tab is more difficult to revoke. I'm certain SEALS can do the same to this sociopath.

I think a demotion is high but that's a big moral and future employment blow to take one of those things. I think it's more of a sign to the guy who is punished.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. Phr3121

Here is a great documentary on the My Lai massacre and what a complete 'fuck-up' that operation turned into. Over 500 women, children, and old men were killed by American soldiers on 16 March 1968 -- Vietnam. I just don't understand how any soldier could follow that order, but the documentary does a very good job of explaining the circumstances.

My Lai - American Experience, PBS.
    Link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/mylai/#part01

Hugh Thompson was a true hero that day. A helicopter pilot (warrant officer) at the time. He put himself and his helicopter between the villagers and the U.S. troops. 'Big balls' to say the least.
    [​IMG]

5. Phr3121

6. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

I'd wreck that so bad her gynecologist would think she's been in a car crash

7. Phr3121

The My Lai massacre took 20 months to come to light. Between 347 and 504 unarmed civilians were killed by U.S. Army soldiers from Company C, 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 11th Brigade, 23rd Infantry Division. Of the 26 men initially charged, only 1 was convicted and released. No one served any 'real' time after the Court Martial. Truly amazing. Gruesome pictures of the dead victims were taken. The face of fear frozen as they died -- children and women. Wikipedia covers the event well with some of the pictures included at the bottom. The documentary is more gruesome.

"South Vietnamese women and children in My Lai before being killed in the massacre. According to court testimony, they were killed seconds after the photo was taken. The woman on the right is adjusting her blouse buttons following a sexual assault that happened before the massacre."
    [​IMG]

* I still can't wrap my head around that many civilians being killed by U.S. soldiers. A dark chapter in the U.S. Army history. Not sure what those soldiers were thinking. Poor leadership (officers/NCOs) and 'mob' mentality.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    BillytheFish and Strychnine like this.
  8. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

<escalate99>

Silent Liker and Phr3121 like this.
  9. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Phillip Caputo's book "A Rumor of War" outlines two separate incidents he was involved in that can show how at least in Vietnam by the mid to late 60s people were cracking.

They go through a village, find AKs and mortars and ask where the VC are. They get the usual BS runaround of "no VC here". They leave the village and get hit by what would now be called a remote IED. They find a wire leading back to the village. Caputo knowing night is coming as the platoon commander passes word down the line (remember, no radios on everyone at this stage) to "watch out for mines". Caputo himself in the book in a more polite form says "with 2 dead and another 4 wounded there's no point in going back to the village". The statement become "willy pete that vill we went through" by the time it hits the end of the line so 3 dudes lob white phosphorous into the village and it burns to the ground.

He recounts another one where they got mortar'd by a different village so they launch WP grenades into the village then the heat of the jungle fire they started coupled with being in the bush for like 3 weeks causes the whole platoon to crack and they storm the village WHILE it's still on fire shooting everything that moves that isn't in a US uniform.

In BOTH instances but more detailed in the second I THINK he states that they let the people burned but shot the animals so the animals wouldn't have to suffer.

My dad was in Vietnam in 63 so back when the Aussies where there as well as South Koreans and two Australian rangers went missing. My dad and 4 Aussies, 3 Marines, and another like 5-6 Naval guys found the missing rangers... hanging from trees with their heads cut off and placed in their stomach cavities.... he's never been specific but from the way my dad acted while telling the story I can only assume the next like 2-3 settlements they found in the immediate vicinity were burned to the ground.

It doesn't excuse it but there's something about that jungle in Vietnam that did shit to people.

Phr3121, BillytheFish and Strychnine like this.
  10. Phr3121

That was a good write up, and unfortunately bad things happen to 'innocent' civilians in war. Marines and soldiers alike are guilty of raping and killing un-armed civilians. There will always be bad 'apples' in the bunch. Again, that is a leadership issue with NCOs and officers. 2nd Lieutenant Calley is probably the most hated junior officer in U.S. Army history for his role in My Lai, but he is not alone. His Company Commander and NCOs are just as guilty of killing un-armed women and children.

Just like Chief Gallagher and Trump, Nixon made the controversial decision to have Calley released from armed custody and put under house arrest. In August 1971, Calley's sentence was reduced from life to twenty years. Calley would eventually serve three and one-half years under house arrest at Fort Benning. In September 1974, he was paroled.

All it takes for 'evil' to prevail is for good men to do nothing. That was certainly the case on March 16, 1968.

Calley was running a pawnshop outside of Ft. Benning, GA, (Columbus) about 35 years ago.

Strychnine likes this.
  11. Phr3121

@Strychnine, this one is for you. Non-Christians can move on to the next post...

Strychnine likes this.
  12. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

Thanks for that Brother.

13. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

14. Rozko

Rozko Black Belt

Gregolian likes this.
  15. LifeIsNotFair

LifeIsNotFair So stop being poor.

Or stealing jets.

Rozko and BillytheFish like this.
  16. Gregolian

Or using their crayons for something other than food.

Rozko and Phr3121 like this.
  17. LifeIsNotFair

LifeIsNotFair So stop being poor.

Rozko and BillytheFish like this.
  18. Gregolian

Rozko likes this.
  19. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

What an absolute legend, totally worth it IMO lol.

"A sentry on duty noticed him climbing into the cockpit, Shelton said, but "he couldn't get his attention or stop him."- in other words: here guy, take this $100 and look the other way while I get this baby in the air lol.

20. Hail to the Redskins

Hail to the Redskins Black Belt

Rozko and heavyarms21 like this.