Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Is be fucking pissed if I saw Pence as I got off my boat.

Not thread worthy, and the Lounge regulars won't care but figured you guys would. Coasty went full "OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR FREEDOM IS KNOCKING"
Ok, if that is a submarine, why did they just not submerge?
Is that Coast Guard SOP to open a hatch and stick your head inside? ...open the hatch and drop a grenade.
The Cost Guard is no longer part of DoD? It is now part of Homeland Security. Interesting.

Ok, if that is a submarine, why did they just not submerge?
Is that Coast Guard SOP to open a hatch and stick your head inside? ...open the hatch and drop a grenade.
The Cost Guard is no longer part of DoD? It is now part of Homeland Security. Interesting.

Yup. When the Government shut down, there were a lot of coasties going without pay for a long time.

They were Air Assault long before I got there. Still had jump school in Ft. Benning and as soon as I got to Campbell had to do Air Assault school, which was only 11 days long. I honestly don't know when the last airborne combat jump happened, at least for the 101st. I think the 82nd had a few jumps in the Iraq campaigns but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Funny story, about the halfway point through infantry school, when they tell you what duty station you're going to be assigned to, one of my drill sergeants was salty as my roster number was assigned to go to 173rd, the airborne unit in Cahenzli, Italy. He would tell me how lucky I was, for about a week.

You see, after we left 30th AG after getting issued our equipment, someone went AWOL, throwing the roster numbers off by 1. Drilly was super happy to deliver the news that there was a mix up and that I was going to Kentucky instead.

Last edited:
Were they still airborne or had they already been designated air assault by then?
Re-designated Air Assault in October, 1974. They wear the 'Airborne' tab for historical reasons. Veterans from WWII are rolling in their graves. 'Band of Brothers' unit.

I honestly don't know when the last airborne combat jump happened, at least for the 101st. I think the 82nd had a few jumps in the Iraq campaigns but I'm not 100 percent sure.
. 950 paratroopers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade jumped into Bashur, Iraq, in March 2003.
. 2,500 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division jumped into Panama City, Panama, in December 1989. That was a drop from 500 feet at night! A lot of injuries that night and guys getting stuck on the beach sand due to low tide.
. 4 SEALs drowned during the 1983 invasion of Grenada after parachuting into the water. Now, how could a U.S. Navy SEAL die from drowning you ask? A miscalculation in the extra weight of live ammunition.

Last edited:
. 950 paratroopers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade jumped into Bashur, Iraq, in March 2003.
. 2,500 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division jumped into Panama City, Panama, in December 1989. That was a drop from 500 feet at night! A lot of injuries that night and guys getting stuck on the beach sand due to low tide.
. 4 SEALs drowned during the 1983 invasion of Grenada after parachuting into the water. Now, how could U.S. Navy SEAL die from drowning you ask? A miscalculation in the extra weight of live ammunition.

Very interesting, thanks for this

I worked with one of their boarding teams in Iraq for 3 months, good guys. Tried to upload a photo here but it won't let me. We developed a mutual hate for the US Navy officers on our little base lol.

. 4 SEALs drowned during the 1983 invasion of Grenada after parachuting into the water. Now, how could a U.S. Navy SEAL die from drowning you ask? A miscalculation in the extra weight of live ammunition.
75th has jumped mass tac static line 3 times and their reconnaissance det has a few more. Starting in 02.

173rd did a combat jump in Iraq as well.

There's more.. but as I looked they're not acknowledged. They weren't static line that much I'll say.

@Phr3121

I will say even as a long time airborne guy, Panama was the most recent undisputed combat jump. Those guys hit the ground and went to work right away in a fight. They also didn't even bother with reserve parachutes and there was no time at 500ft to identify a malfunction and pull the reserve.

I won't downplay the more recent static line jumps, they were all low and at night,
carrying a very heavy load. The boys were ready for anything just didn't turn into a hot DZ. 173rd especially takes some flak but I think people are just jealous they don't have a star in their wings. I know a few guys who did these jumps, it's a good experience to have around as they learned what works and what doesn't.

I will say even as a long time airborne guy, Panama was the most recent undisputed combat jump. Those guys hit the ground and went to work right away in a fight. They also didn't even bother with reserve parachutes and there was no time at 500ft to identify a malfunction and pull the reserve.
Indeed. One of the officers I worked with in Civil Affairs was in that Panama night drop. It was a 'fucked up' jump to say the least. Because of the low drop, there were lots of guys with broken legs, knee injuries, and more. I was in Panama City a few times when USSOUTHCOM was headquartered there. They have now moved to Miami, FL. I went to the beach where the soldiers landed. At low tide it is 'mud' city. Parts of it are similar to quicksand. It is an ugly dark kind of sand. Soldiers would hit the beach and be stuck up to their waist. The locals would come out to try to help them and were shot. The soldiers didn't know if they were friend or foe. Eventually the soldiers figured they were 'friendlies' and allowed them to get close enough for a rescue. All this while the bullets were flying - at night.

The Panama canal is a wonder to be visited. I would drive down to see the cruise ships going through the canal. The women at the clubs were beautiful. I would say 50% were Colombians. Days when I was young and single.

Hey @Mike Hagger, is that you there in the front leading the boys? Who is the clown with the 'Sapper' tab? He wore a 'Sapper' instead of a 'Ranger' tab? WTF?

Hey @Mike Hagger, is that you there in the front leading the boys? Who is the clown with the 'Sapper' tab? He wore a 'Sapper' instead of a 'Ranger' tab? WTF?

Head up and arch looked like a bunch of good exits to me.

I didn't see the sapper tab, don't forget we have engineer sgts on the team it's a good school for them. What clown wears all their patches on a jump is my question lol.

I didn't see the sapper tab, don't forget we have engineer sgts on the team it's a good school for them. What clown wears all their patches on a jump is my question lol.
My mistake, that was the short version. Here is the long version:

Back