• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Miesha Tate says that she spent 98% of her return fight purse covering training expenses

lifeline.png

This is Sherdog. If he dies, he dies.

He's an asshole for trying to bury a fighter just trying to get more money. Dude doesn't even fight anymore, what is Dana paying him to tweet pointless shit?

He's an asshole for trying to bury a fighter just trying to get more money. Dude doesn't even fight anymore, what is Dana paying him to tweet pointless shit?
Is she asking for more money? All I heard was her complaining that she spent all her money "investing on herself" and that "management and taxes take 70% off the top". As anyone who has owned their own business will tell you, there are a lot of taxes you have to pay. They will also tell you that investing in your business (in this case, herself) are deducted from your income pre-tax. That should include whatever percentage her manager takes.

Also, the way she tells it her management and taxes take 70%. Most management contracts and the American tax system are percentage based, so that percentage would scale with her income. So even if the UFC paid her an additional 200k she would have only taken home 60k more. If this is true, she needs a better accountant to handle her tax liability and a more efficient manager who's going to generate at least as much income for her than they cost. Otherwise, what's the point of having a manager?

Is she asking for more money? All I heard was her complaining that she spent all her money "investing on herself" and that "management and taxes take 70% off the top". As anyone who has owned their own business will tell you, there are a lot of taxes you have to pay. They will also tell you that investing in your business (in this case, herself) are deducted from your income pre-tax. That should include whatever percentage her manager takes.

Also, the way she tells it her management and taxes take 70%. Most management contracts and the American tax system are percentage based, so that percentage would scale with her income. So even if the UFC paid her an additional 200k she would have only taken home 60k more. If this is true, she needs a better accountant to handle her tax liability and a more efficient manager who's going to generate at least as much income for her than they cost. Otherwise, what's the point of having a manager?
What about living? She decided to get into shape and fight about a year ago. Because of this, she didn’t do any other work while she trained. How much do YOU live on? I know personally I need to make (after tax) about 100,000$/year to be decently comfortable. Expenses of living count.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what she is doing having been in the game for decades at the highest level and has options when it comes to choosing her management team.

What about living? She decided to get into shape and fight about a year ago. Because of this, she didn’t do any other work while she trained. How much do YOU live on? I know personally I need to make (after tax) about 100,000$/year to be decently comfortable. Expenses of living count.
Living expenses are something everyone has. This isn't some unique thing that MMA fighters or pro athletes in general have to deal with. There isn't really any way to quantify what a "comfortable" living is, but what I can say is that living expenses are something you should budget for based on what your income is. If she's living beyond her means, that's a problem she is causing for herself. She either needs to cut spending or increase her income.

Also, I don't know if you watched the video but she talked about all the money she spent flying in her team and flying to other places to train. I'm sure having a good team is important, there's probably more cost effective ways of doing things than flying people all over. Perhaps looking for someone local or doing some remote sessions between in person training.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what she is doing having been in the game for decades at the highest level and has options when it comes to choosing her management team.
You can give her that. All I'm saying is that if you hire a manager to advance your career, and they are costing you more than they are making you, then perhaps they aren't advancing your career like they should. If she's complaining about how much she's spending on her management, I doubt they are making her more than they are costing her.

Living expenses are something everyone has. This isn't some unique thing that MMA fighters or pro athletes in general have to deal with. There isn't really any way to quantify what a "comfortable" living is, but what I can say is that living expenses are something you should budget for based on what your income is. If she's living beyond her means, that's a problem she is causing for herself. She either needs to cut spending or increase her income.

Also, I don't know if you watched the video but she talked about all the money she spent flying in her team and flying to other places to train. I'm sure having a good team is important, there's probably more cost effective ways of doing things than flying people all over. Perhaps looking for someone local or doing some remote sessions between in person training.

You can give her that. All I'm saying is that if you hire a manager to advance your career, and they are costing you more than they are making you, then perhaps they aren't advancing your career like they should. If she's complaining about how much she's spending on her management, I doubt they are making her more than they are costing her.
She also spoke about how she chose to run her team by flying people to her, because she is a new mother and still breast-feeding her son! It would be much more expensive for her to uproot her entire family and fly her kids all over the place to be with her when she trains. I know a lot of guys don’t care about or respect that, but that is a reality for the biology of women. People seem to forget that she’s just had two children in the last three years. She had to be creative with her training because of the physical constraints of motherhood at this time.

She also spoke about how she chose to run her team by flying people to her, because she is a new mother and still breast-feeding her son! It would be much more expensive for her to uproot her entire family and fly her kids all over the place to be with her when she trains. I know a lot of guys don’t care about or respect that, but that is a reality for the biology of women. People seem to forget that she’s just had two children in the last three years. She had to be creative with her training because of the physical constraints of motherhood at this time.
Or, y'know. Grow up and be a reliable mother and give up on the pipe dream.

If this is true then she has bunch of people taking advantage of her and/or she is just blowing money on stupid crap.

I'm sure she makes plenty of money off of sponsorships. She'll be fine.

Or, y'know. Grow up and be a reliable mother and give up on the pipe dream.
Who the hell are you yo criticize? She did more before 30 then you’ll ever do in your entire life. Really chaps your ass that a woman out earns you and can kick your ass doesn’t it?

Reactions: HHJ
Who the hell are you yo criticize? She did more before 30 then you’ll ever do in your entire life. Really chaps your ass that a woman out earns you and can kick your ass doesn’t it?
Meh, I got no problems grinding a 40 hour work week and making 100,000 grand a year. Bit any way, I'm just a normal dude, that has opinions. Miesha isn't above criticism. No one is. Also, she may have done more than me in my life, but I ain't broke, and I don't use my social media followers to get a has station employee fired over a pickle.

She just uprooted her whole family from Hong Kong back to the US.

Seems like it would make more sense to move them closer to her training camp.

Meh, I got no problems grinding a 40 hour work week and making 100,000 grand a year. Bit any way, I'm just a normal dude, that has opinions. Miesha isn't above criticism. No one is. Also, she may have done more than me in my life, but I ain't broke, and I don't use my social media followers to get a has station employee fired over a pickle.
She never said she was broke simply that the purse was spent. She’s actually a multimillionaire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back