Media Michael Johnson On Khabib x Tony

I hope Tony lays down smiling at the beginning of the fight and waves in Khabib.

At no point will Tony stop Khabib from getting takedowns, but hopefully he will scramble better than previous challengers did against Khabib. I also hope he has improved off his back because this will be a futile fight if Tony doesn't bring some surprises on the ground.

The main takeaway from fighting Khabib is, he executes very well due to a lack of damage, not just wrestling.

Khabib decision
or Tony by doctor stoppage (nyc)

If Khabib stops Tony (not the ref), he is officially the man.

I know its stupid, I’m just calling the guy out on his misguided confidence. And by the way guys, I don’t gamble so I don’t know what I’m talking about here.

Ahh okay. Yeah you have to understand odds vs actual probabilities to make sense of it. All good.

That's a solid breakdown but embracing the grappling is exactly what Khabib wants, the more you resist and try to advance your position the more you have to open yourself up and give him the space he wants to pummel you.

I had a similar opinion to you thinking Tony would be ruthless with the elbows from the bottom and relentlessly looking for sub's and scrambles from the bottom when this fight was signed the first time but over the years I've changed my mind.

Khabib is just so aware and positionally sound on top it's unlikely he'll put himself in positions he knows would play into Tony's strengths and the more Tony tries to force those positions the more vulnerable he'll make himself.

We've seen Tony survive adversity coming back from big knockdowns to demoralise and overwhelm his opponents who thought they were on the verge of victory but we've never seen him have to react to being controlled and punished for a prolonged period in the same sort of demoralizing fashion.

Should be a great fight and could go either way but I'm leaning towards Khabib now a days.
Great breakdown. A lot of Tony fans are banking on his insane conditioning, but the x-factor is that Khabib knows how to put opponents in positions where he’s energy efficient and they’re not. It doesn’t really matter how well conditioned Tony is if he falls into Khabib’s traps, he’ll drown like everyone else. Tony’s only real path to victory IMO is unorthodox stand up. Khabib is human so he can be badly hurt by something he doesn’t see coming like everyone else.

Oh really, how am I incorrect? Khabib is going to be in guard, trying to shove his head under Tonys chin( Which his camp is on record saying will be the strat ) which will let Tony hold his neck and prevent posture and establish rubber guard. From there its Elbow City and chaining subs. If I'm wrong break it down for me
Khabibs not going to be in guard.
He's going to do everything he can to land in half guard and pass to side, because what he wants is crucifix. Free reign to the head with a 2-on-1, and elbows to the body, all while taking away the threat of subs and elbows from the bottom.

Khabib normally waits a minute in every round before he tries the first take down. Tony, with his pace can do so much damage in 1 minute, he makes Khabib a bloody mess.

yeah, but Khabib ain't waiting 1 minute if Tony comes in on him like you say. he waits 1 minute because he's allowed to, if Tony comes at him Khabib will go for a takedown.

While 28-0 speaks for itself at LW it does not provide evidence that Khabib has a strength of a HW.

I see an exaggeration there.

Khabib cried that he does not want to fight at WW, because he would give away weight... he prefers to kill himself at weight cut and to have a size and strength advantage, cause that what his style is based on.

If he would be as strong as HW, he would move up no problem.

The following are examples of a size advtange.

Conrat stats.jpg

Jones LHW + HW.jpg

Khabib is an average sized lightweight at best.

Khabib LW + WW 02.jpg

The way Tony doesn't defend the TD, Khabib will have his way with him. I think people will be surprised how easy he makes It look.
I think so too. I do think Ferg has a chance to pull of a sub but that would be the same odds as someone having a 'punchers chance'.

Khabib > Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson > Tony (Tony also had declined to rematch Johnson)

Khabib > Michael Johnson > Tony

p/s
MJ also had defeated Poirier. What a resume on this guy.

tony fight, al fight twice , rda fight ...

He didn’t look bad at all in those fights. Al fights were close and could go either way. Probably needed to stop chasing that RNC and choose a different attack. He didn’t have Firas in his corner back then to give him that advice.

He mounted Tony and nearly finished him and had a bad staph infection that made him run out of gas. If he was healthy that day he would probably win that fight.

RDA was at 170 and still it was competitive in a division were win over RDA gives you title shot.

Kevin is still young and developing. He definitely has the potential to be the champ soon

He didn’t look bad at all in those fights. Al fights were close and could go either way. Probably needed to stop chasing that RNC and choose a different attack. He didn’t have Firas in his corner back then to give him that advice.

He mounted Tony and nearly finished him and had a bad staph infection that made him run out of gas. If he was healthy that day he would probably win that fight.

RDA was at 170 and still it was competitive in a division were win over RDA gives you title shot.

Kevin is still young and developing. He definitely has the potential to be the champ soon
"Kevin is still young and developing. He definitely has the potential to be the champ soon" Kevin lee is the new eric silva lmao.

His age doesn't matter, what matter is his " MMA age", and he is old, he took a lot of damage. Loosing to al iaquinta and rda, two guys khabib dominated easily is not a good indicator of kevin lee's potential ...

And lol " firas in his corner" wtf ?? fires is just another kavqanaugh, the dude only had one great fighter, other than that, almost 0 UFC championship. Your talking like fires is some pep guardiola or some shit.

"If he was healthy that day he would probably win that fight." he always gassed after 2 rounds, the staph is just another excuses from his fanboys, even him didn't use it, he knows what's up ...

I would love Khabib to get caught in a d'arce. I just do not see it tho. Khabib is on that Jones level where he is so good and immortal looking that I just want to see someone break the aura of invincibility, but I don't see it happening. Even with Mouse at his best, he was losing rounds. Khabib has never looked remotely mortal since Tibau, and he was a kid then and still 30-27'ed on the cards. IMO, he beat RDA better than even Colby or Usman. He has done this his whole life and has no weaknesses. Smesh is incoming. Heck, I might put a grand on Khabib, so if he loses I can be happy either way.

Translation:

I can confidently say that the pressure that Khabib puts on is the most powerful I have encountered.
When he’s above you you feel like you’re fighting a middle or heavyweight.
I don't think tony can stop him.

Ever since this guy lost to Khabit he can't stop downplaying his embarassing performance by worshiping his opponent.

Tony is not going to get caught on the cage trying to stand up like Johnson and get wrist rode while Khabib talks to Dana. He's going to piece khabib up on the feet. If Khabib shoots, he'll threaten Darce. If Khabib secures a take down Tony will lock in his rubber guard and start dropping bows and threaten with triangles. Most guys get caught trying to survive the grappling where tony will embrace it. He's not coming to fight Khabib he's coming to kill him. Its something Khabib has never really faced imo.

Khabib's camp talking about head position in guard, being under the chin....yea good fucking luck getting there, good luck not getting swept, good luck not eating some serious bows and when you're in the midst of the deepest shit you've ever been in and you realize tony only gets stronger when he's tired and tastes your blood you're going to be really really fucking disappointed you took the fight.

Let's just pray it happens this time

yes because khabib has been swept so many times. there are dozens and dozens of fighters like him who can trap the legs and armof their opponents and render them helpless

khabib is not unique in his top control, not at all. he doesnt posess better overall technique and or brute grappling strenght than the next guy. i think you are totally right, khabib will get swept like he is a feather in top of tony.

easy fight for tony for sure. being on the bottom with khabib on top is what any fighter embraces. with the tony its the same. its not like tony would have the fight rather standing', he is kinda like nick diaz in the anderson silva fight, tony wants to be on his back with khabib on top. i totally get what you are saying. it makes so much sense

Each fight different. Tony endurance helps him more so than most who faced Khabib plus versatile. Unfortunately Khabib might hurt Tony enough early to negate. Tony has courage to try some moves that could get lucky but they can also back fire and leave Tony more exposed. Hope Tony fights smart keeps it standing early in rounds the. Take chances last 1-2 minutes where he can ride out clock if in a bad spot. Khabib is less likely than Chael who will succumb to a triangle late in a fight he is winning.

"Kevin is still young and developing. He definitely has the potential to be the champ soon" Kevin lee is the new eric silva lmao.

His age doesn't matter, what matter is his " MMA age", and he is old, he took a lot of damage. Loosing to al iaquinta and rda, two guys khabib dominated easily is not a good indicator of kevin lee's potential ...

And lol " firas in his corner" wtf ?? fires is just another kavqanaugh, the dude only had one great fighter, other than that, almost 0 UFC championship. Your talking like fires is some pep guardiola or some shit.

"If he was healthy that day he would probably win that fight." he always gassed after 2 rounds, the staph is just another excuses from his fanboys, even him didn't use it, he knows what's up ...

Lol at Kevin being old, he is just hitting his prime. He’s 27 now and with 18-5 record he still has a lot of miles left. And he didn’t take that much damage in his loses.

Tristar is a much better gym than SBG. They had GSP, Rory, Kenny Florian and Miguel Torres. Also a lot of guys from different gyms do camps there and most people agree that Firas is one of the sharpest minds in the fight game.

Back