Melvin Guillard Potentially Getting Cut?

He makes weight, he comes to fight every fight, and he's an explosive striker. If they did cut him, he'd be an excellent pickup for any other organization.

he is athletic but extremely one dimensional

wich overall doesnt make him a good fighter.

but he is worth about one good highlight a year.

He's entertaining and he's good and that is the business he is in so I doubt they will cut him. He may not be a contender at the moment but not everyone in the UFC is a current title shot contender.

He is exciting and still a good fighter I don't know if he would lose again to Lauzon, he had a horrible gameplan vs Miller and had a chance of winning until eh decided to throw jumping knees, he was reckless against Cerrone and got ko'd by one of the ebst strikers in the division because of it and he was competitve with Varner. They should just give him a lower ranked opponent next

It was a mistake for him to leave Jackson's. Melvin is an emotionally immature fighter with a bad attitude. He needs a firm hand to train him, not a bunch of people who are only interested in feeding his ego.

I think he gets one more shot, but I'm often wrong, so he may be cut. My feeling is since he's still considered exciting, and has only lost to good guys, he may get a match with someone well down the standings, perhaps a 'loser gets cut' match?

He's 1-4 in last 5 fights. Of course he should be cut. This forum is so ridiculous.

Melvin has been cut before and made his way back with a finish elsewhere. It could play out like that again.

His chin is overrated. He gets rocked in every fight just about. He will never be more than a gatekeeper at best.

1-4 in his last 5 fights. it doesnt look good. and even worse considering he has been stopped in 3 of those 4 losses.

in all fairness though i dont think he should be fired after the varner fight. it was a good fight which could have gone either way. i think they will give him another pretty easy fight to get him back on track.

No. Melvin is an established vet. UFC treats their vets right. He'd have to lose like 5 in a row to get cut.

I never understood how everyone thought Melvin was a top contender. He's hot talent and all but he folds quick. I was glad Lauzon beat him & brought him back to earth

That would be dumb. The guy just to need take a break and improve his ground game.

He won't be cut. And I don't think fighters who bring it everytime should be cut.

It was a mistake for him to leave Jackson's. Melvin is an emotionally immature fighter with a bad attitude. He needs a firm hand to train him, not a bunch of people who are only interested in feeding his ego.

Very, very, very well put!

He hasn't even accumulated the dreaded three fight losing streak. They should match him up with Gomi if he loses to Diego.

UFC tends not to like letting go of people with knockout potential like his but if you don't perform...

I dont think he should be cut, I still think he beats a large majority of the UFC LW roster

I dont think he should be cut, I still think he beats a large majority of the UFC LW roster

He beats a lot of the bottom yeah but he's 1-4 in his last five with the win coming against Camoes. He needs to win, big time.

I despise hearing people talk about numbers, "he's 1-4 in his last 5", etc.. Frankly I don't give a shit it somebody loses 10/11 fights as long as those fight are both competitive and entertaining. It's one of many beefs I have with North American fans, too concerned with stats and the big "W's" that they forget what makes the sport entertaining in the first place. Japanese people have the right attitude, once your warrior spirit becomes apparent you're always respected and welcome back to compete, win or lose. In NA a guy loses 3 in a row and he becomes a "bum" or a "can" (i really hate this term). Hell, even the heroes get shit on during the twilight of their careers, like Chuck and Arlovski.

Regarding Melvin, I think it's impossible to deny his potential. His flaws aren't physical, he lacks a certain mental fortitude. I think he has made improvements in this area, evidenced in the Varner fight. He didn't fold under pressure the way he typically does. In addition, he's exciting as fuck to watch. Cutting this guy would be a travesty.

Back