Meltzer: Early estimates for #182 - 740-820k

Not bad. Proves the UFC still might could do a million seller ppv with the right fights.

They pushed it hard. I thought around 700. Anything over that is really good. Congrats to the UFC.

The old MMA market? Did that conveniently end one year ago? We're pretty much one year removed from UFC 168, which of course made over 1M buys.

Jones has never been one of the biggest draws so 750k is fantastic for him, but we're not that far removed from guys like GSP and Silva doing more than that.

Again. You fail to realize how much hype and money they threw at Jones/DC to make it the must see fight of this year. They couldn't break 1 mil with that. When in the old market (Yes even if it ended "Conveniently" a year ago, I would say 3-4 imo) it would have got 1 mil easy. It's really easy to understand. The bar has been lowered and now 750 is the new 1 mil.

Lol. WTF. That's the exact opposite of the point you were making.

Anyone who says 750k isn't great is a ratard.

Thanks for that post
I thought I missed something

It's a shame the card wasn't good.

Won't win any new fans with that one.

Yep, had it been like some of the other cards recently it probably would have generated more buys for the next shows for newcomers.. no doubt about it.

I hope some enjoyed anyways, though. This goes to show that the Jones name WILL sell. Just needs more great opponents or possible catch-weight super-fights!!

Again. You fail to realize how much hype and money they threw at Jones/DC to make it the must see fight of this year. They couldn't break 1 mil with that. When in the old market (Yes even if it ended "Conveniently" a year ago, I would say 3-4 imo) it would have got 1 mil easy. It's really easy to understand. The bar has been lowered and now 750 is the new 1 mil.

No, that's plain to see but you apparently confuse speculation with fact.

And if you say it ended 3-4 years ago then there's plenty of examples where PPV's have made more than this did. One common thing those PPV's had were that they were headlined by proven draws. Jon has never been that, nor has DC, so they just had the hype itself.

I would say great numbers, but that card was so crappy that I think the more people payed for it, the worse...

Good but bad

Anyone who actually looked at the card in detail knew some of the fights were going to be awful

Ufc put a lot of dead fights on the main card and it backfired

Most people won't tune in again who got hyped into this card and the main event

It was never going to hit higher than 800k
That's just a bs figure then again we are always given an estimate which has been bumped up also

I would say great numbers, but that card was so crappy that I think the more people payed for it, the worse...

This is not true at all, is this really the general consensus about this ppv card?

I bought this card (first one in a long time)and had a few friends over, two of whom knew nothing about the UFC (one asked what the difference between MMA and the UFC was)...the guys that didn't know much about it were excited to watch though. I talked up some of the guys to set up the fights and after Felder's spinning backfist, everyone was going crazy.

Needless to say after the night was over, I don't think they were 'hooked.' They said they enjoyed it but I could tell they were lukewarm on it.

I know its one of the "cool story bro" posts but it goes to show, I'm guessing the UFC lost a lot of possible fans with this card. So, while the buys were good, this night could have gone a ton better...

I know its one of the "cool story bro" posts but it goes to show, I'm guessing the UFC lost a lot of possible fans with this card. So, while the buys were good, this night could have gone a ton better...

You can't lose fans you did not have, but I get your point
If the card was rock-em, sock-em would it have been better?
Of course

The buys is nothing but positive.
It shows a big fight that is promoted well can draw even with a weak main card.

You can't lose fans you did not have, but I get your point
If the card was rock-em, sock-em would it have been better?
Of course

The buys is nothing but positive.
It shows a big fight that is promoted well can draw even with a weak main card.

Pretty much, it illustrates that 1 blockbuster fight can sell an entire card. People basically paid for the main event.

Pretty much, it illustrates that 1 blockbuster fight can sell an entire card. People basically paid for the main event.

Yes, casuals care about names
A co-main can help with someone like Ronda

Good start to the new year, I hope it ends up being higher than this.

Back